Credit/background check and drug testing.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

VesicaPisces
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2006, 12:26 pm

How is one supposed to rebound from debt if many constructures(corporations/organizations) use credit as a criteria for hiring? If one has difficulty procuring employment because of debt, how is one supposed to pay the debt? This system is inefficient.
I agree that a urinalysis for drugs that are highly addictive and life threatening is wise. However, I do not agree that marijuana falls into this spectrum. For most jobs, marijuana is probably best left at home, though when one is at home, these constructures should have no right to dictate what one does for personal leisure, expression, creative activities, socializing, etc.etc..
When I fill out applications, I would prefer not to "submit" to these "dictums". If I could broadcast a message to everyone on Earth I would say to not "submit", and their would be no other choice than to do away with these policies that have crept into place while we were not looking.
What are your thoughts/feelings on these issues? Do you agree/disagree? Why? :)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Sep 2006, 3:57 pm

Before I retired, I did some hiring and I think those screenings are excessive. Unless you're applying to be an airline pilot or a surgeon or something. Or heavy equipment? yeah, the guy that operates the crane, he should be guaranteed steady.

The truth is that you can screen till you drop and you won't know what you've hired until the probationary period ends.

As for marijuana, I want it legalized and I don't want to hire anybody who does a lot of it. I had a guy that reeked of it all day long, and his brain was elsewhere.

Isn't it odd that they test for all that stuff and they don't test for alcohol? No indeedy, they *serve* alcohol at their parties. What a strange world.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 5:48 pm

Credit check for a job? You must be in California. Apparently a credit check is an extra layer of character reference designed to feel out your "mode of living." Here's a little more info from privacyrights.org that tells you what a prospective employer can and can't find about about you.

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2006, 10:54 pm

Wow -- I don't think drug tests are that big of a deal.

I had surgery three days before the test so there was probably morphine, codine, propofol, and sevoflurane in it at least. According to HR the important thing was to list what I'd taken and as long as I was honest no problem

Also where I work you would have to be totally stupid to fail. They give you a cup, an address to drop it off at, and a form to complete about what drugs you have used.

As far as credit checks, it makes sense if you are in a job where you handle money or accounts. My husband had to do a check every year for the first few to keep bonded (insured against anything getting stolen).

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 3:22 pm

I don't mind having to get a drug test done for a job, as long as you're honest and list every drug you're taking, there should be no problem. By getting to that point, it means that you're about to be hired.

cman_yall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2006, 9:44 am

If the employer can't tell, then they obviously don't need to know.