Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

arandomuser
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2011, 3:45 am

As the title implies i like to cook, but for those who do, what is your favorite type of thing to cook? How about to eat?

I like to cook Comfort food : )

I like to eat every type of food, but i especially like Thai. Non specifically Asian Cuisine.

I think i like to cook and eat so much because food really does utilize the 5 senses IMO.

FalconPunch39
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

I love cooking, my favourite thing to cook is ground beef. But I specially enjoy making breakfast for my family :chef:

Sadly I can't bake though :cry: I'm afraid burning down the house :help:

"You look way more delicious than I expected!"

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

31 Oct 2011, 9:33 am

I like cooking, but I find it tedious to do it for other people (especially if they don't thank me for all the hard work I put into making the food). I like cooking roasts and baking.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Oct 2011, 12:09 pm

Honestly, I don't cook or like to cook, but the reasons might be different from others' reasons....

I can't stand the smell of cooking, and when anyone does come to our house and cooks, it takes me about a month to wash everything and get the smell out. It gets into the closets and everyplace, and there is even hint of it on furniture. I guess I have a double-standard on that, because I like it when other people cook, and it's in someone's else house.

People make fun of my wife and me, for having a huge 1000-square foot gourmet kitchen with double built-in Viking ovens, which are shut off and used for storage, and an indoor BBQ grill, and two double-basin sinks with vegetable prep island, and a giant built-in Subzero fridge with a few bottles of drinking water, and some frozen dinners from 2005 in there. I disconnected the gas from the Viking stove with built-in rise-up smoke evacuator last year, so it wouldn't get turned on accidentally. If it wouldn't devalue the house, I'd take the kitchen out, and make a workshop in there, and just have an apartment-size fridgette and a microwave.

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider on 31 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LjosalfrBlot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2011, 12:59 pm

I like to make awful things taste great, like duck fetus mixed in with seafood/beef yakisoba. I love mixing many ingredients together, the more flavor there is the better it turns out! Anyone want some of my recipes? :)

deadinhead
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 3:15 pm

I love to cook...but I'm unfortunately really bad at it..ha ha...
I burn toast...seriously.

COCONUT-MOON TURTLE!

keira
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

I don't like cooking but when I cook I'm pretty good at it. I like cooking soups, stews and various vegetable dishes.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

It really depends tbh, I normally cook passionately and I tend to sort of experiment with the flavourings and all that.
The results always turn out pretty ok. ;)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:31 pm

I like to cook spaghetti, shepherd's pie, chicken and stuffing casserole, chicken, rice and onion casserole and pancakes.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:47 pm

I like making a good curry every now and then, but i don't have a proper kitchen where i live now and i live in a large city with plenty of restaurants just outside my door.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

I like it, though I don't get to do it very often, nowadays. It seems to be one of the few "right-brained" things that that I have some ability with.

One of my future projects is to try to learn how to make apple fritters the way my grandmother used to. It involves shocking amounts of Crisco (lard) but those fritters would melt in your mouth.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 5:08 pm

I enjoy cooking a lot but I'm not an expert cook yet, I still mess my meals up sometimes either by overcooking or adding too much salt. Some day I would like the chance to study culinary arts so I can learn to be an expert cook and maybe get a job as a chef or being a private cook for somebody's house.

My favorite thing to do is marinating meat, I love to mix together some seasonings with oil and vinager and pour it into a bag with chicken or pokrchops and let it set over night that way the next day when it comes time to cook the meat has absorbed the flavor. I've gotten pretty good at cooking meat but I still have trouble with other things like pasta and vegetables.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 9:24 pm

I love to cook. The job I had the longest was at a small family owned pizza restaurant, where we were allowed to cook for ourselves during the slow parts of the day. Obviously, the first thing I learned to cook was pizza. I make a great one with roasted garlic sauce (just roasted garlic blended with olive oil), an extremely thin crust, mushrooms, caramelized onions, a 70/30 blend of mozzarella and provolone, and drizzled with truffle infused olive oil.

I've also gotten pretty good at grilling beef. You'd have to spend upwards of $50-60 or so at a good steakhouse to get one as good as what I make. And burgers, I do one where I blend the beef with about 1/4 chorizo then top with tomatoes, jalapenos (if the person I'm cooking for likes spicy), and queso Oaxaca.

I don't mess with pork (except in sausage form) or chicken too much, I tend to either undercook them or dry them out, and don't really have spare money to spend on "practice food."

Oh, I also do awesome fried tilapia tacos. It's the tequila-lime aioli that really makes them delicious.

People coming back for seconds (and I serve very generous portions), is one of the most satisfying things in the world to me.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 9:34 pm

I really enjoy cooking, specifically American/Canadian/European "comfort food" including:

meat loaf
roast poultry (chicken or turkey)
bbq chicken and pork (especially ribs)
ham
salmon (baked or bbq)
casseroles
chili
vegetarian patties
sour kraut/sausages/pork
savory soups (chowders, stews, etc).

My favourite cooking periodical is "Cooks Illustrated" which is published out of the USA. Each recipe if featured as a full article, where the author/recipe developer goes through the trial and errors in developing what they feel is the perfect recipe, reflecting what is best about the particular food item and also tweaking it so that it can be made with ingredients available in the average large supermarket throughout the US (and Canada). The articles also go into the science involved in cooking (such as how brining poultry affects the meat via osmosis, or how levening agents work with bread). It is a great read. Even if the specific recipes are not attempted - the discussion of cooking techniques is fascinating.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 6:42 pm

I love to cook all kinds of dishes when there are family and friends around to eat. I don't care to cook a whole lot of food for just myself.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 7:57 pm

Love to cook. Just not wash the pots :twisted:

Currently preparing a Gravlax salmon. That stuff takes forever to make but its *drool* good.