Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

StarSplit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2011, 5:06 pm

I just purchased this about 10 days ago and started taking it 2x a day because it's supposed to help with mood swings and anxiety. I've had more anxiety than normal ever since I moved to California this summer, but ever since I started taking the fish oil I've been feeling panicky, overwhelmed, and jumpy. Like I'll freak out if the phone rings. Yesterday I didn't even want to leave my apartment and I keep dreading waiting for the elevator because of people unexpectedly getting out of it when the door opens - it's like a jack-in-the-box effect that startles me. (When I consciously thought that to myself I then thought "Oh God, I'm a crazy person".) Anyway, I seem to be suffering from serious sensory overload and EVERYTHING piles on more stress.

Can fish oil actually make anxiety WORSE? Everything I read seems to indicate the opposite - that it's supposed to help - but I can't really ignore what's happening. Does anyone take this stuff or another brand of fish oil? I used to take another omega 3 brand that came from plant sources - forgot what it was called - and I didn't notice any weird reactions to that. I'm not allergic to fish, though.

I have a long history of medicines/supplements causing the opposite reaction they're supposed to, so maybe this is another one of those times? I've never heard of fish oil doing this to anyone, though...

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 5:34 pm

I thought about taking fish oil for health reasons a while ago but didn't bother after reading about the various potential side effects.

Right now I take nothing since I ran out of vitamins and can't afford more but I've taken valerian in the past for anxiety. It smells funny and I don't remember if it even helped.

StarSplit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2011, 5:54 pm

I've taken valerian before too; it gives me CRAZY dreams but it worked pretty well. Good for insomnia.

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2011, 6:24 pm

I've been taking two 1200mg pills of fish oil (360mg of Omega 3 each) per day for about a year now and I don't think it does anything, for better or for worse. I'm taking it out habit but I will probably stop when I'm out of it.

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2011, 8:31 am

I doubt you could be having that significant a reaction to fish pills, but stop and see if there is a difference. I have (very) positive feelings about fish pills. Lets discuss the parenthetical handling of very in the sentence preceding this one. First, the effect of the omegas is cumulative, at least a couple weeks of diligent administration. And then the magnitude in which they help is nothing extreme. I didn't think they did anything until a week after i stopped taking them. It is little things that they help with, certain cognitive functions come more readily available, my short term memory notably more reliable and functional. It helps me be generally slightly more organized. In a way I say they are big help, because the accumulation of little things being slightly less difficult can make a definitely noticeable improvement. But it is 'just' the little things. There are still many things I have issues with. Furthermore, I cannot be certain that these effects are as much Placebo as anything. WHICH i don't think matters. If it works it works, whether its a mind trick, or a direct chemical interaction.

Valerian I am not a fan of. Every time I've tried it as a sleep aid it gives me BAD nightmares. Also sometimes it does not totally konk me out. It makes me sedated enough that I cant do much but lay there, but I cant get into deep sleep.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

30 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm

I've tried Carlson's Omega-3 Cod Oil (it's in liquid form) for two months. I took the a bit more than the dose recommended on the container for two months. It didn't help my executive functioning whatsoever. I've also tried Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega Fish Oil. They didn't help make my cognition get any better either (and I bought an expensive three-month supply!). But melatonin and valarien do wonders for my sleep issues.