Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 4:33 pm

I think NT's tend to be quite competitive, something to do with the old pecking order perhaps. I must admit I feel very disillusioned when someone is better at something than I am, its an ego thing probably, low self esteem, but generally in a game situation I don't have to win, its just when my perfectionist attitude kicks in and I can't measure up to my own standards. Also if someone tells me I'm crap or not good at something I'm naieve and believe it, instead of reading between the lines they are saying it to boost their own confidence!!
Their have been instances when I have been determind to be good at something and persevered till I got it right, but usually that little voice creeps in...this is not good enough!! !

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 5:45 pm

I think among aspies the only real competition is against yourself and your own perfectionistic tendencies.

Personally I could care less if someone is better than me at something. They gloat I say "Ok your better than me.. so?" and dont understand the pleasure they seem to be getting from it.

No matter who you are or what your good at there is always someone better at it than you and always someone worse.. where you fit in the "pecking order" is completely irrelevant.

Competition of any kind especially sports has never made sense to me.

Football for example.. a bunch of guys get out on a field and fight over a leather ball.. and if they win they dont even get to keep the ball.. what was the point?

Of course in the modern hypercompetitive environment where everything is a contest Im completely lost and seen as even weirder than normal because I seem to lack "motivation" to them.

But what I really lack is a desire to fight with others over things I dont really need.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

devonmike
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2006, 9:11 am

I agree with Fraya. I have never liked team games or any form of competition against others. I prefer to set my own targets for myself - and can get a great sense of achievement when I reach them. So my interests tend to be things I can do by myself that fit in with this general strategy - like collecting, and long distance walking - and I am strong willed to the point of stubborness in pursuing personal goals.
Overall I think it is a lifestyle choice. Life can be crap as an Aspie - an outsider - a loner - but only if you let the negative aspects take control. My view is that being a loner and therefore not being subject to peer group pressures to conform/compete opens up a whole load of possibilities for a fulfilling life style that NT's just cannot appreciate. It's a niche market in which Aspies have a unique advantage over the rest of the world!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 1:31 pm

I don't mind play-competitiveness: Like my brother and I knocking each other off the high score list of video games. I mind when it gets vicious and serious (about serious subjects rather than play) and I don't do that kind. But even some play I was not competitive in, I liked the game so would deliberately not win and not let anyone else win either, to prolong it.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 1:44 pm

Hehe Ive done that before.. Id be close to winning then intentionally mess up to prolong the game :P

I usually either do that or lose on purpose to make the NT happy since it doesnt matter to me one way or the other :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

itfits
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2006, 3:10 pm

I have never been overly competive although I did play team sports until I reached high school. I have not gotten the whole I am better that you because I can do one thing better thing. If someone spends enough time practicing on one activity thay I am only mildly intrested in then they should be better at it than I am it only make sense. My intrestes are not in areas where you can really compete

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

27 Sep 2006, 12:27 am

I have the same veiw with a lot of politicians (is that how you spell it?). Recently our Prime Minister, Helen Clark (that's right! We've got a REAL woman in charge. No offence, queen of England) slandered her main opponent, Don Brash, because of a nervous breakdown of a sort that slips my mind and a dou relationship. WHAT THE $&@%!?! !? What'd you do that for? He's having a bloody hard time with himself and you just kick him when he's down? Well you're a @#%&$, to be quite frank. Sorry, but I just get so wound up about these politcal fights that happen all the time.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there