Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 6:18 pm

any guitarists on here? i just spent about an hour playing and my fingers are sore :) i love it

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 11:49 pm

guitarist for about 10 years now. been switching more to bass lately. a completely different view of music and different approach and it's refreshing and awesome.

......you have also have problems with playing sometimes? i mean like.....i practice a lot but my dexterity never gets up to par...i guess it's back to autism...but i make the best of it and focus more on writing over technique for the most part.

....not that i'm a sloppy player but i'm no steve vai either.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 11:37 am

I love to play guitar. I wish I really could.
I have the dexterity and the stamina, even a killer set of ears. What I can't seem to do is play in time or listen to other musicians well enough to follow them in time. Funny thing is that it's not really a time problem, because I can almost always tell you "what time it is" within a minute or two. It has to do with meter and listening. But it's wierd because if I'm not trying to play, I can sense if someone is out of meter by 1/100 of a beat or so. I have a sense of time, but I can't make the movements.

I used to try to play in a band when I was a kid, but I just bang on my guitars, now. Everybody else got really good and I just went so far and that was the best I could do. I became more obsessed with the PA gear, acoustics and sound reinforcement and made that my first career.

I can work up a decent set of chops using my Strat or Les Paul and my talent with sound gear makes it easy to reproduce most of the rock sounds that I want to play. Most people who hear me, think that a great guitarist is warming up, but warm up is all I can do. I've been warming up for over forty years, now so I should be about ready to play, except I just can't do it.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 4:59 pm

I've been learning for several months, but I suck. I'm still trying, though.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 9:14 pm

Current rig here is a Godin LG guitar, and a 100 watt Seymour Duncan Convertable amp that has been in non functioning condition since Sunday afternoon ( 09.24) . Hope to get the amp up and running again with better power tubes.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 9:14 pm

I have been playing for 2 years now. It's really fun but I sucked really bad when I started playing.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 2:28 am

been playing for about 20 years now
Don't practise as much as I "should" tho.

wrongplanetmember
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2008, 5:23 am

Have played for 18 years. Some Aspergers people really look for and love mathematics, patterns, shapes, symmetry, asymmetry etc... and for me I found that on the fret-board of a guitar when I was a teenager and it's stayed with me today. It started when I was given a recorder when I was 5 and it wasn't long after that I was 'fingering' peoples sentences on a pretend recorder behind my back when people spoke to me. Ever since then it's all music baby... every situation has some music in it... which is why I was so glad to find Psy-trance... as it incorporates alot of every day noises into music. :)

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 10:42 am

I've played for 13 years or so, I play other instruments a lot too though. The thing is, I don't see myself as a guitarist. I see a guitar as a means to an end, like a voice or a piano or drums or bass.

I loves me Telecasters though, and I do have some guitar heroes!

OutlawSteph

10 Dec 2008, 3:23 pm

My toys:

Martin X Series, 1976 Tele Custom, Tele Custom '72 Reissue, Strat (great guitar but I sold it), 12 string OLP, Carvin CT4, Deering Maple Blossom banjo:

60s Classic Tele which replaced the Strat:

Gretsch six string bass:

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2008, 9:35 am

I have a Five string Fender jazz bass and a Cort M600, both pretty good. Currently saving up money for a Gibson Les Paul Standard as well. I'd splash out for a custom, but it's just too much money.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 3:43 pm

Been playing for about 5 years. Been in alot of bands and played live several times as well. My big influences are Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, David Gilmour & Stanley Jordan. Right now I have a Jackson Soloist, a 1963 Fender Strat, an Ibanez Jem 7 string & a G&L Stratocaster, just bought this one, pretty awesome guitar.