Why do Americans blame everything on fast food?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

Does some of this also start at the Farm with what we feed these animals? Haven't we brought unnatural changes to what these animals naturally eat versus Feed Stock?

Then down the line humans consume these animals with distorted diets.

I'd be curious how different farm raised meats are today from 50 or 100 years ago.

Limit2090
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

Its the truth. Its the neuropharmacology and biosocioeconomic. I'm sure the fast food places are not a mistake, seems the economy revolves around hospitals and money and a bunch of other stuff I do not feel like listing.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

26 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

I blame the health industry which is in bed with the drug industry which is also in bed with the food industry.

poor nutrition and medications which they purposely put side effects in the medicine so you have to get more medicine to treat that symptoms. Doctors dont heal people nowdays, they are drug pushers for the drug industry.

example how this works:

eat a poor diet untill age 40
develop high blood presure
go on blood presure medicine which has side effects that effect the liver
get liver problems
go on liver medicine which leads to eye problems
get treated for glacoma
heart problem gets worse because you treated the symptom of heart disease not the source which is diet changes
diagnosed with coranary artery disease
have a triple by-pass and go on statin drugs to lower cholesterol
kidneys have trouble due to statin drugs
after a few years, go on diaylisis
liver begins to fail because of blood presure medicines
eventually the body goes into kidney and liver failure or die of a heart attack from a blocked artery that went undetected.
die at age 60

Illness is big buisness in the US....the more drugs they can give to treat the symptoms and create new symptoms to make people dependant on more drugs, the more money they make. Doctors get money from insurance companies to prescribe certain drugs...the insurance companies are in bed with drug companies which push insurance companies to favor certain drugs over others.
Insurance companies often dont pay for non-drug or non-surgery solutions to illnesss, so the patient has to either be rich to pay for other treatments out of pocket or eat a very healthy diet to avoid the medical merry-go-round.

Big cities...in the poorer areas have no grocery stores and the nearest one is often an hour bus ride away. All they have in poor areas is fast food chains and gas station type markets. This is not an accident, but has to do with zoning...which the city leaders play a role in creating urban "food deserts" in which fresh healthy food is not readily available to poor populations.
So while ppl living in the city in one of these areas may blame the fast food chains for their ill-health...it is actually city zoning.

Jojo

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:17 pm

anna-banana wrote:
my relatives from Sweden love to visit the US every now and then. they tell me that whenever they are there and they go to a restaurant, they only ever order starters because they can't manage the regular portions.

I've been to pubs that serve food sometimes in the UK. There aren't many of them like that at all but the starters are bigger in the place I'm thinking of than the mains.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:41 pm

Tequila wrote:
I've been to pubs that serve food sometimes in the UK. There aren't many of them like that at all but the starters are bigger in the place I'm thinking of than the mains.

I totally hate that. Starters are supposed to be little, very small portions, just to tease you to try the rest of the food.... nowadays I cannot order a starter, because it is usually so large that if I order it then I cannot order the main course, or I can only eat half of it. And forget about dessert... no space for dessert, either...

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 3:09 pm

I know it's a decade old but I absolutely love the documentary film "Super-Size Me". Some people say it's proganda but it has a tendency to be right on the ball as far as diet and personal health in America.

In fact I'm gonna go watch it again right now. :P

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 5:55 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Last night I was on YouTube and watched a top-ten video of countries with the highest life expectancy (for the average person, of course). My home country Canada was no. 9, but the US didn't even make the list. Someone (American) made a comment to the video that if it wasn't for fast food they'd live a lot longer. Why is it so easy for Americans to blame fast food places for all their problems? I really, REALLY hate to admit it, but Canada has a real problem obesity as well, and there is a street in my city nicknamed "Burger Alley" because it has a McDonald's, a Burger King, a Wendy's and a Dairy Queen all within walking distance to each other! It really bother's me that they have no problem whatsoever with alcohol, drugs, tobacco, or the places and people that sell that garbage. They don't go on and on about how horribly stressed and sleep-deprived most Americans are and that most of it comes from work. And don't get me started on health care, poverty, the economy, crime, pollution and so on. But no, it's just so much easier to blame fast food places. Ever heard of a thing called moderation? Not everyone goes to a burger place every day and eats ten Big Macs all at once. If they don't want to serve it to fat people, then bars should not serve booze to alcoholics. I'm a teetotaler and I don't smoke. But I guess when I die they'll have to write on my gravestone "Here lies ------, she ate a cheeseburger." :roll:

it's because fast food is what kids are fed when they're young because of the advertisements that force them to pester their parents until they give in and feed them the junk. because of this high rate of ingestion of this non biodegradable food, the children's brains never develop properly and therefore they start to from irrational thoughts.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 5:59 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Does some of this also start at the Farm with what we feed these animals? Haven't we brought unnatural changes to what these animals naturally eat versus Feed Stock?

Then down the line humans consume these animals with distorted diets.

I'd be curious how different farm raised meats are today from 50 or 100 years ago.

go get some grass fed beef and then compare it to the crap from walmart. the walmart meat is just scraps glued together to look like steak.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

Parents should know how to say "no" to their kids. Blaming the fast food places is kind of silly. People choose to eat at them.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 6:31 pm

true, but the modern advertiser is a psychopath with great ability to manipulate people's children in order to get to their parents.

perhaps we should be more responsible by shunning such psychopathy from society in the first place?

number5
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 8:58 pm

They serve fast food at schools. Most meals are actually fast food, some even by brand name (Papa Johns's Pizza day, etc.). The other meals are essentially the same components as kid's meals at most popular ff joints. The truck that delivers the garbage to Mickey D's makes a stop at the local schools first. It's all heat and eat. On rare occasions they'll boast about a healthy lunch day, but it's not the norm. They serve breakfast too. Mostly Toaster Strudels and Lucky Charms.

It goes a bit deeper than personal choice. With the schools, it's often a matter of budget concerns and sweet deals with processed food manufacturers. The kids' health is an after thought. It's really a shame, especially considering how many kids are on free/reduced lunch plans these days. The manufacturers are trying to get kids to grow up to be loyal customers. It's highly manipulative.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 10:07 pm

oldmantime wrote:
true, but the modern advertiser is a psychopath with great ability to manipulate people's children in order to get to their parents.

No, the parents just need to develop a backbone and tell their children where to get off.

Advertisers aren't "psychopaths", they're just selling a product. They aren't forcing you to buy their gubbins.

Ilka wrote:
I totally hate that.

Well, the general idea is that if you're eating somewhere and you order a starter and it comes back large, just don't bother with the main course or go straight to the dessert.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 10:36 pm

You people should follow the french diet! :lol: Bread, butter, vino and the like. XD

And let's not forget one of Québec's delicacies! (song in canadian french, not to be taken seriously!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX7T3F9En1s[/youtube]

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 10:32 am

Tequila wrote:
Well, the general idea is that if you're eating somewhere and you order a starter and it comes back large, just don't bother with the main course or go straight to the dessert.

Yeah, but that's not cool. I love food. When I eat out I want to try food, at least 3 or 4 different courses. If I get filled only with the starter, it is extremely disappointing. What me and my husband are doing now is we order 2 starters to share, and only one main course, that way we can try different courses and not eat that much, and even so we usually have to skip dessert, or share it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 11:16 am

Ilka wrote:
Yeah, but that's not cool.

It does the job though. And I suppose that this rarely comes to pass in the UK as our portion sizes simply aren't that big.

Ilka wrote:
I love food.

Me too.

Ilka wrote:
If I get filled only with the starter, it is extremely disappointing.

Generally we stop at two.

Lady-ivy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2011, 4:30 pm

I don't think fast food is too blame. It mix of many thinks
Iike overeating no one should eat like it there last day of there life eeveryday. and people need be more active. I remember eating happy meal alot as a child way before they added healthy items to there menu. The resoun way I never got to be a fat child because I actively outside. And am still not fat because am active. And try to have a blanened deit.

I kind of wish I chould find a running parter my age, because almost every is out of shape