argh....daughter is failing first term of HS....

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2011, 7:47 am

She has a 504 and an IEP in most of her classes and she is still failing. She is even failing her favorites, science and history. Her problem is that she can't organize. Really this is a disability sized problem. She doesn't do poorly on most of her tests and classwork, but when it comes to homework/or assignments that have to be stored somewhere, she can't organize.

Unfortunately, part of her make-up/personality and one of her symptoms is that she doesn't like help/doesn't want anyone fooling with her stuff. Because of the way HS is done here, she only has one more quarter to fix it before they change classes. My concern is that it takes her a while to adjust to new (classes, situations...etc). So by the time she is adjusted, we're in the second quarter and it's also the last quarter. What to do?

On one hand, I think that she has to figure this part out since she won't accept help from really...anyone. On the other hand, what do you do when you have a disability sized problem with organizing? IF you have a reading/math disability, you can get help/support. But if you have an organization disability, this is a problem you really have to figure out on your own.

Has anyone run into this....and how have you dealt with it. I've accepted that it's not going to get fixed this term, but this means double the work next term....not sure how that will go.

Bethanie

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 8:04 am

I had a massive problem with organizing in high school (now in my 5th semester of college and finishing my Associates Degree), and what helped me solve it was carrying around an expanding file folder for all my homework assignments. The very first pocket held my school agenda, and I had notes on all my binders/folders/notebooks to take it out and write down my homework assignments. Each of the following pockets was labeled for each subject I was taking that I would get homework in (Science, Math, English, History, etc.) and as soon as it was assigned, I would put the homework sheet itself, as well as anything else I needed for it, in the correct pocket; if I needed my textbook for the homework, I would stick an extra sheet of paper I had made up at the beginning of the term to remind me that I needed the textbook, or to take it home if I kept it a school. When it was time to do homework, I would go through my file folder from front to back and wouldn't move on to the next assignment until I finished the previous one, so I didn't skip anything or forget it.

This solution really helped, and my grades improved thanks to it. It was hard getting used to using the folder, but I took Sharpie markers and printed off stickers of some of my favorite photo thumbnails to decorate it and make it mine.

I hope your daughter is as willing to try this as I was, and I hope it helps.

A fellow Aspergirl,
Sarah :)

hoegaandit
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Oct 2011, 8:47 am

I would recommend the book Smart but Scattered (by Dawson and Guare), as long as you are prepared for a very comprehensive book (ie will take a while to get through it). Our son managed to get through high school until his penultimate year (this year) and I think if his mother and I had worked through this book much earlier, it would have avoided the problems we have been having this year.

The book is so comprehensive that I think you could find the solutions to any executive function/organisation issues (even non-compliant children)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm

My son really hit the wall on organizational issues in 6th grade, nice and early I guess, which may have turned out to be fortunate.

I played personal secretary for a year and a half until his development caught up. I guess we are super lucky that it actually did.

A friend of his just hit the wall on it this year, first quarter high school, just like your daughter.

To be honest, I have a HUGE issue with grading rubrics that rely way too much on organizational skills, and staying on top of every little thing every little moment. Kids can do something as simple as forget to turn in the work done in class, that the teacher SAW THEM DO, and face a grade killing zero, with little to no chance to make it up. It takes 4 1/2 perfect papers to bounce back to even a C from a zero!

And the worst part is that this rubric is not in place because it increases learning, but because it increases classroom discipline, and allows organized kids who follow instructions but can't test well to get better grades.

End of rant. Your daughter is far, far from alone, and please do go give the school an earful about it.

OK, the more constructive suggestions:

1) Find out if your school uses a system like SchoolLoop or Aries and then check it religiously. IF the teachers are using the system properly all assignments will be posted, along with due dates, AND all graded components will be posted. That will help you spot those deadly zeros fast.

2) If that isn't available, request a copy of everything be given directly to you, so that you can help your daughter monitor the assignments.

3) If your daughter is assigned to resource, academic support, or study hall, request that the teacher review binders and assignments with her at least weekly, and interface with her teachers to make sure everything is being tracked and turned in. The period can also be used by her to simply review and reorganize daily - that can be her assignment for the period. If she isn't assigned to a period like that, consider giving up an elective so that she can be. We did this for my son at the end of 6th grade and while it was a tough choice to make, it was the right one. He remains assigned to a support period and we've found it useful over time for all sorts of things; it definitely gets us on top of problems faster and gives my son a set advocate that is in easy interaction with all the teachers. My son also seems to feel more ownership to the resolution of issues when the advocate is with the school then he does when the advocate is me; by this age they definitely don't like mommy interference, do they?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

hoegaandit wrote:
I would recommend the book Smart but Scattered (by Dawson and Guare), as long as you are prepared for a very comprehensive book (ie will take a while to get through it). Our son managed to get through high school until his penultimate year (this year) and I think if his mother and I had worked through this book much earlier, it would have avoided the problems we have been having this year.

The book is so comprehensive that I think you could find the solutions to any executive function/organisation issues (even non-compliant children)

I really have to go buy that one, don't I? Glad to hear you've gotten through it and found it helpful!! !

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2011, 1:00 pm

Thanks everyone...

I wish a study hall was something that could happen this year (right now). Currently she isn't in any electives, all core classes. But she does have a health class next term, and I'm wondering if I could ask that to be switched. That sounds like a good solution. i've mentioned this very issue (the organizational issue) to her guidance counselor at school, and have felt basically like we're left to deal with it. I'm doing the most that I can (that she'll let me help with). But another teacher has helped her some...and we have an upcoming conference with her. I may ask that she support Madison getting herself more together.

I have to agree with what you say about rubrics....and just all the paperwork in general that doesn't test what she knows or can do, but how good she is at getting a paper from school to home to school (obviously, she is NOT good at this--she has tested and failed at it for several years, but it has become ever more important and ever more gradeable, which is why she is failing now and wasn't before). She will even take test papers and put them in her backpack by mistake, rather than turning them in.

I do have the book smart bu scattered (on my kindle?)...didn't finish it yet, but will revisit it.

Thanks guys...mainly for helping me not feel so alone in this problem.

Bethanie

zette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:13 pm

Would your *daughter* be willing to read selected chapters of Smart But Scattered, and then be involved in designing the plan to improve her organizational skills?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

26 Oct 2011, 9:58 pm

I was sooo bad at this in HS that my mom convinced the teachers not to send homework...I was in special ed, so I guess that could be easier done there. My grades were rather good because of this.

In college, I really struggled with this though. But one thing I found that helped was to put all my homework in folders in my back pack. Work on them at home and imediately put them back in the back pack. Then I just had to remember to take the backpack to school...after awhile, it felt like an extention of my arm (rolling bookbag for me)
When I got to class, the teacher would prompt us about homework and I would turn it in then.

They key is to put it in the bookbag when not in use.

As far as remembering to do what projects when, I found using a calander which keeps all due dates at a glance so it was all in one place rather than in different folders.

my biggest problem with executive functioing is initiation....actually changing tasks and working on the homework. It is also called autistic inertia.

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2011, 10:50 pm

Apparently I'm checking out Smart but Scattered from the library this week. :lol:

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2011, 7:25 am

Keep your fingers crossed. We are conferencing with a teacher tomorrow that so far has mentioned several times that Madison needs to either get her notebook organized or stay after with the teacher doing so. This is the teacher my daughter has really connected with (that can be rare), and I'm hoping I can work out with her that some "organizational" mentoring can take place here. I know the teacher is willing, and i'm hoping that the grade issue has humbled Madison into understanding that she is going to need some support until she can catch up. I think in this case, support from school works better than support from home because if she can get help, then puting things into place sort of becomes one of the rules of what you have to do for that teacher. Esp this teacher who is so revered.

What you said musicslife...I think is true because I think if she was considered special ed, there would be a lot more support available. Unfortunately since she has never qualified to test for special ed, this isn't considered a problem....and like I said before, IT is actually the disability.

It seems like it would be helpful for everyone who struggles with this (I remember my brother saying a few years ago how he always felt he was in trouble for something he really couldn't help), if we would recognize the lack of these skills as a disability.