Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stumbelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2011, 2:46 am

Has anybody else walked out of there job? Or had great difficulty with Management/Colleagues?

I'm having a terrible time at work at the moment :(

I work in a factory, and I used to be a team leader. I handed in my notice 4 weeks ago, as I could not deal with the stress, I am now back on the production line. I am a massive perfectionist and I take quite a lot of pride in my work, unfortunately, this did not go down to well with my bosses, as all they are bothered about is production, and getting as much out as possible. Most of the other team leaders, are in my eyes, bullies!! Including my Manager! They shout at people to get the work done, and they dont care much about quality, hygiene, health and safety. I've had many run ins with my Manager :(

So anyway, I`m back on the production line, 8 hours of pretending to be a robot, doing the same thing... ALL day! I decided to swap with some guy who was doing something a little different to what I was (on the same job, and team). My team leader did not like that I took it upon myself to swap, and shouted at me to go back to where I was!! I was capable of doing the work, regardless of who I swapped with!! This team leader had been on my case all day :( So I lost it and had a massive argument, which ended up me telling him he was a stupid idiot!! ! I then walked out my job!! Oooops!

I got a phone call on Wednesday evening and it was HR asking me to come in at 11am Thursday for a meeting.. I went in, explained what had happened, and they asked me not to leave, explained how the company is going through some massive changes, and everyone is stressed at the moment. She said its going to be a slow process, so its up to me if I want to stick with the company or not.... I need to pay bills, so I decided to stay for the time being. So they said to come in as normal on Friday.

So, I went in this morning at 6am, only to be told to go back home, and come back at 10am for a disciplinary!! !! !! ! I only had enough money for one bus journey (which I had already used to get to work), so I had to walk all the way back home in the dark :( And the team leader who I had the argument with has told everyone else a completely different story, which makes me sound stupid :(

I'm so annoyed!! !! !! ! :(

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 3:14 am

Do the people in your HR department know about your diagnosis (assuming you have one)?
If not then you will miss out on the support you could otherwise get.
Factory work is hard and boring, and as a team leader you are always caught between a rock and a hard place. But being on the production line is worse, as you are finding out. Do you have a union in your place? Then you can take the rep in with you for your disciplinary hearing. Or get a trusted colleague to go with you. Hard as you will find this try not to lose your temper though.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 4:30 am

I have walked out on several jobs. I look at it this way: You only get one run though this life. I refuse to stay at a job where I am not satisfied. I'm willing to wait for a job where I'm happy, but I will not tolerate working at a place where I hate going to work.

LunaUlysses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2011, 5:37 am

When I did work, I had several times when I wanted to walk out because of manager jerks. I remember going on my break and just bawling a couple times before, but I managed to bite my tongue, calm myself down, and keep going.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 5:51 am

I think such behaviour by an employer would be illegal in the UK. It would be seen as bullying to shout at staff and to tell them to do one thing and then deny it and say do another. They aren't supposed to treat their workers like dirt.

I left my job after 15 years because I couldn't stand the anxiety any more. I'd carved myself a good niche, I'd designed my own working methods which were far more efficient than the ones they'd been using when I first joined. But when they promoted me, I found that they wanted me to push other people around, and they were disappointed when I wouldn't do that. It bothered me a lot that they weren't completely happy with my performance (before that I'd always stood head and shoulders above my co-workers as diligent and good at the job). Then they started changing everything round, and I could see the day coming when the work I'd become good at would no longer be required.

I didn't just walk out though. I'd only do that if I felt sure to win a constructive dismissal case. They were offering early severance deals so I took one of those. It was still seen as economic suicide, and sure enough I've never been able to get back to the same level in a comparable workplace, though the shortfall isn't all that great. I would probably have got one of those legendary final-salary pensions if I'd stuck it out to the bitter end.

I've been contemplating leaving my current job too, after 20 years. I've always felt that nobody should have to work for an employer beyond the age of 60 if they don't want to. Whatever they say about people living longer these days, reasonable health only lasts on average until the age of 70 (depending on your idea of reasonable health), and for me, a full-time job takes its toll on my chances of enjoying life, so I don't want to wait until I'm full of aches and pains before I'm free to do what I like. Even if I could find work that was socially worthy, stable, and reasonably dignified and relaxed, I would still want the time. I often find myself rejecting worthwhile activities because while I have the day job, I can't imagine having enough free time to give those activities my best shot.

But there's going to be nothing rash about my leaving, unless they put me in an impossible situation, and even then I'd presumably consider fighting back without resigning as a first resort. I've already applied for one early severance deal, but I withdrew my application later because I didn't feel it was safe enough to take the plunge yet.....I don't want to run out of funds before my pension starts, and have to go back to jobseeking. So I'm now waiting for the next early severance round, when the time between leaving and getting a pension will be shorter and my savings will be more. Even then, although I feel I'd take very well to being "time rich," I've heard how depressed some folks can get if they don't have a job, and I take that as a serious warning......lately I've often become very inactive and rather bored when on leave or just sitting about in the evenings and at weekends, and I want to be sure that I can really enjoy my freedom before I commit myself to it for the rest of my life. But it's coming to something if a person is only happy when under somebody else's control.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 6:28 am

stumbelina wrote:
Has anybody else walked out of there job? Or had great difficulty with Management/Colleagues?

:(

Is the manager lying or does he just have a different perspective? Go back to HR, stay calm and keep communicating. Have you disclosed your AS? AS generally has a reputation for making it harder to lie and pretend, whether or not this is true, its a general belief and it might work in your favour. If they know that then, they might be more likely to listen properly to you.
It will be clear to HR that the guys a bully and they will want to solve that in their company (its bad for retention and staff change costs money), and hopefully help you.
Good luck.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Oct 2011, 6:33 am

Jobs can be very challenging indeed. You are not alone in feeling stressed at work. At the end of my day I am usually stressed and full of anxiety. What keeps me going are the thoughts of getting home to interests and family---and away from work. If you can find another job that you would like better, then you could consider that. I just think about the fact that I get a paycheck and the day ends when the bell rings. But...I am currently stressed too. So many things have changed at work. I no longer feel in control of things. I feel like I'm on pins and needles. But let's all try to hang in there together and hope for better conditions in the future. I do know in my case...things could be a lot worse. But they could also be a little bit better. I hope things can improve for you.

LunaUlysses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2011, 6:34 am

pastafarian wrote:
stumbelina wrote:
It will be clear to HR that the guys a bully and they will want to solve that in their company (its bad for retention and staff change costs money), and hopefully help you.
Good luck.

Try telling that to the last place I worked at. Instead of sitting down and trying to fix thing with their current employees, they just fired them on the spot. We were literally told in one meeting "If you don't do what you're supposed to, and do it well, you can leave. I have a stack of applications right there in my office of people wanting to work here." The turn out there was absolutely insane. Employees were constantly quitting because the management was pure *bleep bleep bleeps* and they were having to deal with picking up slack with the employees that weren't doing their jobs because management wasn't bothering to try to bring them up and discipline/talk with them, and then you were getting employees being fired on the spot when management got wind they weren't doing 100 percent. It was ridiculous and had zero communication.

stumbelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2011, 8:39 am

Well I got the sack... :(

3 years of honest hard work, and I worked so hard for the company, I cant believe I've been treated like this :( They said it was gross misconduct, I tried to explain my reasons with them again, but they wouldn't listen :( Thing is its the third time I've walked out on the job...
I have had good reasons for each time, I just find it so difficult to explain myself, I always end up bursting into tears and I go into a complete meltdown, where I cant even talk. Then I feel stupid. I've gone in on many occasions, and wrote down my feelings as I cant seem to speak them. I tried explaining this to HR :(

I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I`m seeing a psychologist at the moment who thinks I have mild AS or extreme social anxiety...

Now I'm screwed :(

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 8:51 am

Oh well. :(

At least you're out of a nasty situation. There has to be a better boss than that somewhere. Those people just sound like jerks. Hope you don't have too many financial worries between jobs.

stumbelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

Oh and the team leader told HR and Management that he had sent me on my break, and not back to where I was before I swapped places.... He had already sent me on my break 30mins before the incident, so he has completely lied about the situation!! !

stumbelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2011, 9:09 am

When they dismissed me, first thing I said was "you've done me a favor!!" (I can at least claim benefit now) I also told them the company is ran by a bunch of idiots and I would rather be unemployed, than work for a cowboy business!!

Thankfully I have saved a little, so I should be ok for a while.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Oct 2011, 10:29 am

Things usually seem to happen for a reason. I am sure I speak for most everyone here in that we wish you the best, and we offer you our support.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 10:37 am

moved from General Autism Discussion to Work and finding a Job

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 12:08 pm

How to quit like a boss.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=yVrohE9FjU0[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=yVrohE9FjU0

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 2:22 pm

I walked out on my last job after just a few days. Couldn't f***ing take it.