Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 11:56 pm

Oh, yeah ... there may be extraterrestrial life, but where is it? Certainly there is no evidence for it here on Earth.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 12:01 am

PM wrote:
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that it is statistically impossible for us to be alone. In the Milky Way Galaxy alone, there are 6 billion stars with planets in their orbits, and I would say that at least 1% of those planets are in the habitable zone. Furthermore there are over 100 billion Galaxies in the Universe. I have no doubt that there is an abundance of life in the Universe.

Indeed. I also suspect there are differing types of habitable zones for alternative types of biochemistry. We're primarily looking for signs of something similar to terrestrial life but there are other paths life might take. There is a possibility even that life exists elsewhere within our own solar system. We might find that it either evolved independently or was the result of a "panspermia" event with Earth as its source. I think that biogenesis probably happens most often on planets, and then due to impacts these planets might be local sources of initial genetic material for evolution elsewhere in that system and beyond. There is also the discovery of organic compounds produced by stars in deep space that shows how widespread these precursors are in the universe

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 8:04 am

PM wrote:
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that it is statistically impossible for us to be alone. In the Milky Way Galaxy alone, there are 6 billion stars with planets in their orbits, and I would say that at least 1% of those planets are in the habitable zone. Furthermore there are over 100 billion Galaxies in the Universe. I have no doubt that there is an abundance of life in the Universe.

Yes- The dice may have millions of sides but the universe takes infinite die throws. So even the improbable becomes certain.

In essence it cancels out: the vastness of the universe means life-even intelligent life- cant have happpened just once. But the vastness of the universe also means that -for practical purpose each inteliignet species is alone- because - the universe is so vast the each civilization would be so far apart in space ( and in time as well) that it would be impossible for one to contact (much less visit) the other.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

PM wrote:

Do you know the difference between improbable and impossible? Apparently not.

ruveyn

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 9:45 am

I used to watch that show for a giggle but it got too repetitive. And the interviewers and editors got too lazy. After i started noticing that every now and then they show someone saying something sarcastically and frame it as an affirmation of what they are clearly mocking, i was no longer able to enjoy it.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

shrox wrote:

Same hair, must be true!

:lol:

I was thinking that I'd seen that haircut before...

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
You disappoint me. Ancient Aliens is the most hilarious thing ever produced by the History channel, and as a reaction you do that? That's not funny enough to match the funny in Ancient Aliens.

It's funny alright, but I've heard enough of its malarkey to last me a year just hearing the first episode.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
shrox wrote:

Same hair, must be true!

:lol:

I was thinking that I'd seen that haircut before...

Huh, I guess according to their own brand of "logic" that would make that dude an ET from Alpha Centauri. ... Probably his goal....

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 5:32 pm

Ancient aliens is not believable at all in any form of logic :lol:

Hikikamori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm

So how did those ancient structured that we can't even build today get built?
Angels? The ancient gods? ... Aliens comfort my mind a little more.

Don't some people here even think AS people are half alien or something?

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm

Hikikamori wrote:

What structures can't we build today?

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 9:47 am

I've always wanted to do that so please forgive me
(V)(;,,;)(V)

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm

Hikikamori wrote:

Because we can put men on the moon, redirect rivers, create giant artificial lakes, induce rain with cobalt cloud seeding, split the atom, build structures hundreds of meters taller and thousands upon thousands of tons heavier, but of course we can't build pyramids anymore

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Oct 2011, 9:32 pm

History Channel has degenerated into probably the dumbest channel on television. Ancient Aliens is pretty hilarious tho I gotta admit.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 10:36 pm

Hikikamori wrote:

Slave labor and time. The only reason such structures don't get built today is lack of funding, lack of interest, or both. Then again, you've never been to Las Vegas, have you?

Hikikamori wrote:

People who need an emotional crutch often have imaginary friends, too!

Hikikamori wrote:

We're human; only this, and nothing more.

Your arguments are based on the "Fallacy of Incredulity", in which a person decides that a mundane explanation is "impossible", and therefor invents an explanation involving space aliens, sky faeries, magic, psionics, lost super-science, or any combination thereof.

Such incredulity is usually based on some form of racism against any civilization more primitive than their own.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 5:41 pm

Jacoby wrote:
History Channel has degenerated into probably the dumbest channel on television. Ancient Aliens is pretty hilarious tho I gotta admit.

There are dumber channels and "The Universe" kind of makes up for it.