Why do Americans blame everything on fast food?

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Lady-ivy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2011, 4:30 pm

I don't think fast food is too blame. It mix of many thinks
Iike overeating no one should eat like it there last day of there life eeveryday. and people need be more active. I remember eating happy meal alot as a child way before they added healthy items to there menu. The resoun way I never got to be a fat child because I actively outside. And am still not fat because am active. And try to have a blanened deit.

I kind of wish I chould find a running parter my age, because almost every is out of shape

amojak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2011, 6:30 pm

Mindslave wrote:
Blaming a scapegoat saves people from the unbearable pain of THINKING ABOUT STUFF

heh too true.. , that is why religion is still very strong in America as its teachings absolve responsibility for your actions.. it doesn't matter what you do as you will be forgiven if you go to church on Sunday and when you die will live forever in some fluffy clouded bliss..

With that background who needs to eat properly or exercise..

AQ - 44
EIQ - 57
BAP - 129 Aloof, 103 Rigid, 132 Pragmatic

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

30 Oct 2011, 7:22 pm

Alot of places in big inner cities, all they have is fast food places and quick marts. Grocery stores are nowhere to be seen until you ride an hour or so on the transit systems which involve a number of buses and subways. One lady told me she spent 3 hours of her day, 6 dollars on transportation to get a 1 dollar tomato. This has alot to do with zoning and politics. Inner cites are called by the organic movement as "food deserts" because they lack fresh food in a large part of the inner city.

There has been some movements to hold farmer's markets in inner cities, but the process is slow cause generation after generation have ate nothing but junk food, so they have no idea how to prepare and cook fresh food. Some dont even own pots and pans and dont know how to cook period...everything they eat comes from fast food stores and quick marts because that is all that is around for at least 15-20 miles sometimes more.
It is a real health crisis that is rarely discussed in the media.
So yes it is more than just about lifestyle choices for some. One could say to them "just, move"...that takes money which many in the inner city dont have...the ones that do have it, are making money off the ones that dont. Alot more has to change than just location to overcome generations of inner city lifestyle. Many dont know how to read, much less follow a recipe or books on how to cook, plus, intergenerational patterns of eating are difficult to change in a population that change comes to very slowly because survival is always the most important thing on their minds If it was any other country, the US would be sending the peace corp in to help teach good nutrition and literacy,but because it is too close up, we only see parts of the whole picture and never see it in its entirety.

Jojo

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 7:35 pm

jojobean wrote:
Alot of places in big inner cities, all they have is fast food places and quick marts. Grocery stores are nowhere to be seen until you ride an hour or so on the transit systems which involve a number of buses and subways. One lady told me she spent 3 hours of her day, 6 dollars on transportation to get a 1 dollar tomato. This has alot to do with zoning and politics. Inner cites are called by the organic movement as "food deserts" because they lack fresh food in a large part of the inner city.

Couldn't they form a co-operative for going out to shop and bringing in fresh stuff. They would have to rent a truck, but if the volume was great enough it might be worth-while.

ruveyn

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 8:30 pm

'Tis a good thing this hasn't happen yet in my own city then. :p (Regarding lack of pans and cooking utensils.)

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

01 Nov 2011, 8:47 am

ruveyn wrote:
jojobean wrote:

Couldn't they form a co-operative for going out to shop and bringing in fresh stuff. They would have to rent a truck, but if the volume was great enough it might be worth-while.

ruveyn

that would be a good idea!

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

Simonono wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Corr yeah!! :D

Ah, all five food groups. Meat, batter, potato, oil and best of all crispy bits!

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 4:07 pm

Saying fast food is grossly unhealthy, that Americans eat way too much of it, and that it plays no small part in the national health crisis isn't a relief of personal accountability,
but a statement of facts.

to his Interest."

femme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm

Americans just love to play the blame game instead of thinking about stuff :lol: