Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2011, 2:25 am

Are there any adjustments that would help with riding lessons? I'm wondering if AS has had an affect on my horse riding ability. I have taken a lot of lessons on and off during the years but with my diagnosis wondering if it has had an effect e.g. ability to take on board what the instructor is saying, and some spatial/co-ordination issues. I did a lot better in individual lessons and had one or two meltdowns when put in lessons where there was a group, everyone did their own thing for a few minutes and I had to avoid people coming at me in unpredictable ways and in one case was told to avoid one horse because of aggression and took it more literally than they meant and got quite scared.

I'm quite anxious and down on myself. To NT I come across as NT but shy. I have taken a lot of lessons but don't feel massively better. I have the same problems but now wondering if that is down to communication with the instructor. I go in a bag of nerves, but afterwards when I put the horse away I am relaxed and happy. I'm wondering if I need an aspie friendly instructor.

I have recently taken on a part loan horse who is quiet, and very patient. Sensory wise he is fuzzy and soft and happy to be stroked and groomed. He also helps by opening his mouth for the bit, standing still while I faff about and lifting hind legs for picking out. It is quite scary actually as everything is new and the owner is unpredictable e.g her work changes last minute or she cancels due to bad weather. I seem to be doing things right at the moment but very slowly, or taking several attempts at it. I'm stressing when he does normal things such as I have just realised when he stops, turns his head and watches things he is really nosy and not worried and about to jump sideways and throw me off! I thought he was shaking his head and misbehaving and my friend told me he was trying to rub his nose against me as itchy.

I think if I stay with this for a while it will help as I can practice on my own and the owner reassures me when she helps. I can read up and try out things-I learn well from reading. I can learn from this one horse. Other times when people have shown me things like putting on a bridle I struggle slightly/go slowly and they jump in and do it for me and I end up feeling really stupid. I once had lessons and I was with the same person and horse for a few weeks struggling with this and was scared as she said he nipped and dreaded doing it again the next week and showing that I still couldn't do it. I feel a bit scared meeting up with the owner at the moment and worry about doing things "wrong" or that I will hurt the horse somehow or the owner will say I'm rubbish and break the agreement. I have confidence if I pull on the girth as hard as I can and it tightens a few holes I am not just crushing the horse!