Is it possible to be wrongly diagnosed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Richax
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2011, 3:58 pm

I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome 10years ago when i was 7years old. I still don't know the reason for the diagnosis but it's there.
I have done a awfully large amount of research into the whole thing and discovered there is no actual test to see if people have something on the spectrum. Now, after all this research i have found i don't show any of the 'symptoms' of aspergers(maybe one or two, but then again everyone does) and therefore i think i may have been wrongly diagnosed. There isn't anything wrong with autism but the whole reason into my research was i got medically denied from the army(British as im in England) and the reason for this was due to my diagnosis. Now this is clearly very discriminative or there is a very good reason for this.
Would like to hear your opinions on the case aha! thanks :-)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

You can go get re tested and try and get the diagnoses removed if you don't have it.

silvermoon13
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Oct 2011, 4:16 pm

It's possible it could be wrong diagnosis, it does happen.

It's sad to hear the army discriminates like that cuz to be honest, people with autism (at least some) do better when someone is ordering them rather than having to think too much and you don't have to worry about social issues too much in military. i know this cuz my dad was in the army and he has aspergers.

also, look at forrest gump :P lol.

you can always get a second opinion. that one diagnosis isn't really the end all :)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

How did they find out about a diagnosis made when you were 7?

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2011, 4:34 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
How did they find out about a diagnosis made when you were 7?

They probably looked at the OP's medical records.

Richax
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

True, it really confused me to be honest&i spend most my time ringing up various agencies and spend my time going back and forward to the doctors getting referrals to places and it is time consuming and rather frustrating to be honest.
And as you said, autistic people have been in the army before so god knows why they denied me.
Could have been my past history that could have affected it, i did used to be rather violent and a bit of a social hideaway but i put this down to being seriously bullied throughout primary school because i have aspergers so there is no real connection to 10years ago to now!:-(
And i don't know what an op is(n):L

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:43 pm

I think sometimes it is possible to misdiagnose very young children, as ALL children actually lack theory of mind until the age of 4-6ish. 7 is the outskirts of this, it's possible. I think, as another poster said, the best option here is for you to get a second opinion about the diagnosis - see another psych and discuss your past history and current functioning in depth with them.

Richax
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

sunshower wrote:
I think sometimes it is possible to misdiagnose very young children, as ALL children actually lack theory of mind until the age of 4-6ish. 7 is the outskirts of this, it's possible. I think, as another poster said, the best option here is for you to get a second opinion about the diagnosis - see another psych and discuss your past history and current functioning in depth with them.

Yeah i think i am to be honest, this seems the best way around it, and if the diagnosis still stands im more than happy with it!(y) Just mean i'll start going to meetings and try to get people on the autistic spectrum more rights than what they have because it is rather disgusting how we are discriminated against.
Thanks for advice anyway, much appreciated!

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:02 pm

Richax wrote:
sunshower wrote:

Yeah i think i am to be honest, this seems the best way around it, and if the diagnosis still stands im more than happy with it!(y) Just mean i'll start going to meetings and try to get people on the autistic spectrum more rights than what they have because it is rather disgusting how we are discriminated against.
Thanks for advice anyway, much appreciated!

well, you may or may not be. Glad to be of service. :P

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:54 pm

Richax wrote:
True, it really confused me to be honest&i spend most my time ringing up various agencies and spend my time going back and forward to the doctors getting referrals to places and it is time consuming and rather frustrating to be honest.
And as you said, autistic people have been in the army before so god knows why they denied me.
Could have been my past history that could have affected it, i did used to be rather violent and a bit of a social hideaway but i put this down to being seriously bullied throughout primary school because i have aspergers so there is no real connection to 10years ago to now!:-(

It may well be just that history of violence, possibly in addition to the diagnosis of mental disability: Army psychologists wouldn't be as lenient on "because you were bullied" as you were for yourself. And the connection between ten years ago and now is that you're the same person, older. Armed Services and cops, and probably some others, have to carefully screen out the occasional applicant who _wants_ to carry a gun just so that he _can_ be violent with social approval, and maybe hates not only the bullies who beat him up, but everybody else too: the rest of the human race who let it happen.

There was quite a fuss when a young Aspie-plus whose father is an online friend drew a picture in Art class of the two worst bullies who'd been hassling him underneath the asphalt of the playground. Changed his whole school status. Of course with all the school shootings we've had here, starting with Columbine, the US schools are pretty well freaked-out at the idea of it happening again at _their_ school.

Richax
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2011, 6:04 pm

[/quote]It may well be just that history of violence, possibly in addition to the diagnosis of mental disability: Army psychologists wouldn't be as lenient on "because you were bullied" as you were for yourself. And the connection between ten years ago and now is that you're the same person, older. Armed Services and cops, and probably some others, have to carefully screen out the occasional applicant who _wants_ to carry a gun just so that he _can_ be violent with social approval, and maybe hates not only the bullies who beat him up, but everybody else too: the rest of the human race who let it happen.

There was quite a fuss when a young Aspie-plus whose father is an online friend drew a picture in Art class of the two worst bullies who'd been hassling him underneath the asphalt of the playground. Changed his whole school status. Of course with all the school shootings we've had here, starting with Columbine, the US schools are pretty well freaked-out at the idea of it happening again at _their_ school.[/quote]

I'm going to dissagree there, they don't know i was bullied nor do they know the violence was because of that&nope i don't think anyone in a right mental state would carry a gun to kill someone with social approval, neither did i wan't to join the army as an infantry regiment. Also i have to agree with you on yes i am the same person, but not mentally. many people undergo change as they get older both physically and mentally so on that respect i am not the same person (in a mental) state at all.
But thanks for your opinion!:-)

ACerulean
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Oct 2011, 7:12 pm

Richax wrote:
It may well be just that history of violence, possibly in addition to the diagnosis of mental disability: Army psychologists wouldn't be as lenient on "because you were bullied" as you were for yourself. And the connection between ten years ago and now is that you're the same person, older. Armed Services and cops, and probably some others, have to carefully screen out the occasional applicant who _wants_ to carry a gun just so that he _can_ be violent with social approval, and maybe hates not only the bullies who beat him up, but everybody else too: the rest of the human race who let it happen.

There was quite a fuss when a young Aspie-plus whose father is an online friend drew a picture in Art class of the two worst bullies who'd been hassling him underneath the asphalt of the playground. Changed his whole school status. Of course with all the school shootings we've had here, starting with Columbine, the US schools are pretty well freaked-out at the idea of it happening again at _their_ school.[/quote]

I'm going to dissagree there, they don't know i was bullied nor do they know the violence was because of that&nope i don't think anyone in a right mental state would carry a gun to kill someone with social approval, neither did i wan't to join the army as an infantry regiment. Also i have to agree with you on yes i am the same person, but not mentally. many people undergo change as they get older both physically and mentally so on that respect i am not the same person (in a mental) state at all.
But thanks for your opinion!:-)[/quote]

I would like to whole-heartedly disagree with your statement that someone in his right mind would not carry a gun and kill because it would be socially acceptable. I am in my right mind, unless you want to count AS and that will open an entirely new can of worms, and I would gladly walk outside with a gun and start shooting whomever I saw or take an explosive and detonate it to kill off as many as I could if it were socially acceptable. It's not and therefore I won't, so don't get all huffy with me and assume I'm a threat, but the point still stands.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 3:13 pm

Quote:

OP stands for 'original poster' - the person who started the thread.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 6:09 am

Your best bet might be to see a medical doctor to get your diagnosis invalidated. There must be some procedure for this especially if the diagnosis was old. Find out what the procedure is for this.

If you truly have aspergers than you wouldn't be eligible, so you need to show the diagnosis is wrong.
You might want to say to a doctor that you were bullied or were shy when you were younger and that's why you were misdiagnosed. Do not mention anything even remotely connected to violence. Do not mention that you can't relate socially or whatever.

Anyway, stick with the story that had some normal childhood problems that caused someone to misdiagnosis you with AS and after all it was a long time ago. I wouldn't outright lie, but I would slant the truth in your favor. Definitely omit anything you did that was violent. I would try to be as friendly and cooperative with the doctor as much as possible, since you need sympathy from them.

LunaUlysses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2011, 6:24 am

I think it's very possible. As a child, when I was perhaps 8 or 9, I was diagnosed with ADHD. Then, when I was about 10ish, they decided I had depression.
When you put the ADHD symptoms where you get super hyper, can't focus and then add on time with super bad depression, what exactly does that entitle? Bipolar. I brought it up recently with my therapist, and about how my nephew had just been diagnosed with asperghers, and after my sister telling him how I am, and how she is, said she and I most likely have it as well. So, I also brought this up with my therapist/psychiatrist. I do not seem to have bipolar to a degree where I go off and do really crazy things, and my bursts of energy/hyperness only last a few hours, so she diagnosed it as Bipolar type 2, and with the Asperghers as Asperghers-tendencies. It's near impossible to really diagnose adults with asperghers because as people with it grow up, they tend to learn different ways to cope and fit into society on their own.
Nowadays, because it is being more well-known, they are diagnosing younger children with it and getting them into early prevention where they teach them the skills and ways to be able to fit into the NT's a lot easier and not have it hinder them quite so much.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 8:34 am

My question is ... Is it possible to be rightly diagnosed? As in.. does the fact that you have a particular collection of outward symptoms really mean anything at all?

Nothing is absolute.