Page 6 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Lizerina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2011, 7:46 pm

Angel_ryan wrote:
Now I said I was likely to be the real schiz because my friend who had his schiz DX changed had different symptoms than me he didn't actually have BP and I do. I know I have AS but I'm iffy about the schizo affective although I can very much relate to the guy in the youtube video I posted. I was literally told not to worry about it by the people working with me. Part of it is protection from the stigma, it'd be so more stigmatizing if employers/extended family knew I have both. I'm ok talking about it online but in real life I can't even say schizophrenia or bipolar without cringing. I don't mind talking about my learning disabilities or autism though which I can get more help with at this point. I found symptom wise that I genuinely can not completely related other people with just one DX of ASD, BP, or Schiz. I get the feeling that I do have MCDD which I think might eventually have to become the official DX if focusing on AS by itself doesn't work out.

Oh okay. I thought you were talking about you and me. It makes more sense now. Haha

You wouldn't have to tell your employers or anyone, would you? In the U.S., employers aren't actually allowed to ask about that or treat you unfairly because of it.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 8:09 pm

Lizerina wrote:
You wouldn't have to tell your employers or anyone, would you? In the U.S., employers aren't actually allowed to ask about that or treat you unfairly because of it.

I live in Canada which is the same about it as the US, but the problem is more the fact that people close to you who you do tell might accidentally tell someone else. I did have to tell my employer about the AS because it was interfering with my job and I almost got fired. Now that my employer knows my strengths and weakness he's found a way to help me be as productive as the NTs by not forcing me to do what I'm not good at and letting me do what I am really good at. He likes me a lot now, and finds my unique skills help the dynamics of our workplace. He also taught me some NT skills I didn't get before, and emotionally supports me when I get depressed or feel too over whelmed to work. Not all employers are like that though. It's extremely rare. My biggest problem is mental health professionals and knowing I might not always be supported by the same people I am now. If I get an official Schizo affective DX then future mental health professionals might ignore my ASD and lump all my symptoms with MI. Which would be unfair and lead to ineffective treatment. I'm just trying to make sure I get the best care. My grandfather has many horror stories of his experiences.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm

The ink blot test results can be the same for schizophrenia and Autism, also some brain scans are similar in some respects

fMR1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2013, 12:50 pm

schizophrenia has more differences to autism than similarities but there are still similarities, I made a website comparing autism and schizophrenia.