pro-cure, I'm an NT parent of an ASD child 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
anti-cure, I'm a NT parent of an ASD child 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 64

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

I'm doing a short writing assignment about the hypothetical cure and the anti-cure movement for my Aspects of Disability class, and I thought it'd be good if I had some (anonymously, unless you request otherwise) quotable outside thoughts and opinions instead of me just rambling on. Here's the actual prompt:

Quote:
Should medical science be limited in its scope of practice in order to treat/cure various disorders that lead to disability? Why or why not?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:32 am

Megz wrote:
I'm doing a short writing assignment about the hypothetical cure and the anti-cure movement for my Aspects of Disability class, and I thought it'd be good if I had some (anonymously, unless you request otherwise) quotable outside thoughts and opinions instead of me just rambling on. Here's the actual prompt:
Quote:
Should medical science be limited in its scope of practice in order to treat/cure various disorders that lead to disability? Why or why not?

It should treat anything that leads to severe impairment with extreme judiciousness but should never confuse between severe and mild. Milkd impairment is trickier. Are they impaired or is it the environment that makes them this way? We violate them if there is nothing wrong with them in the end. Why be concerned if people are just trying to help others, because it isn't as simple as that. Ego and the general intolerance from humankind can mess up the boundaries between unimpaired and impaired by making people impaired.

As for me I am fine thankyou very much. What problems I have are adequately explained as I can learn easily enough or society is cruel.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:37 am

I think it should. Ignoring all moral issues, if we could fix all 'disabilities' and everyone was 'normal' new disabilities would just arise. I mean, minor manifestations of the original problems, it would just lead to even more splintering in classifications.

For instance if medial science developed to the point where it could guarantee that all babies would be born physically healthy, attractive, mentally sound and able. The definition of mentally sound, healthy, attractive etc. would just change.

I think higherarchy will always exist as it's an integral (albeit unfair) social system. People enjoy having a tangible reason to feel superior to other people. Seeing 'disabled' people can make 'non-disabled' people feel well.

But I see most disabilities are a social disablement, so maybe I'm not the best to ask.

Although, I have have recently been diagnosed with dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscaluclia and have suspected Aspergers Syndrome and I personally find the idea of a 'cure' offensive. There's nothing wrong with me, not really. I'm just a bit different.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 1:51 pm

its to complex an issue at least with autism and mental retardation to judge at this point.to many hypothetical factors must sorted out.as far as other disabilities,id have to guess that if the disability is purely physical i dont see who wouldnt want a cure.i could be wrong though.i personaly dont believe anyone at this point has enough information to decide if a cure is good for learning and developmental disabilities.an exception might be edwards syndrome because life expectenc is so short

lau
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

I'm currently the only "other".

I don't think there is such a thing as a "cure".

I do think that all the money spent on finding such a thing is at best, wasted, and at worst, offensive to me (as I do not see how I could be me, if I were not "on the spectrum").

Furthermore, all the "treatments" that currently claim to offer a "cure" seem minimally bogus, if not dangerous/lethal.

Maybe I should have voted "anti", after all.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Speed_of_Dark
It's rather sad.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 6:45 pm

It should start with a cure for what decimates humans, something that has plagued mankind for as long as there are records, Lefthandedness.

10% carry this curse, they have been given every treatment, they still turn sinister.

Until we eradicate this epidemic, it is a waste to even try for the minor problems.

They are not real people, only a mirror image, and evil abomination of gods creation. The Right Hand of God, never the left.

Only then will we understand the root causes of other problems, most of which are likely caused by contact with the left handed.

Burning at the stake seems to work.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

Come now, Inventor. The lefties (to use the less offensive term for them) are just a little gauche. They can't help being less dexterous than the rest of us. Advocating decimation (your rather adroit choice of word - derived from the execution of every tenth member of a dishonoured Roman military unit) to eliminate them seems not quite righteous.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 9:39 am

lau wrote:
Come now, Inventor. The lefties (to use the less offensive term for them) are just a little gauche. They can't help being less dexterous than the rest of us. Advocating decimation (your rather adroit choice of word - derived from the execution of every tenth member of a dishonoured Roman military unit) to eliminate them seems not quite righteous.

It iant gauche. It's absolutely psychotic and is based on the assumption that all left-handed people act and think the same. A bigoted idea that instantly marks out the speaker as a danger to humanity.

Is inventor making an allegory about curism possibly? If he isn't then this is advocating genocide on spurious reasons.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 5:22 pm

It's that Ned Flanders, everything about that guy just creeps me out.

It is not genocide, that takes another group, they are copies of real people, made with a Magic Mirror, and Dark Forces.

The only way to free the real people is to destroy the reversed projection.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 5:39 pm

Inventor wrote:

It is not genocide, that takes another group, they are copies of real people, made with a Magic Mirror, and Dark Forces.

Are you actually being serious?

I have heard more insane stuff unline but the idea that a left handed person is evil is insane. Again I swear I have heard people say other stuff in a serious manner that is more insane.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 9:59 pm

From their Iso Rotated DNA on they are the source of all problems.

While not all are exposed, fulltime agents of the Leftorium, they spread their offhand confusion through the gene pool, how many seeming Normal Humans cannot use either hand well? That is The Broader Sinister Phenotype in action.

Look at what passes for handwriting! The decay over time is obvious.

Observe a Left Handed writer, twisted and writing upside down.

Look at how many children cannot throw or catch a ball with either hand!

Besides that, they march with a right foot forward, are left eyed, and this spreads till just walking has become a thing of the past, when no one is sure which foot to put forward, the result of Left Interbreeding, they just stand around.

Being a Left half breed, is what leads to failure in conditions of brain side dominance, Autism does seem stuck in the center, just missing the conversation on both the Left and the Right.

All conditions can be traced back to a confusion of the senses caused by as the common speech has it, Coming from Far Left Field.

We cannot let Political Correctness stop us from seeing the real problem, the one that directly produces all of the others.

A real scientific study would find that left handed ancestors are the cause of all current problems.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 10:00 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Inventor wrote:

Are you actually being serious?

I have heard more insane stuff unline but the idea that a left handed person is evil is insane. Again I swear I have heard people say other stuff in a serious manner that is more insane.

It depends on the culture. At one point in time people burned people alive at the stake with epilepsy because they were considered possessed and evil. Completely acceptable at that point in time. There was a point in time people did think lefties and epileptics were sinister, but we've gotten over these misconceptions, as a result of science and culture.

Autism is the flavor of the day. I agree with Inventor, neither left or right.

This autism thing has caused some confusion.

Ned Flanders is considered an analogy of "the religious right"; the righties, if you will, instead of the lefties. Some people don't see them as "right" (sane) others do.

Insane is a relative term, so is acceptable.

Back to your orginal question about the analogy thing, that's the logical comparison I like best. It's hard to figure out, at times, but given the proper resources, one can. I don't watch the Simpson's but google is my pal.

Regarding the topic question. I voted other

Medical science is a private industry that has the ability to move in their own direction, largely funded and motivated by private corporation, well beyond the resources of any charitable organization.

The limits of what may be accomplished regarding the cure or treatment of any disability, can only be done through the legal system, at least in the US. As long as there is potential profit, perceived need by the general public, it's not likely that politics will intervene.

The system enforces itself. If the ethics of the general public speak loud enough, restrictions may apply, if not they don't. Stem Cell Research is an example; the ethical concerns potentially affect politics and legal restrictions.

So my answer would be the system already in place, in the US, is probably as good as it gets. There is both incentive for further research with profit and potential for restrictions, if they exceed the ethical standards of the general public.

The general voting public, and the three branches of government should remain as the ones that make the determination of any restrictions on medical research to cure or treat disabilities.

There would have to a pretty compelling reason for me to hold an opinion to restrict research; from the perspective of someone outside the medical field looking in, what might seem irrelevant for me could be crucial research from experts in a field of specialized knowledge.

Last edited by aghogday on 01 Nov 2011, 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm

Megz wrote:
Here's the actual prompt:
Quote:
Thanks

I voted "Other".

Some disorders may not be curable. Some may not even be treatable. Thus, I believe that programs to find a cure or treatment for certain disorders may be futile, and that time, money, and effort should not be wasted on them.

AS is not a disease, therefor it can not be cured. There is some hope - maybe even some promise - that AS may be treatable in such a way that Aspies may be able to socialize better and handle stress and anxiety more effectively. Thus, I am certain that research into such treatments shall never be wasted.

Does this help?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
Megz wrote:
Here's the actual prompt:
Quote:
Thanks

I voted "Other".

Some disorders may not be curable. Some may not even be treatable. Thus, I believe that programs to find a cure or treatment for certain disorders may be futile, and that time, money, and effort should not be wasted on them.

AS is not a disease, therefor it can not be cured. There is some hope - maybe even some promise - that AS may be treatable in such a way that Aspies may be able to socialize better and handle stress and anxiety more effectively. Thus, I am certain that research into such treatments shall never be wasted.

Does this help?

Yep, that's helpful. That's kinda the direction I'm going.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 12:39 am

Medical Science has always been very tolerant as to what passes for people. They see them all, thier view of an aspie would be based on physical health alone.

Medical Disability means one thing, unable to act.

The recent rise of Psychology, has produced a new concept of disability.

People who were different, were still allowed in the world, worked, and no one ever thought they should be treated.

A Masters in Psychology thinks they should experiment with drugs on people Medical Doctors would not give drugs to.

A Doctorate in History does not allow you to give people drugs to fit your view of Historically Correct.

Disorders are invented where there were none, called disabilities, treatment is pushed, which limits the persons chances of just fitting in somewhere.

Psychology has made a lot of money slandering people that just got by only a generation ago.

As Jung said, "Show me a sane man, and I will cure him."

There is no such thing as Neurotypical, they are all something, some of the most charming are in prison.

Medical Science I support. Research all you want. Their ethics existed before laws, they have done well.

Psychology lacks Business Ethics. My calling for treating the Left handed, a threat to all that is good and decent, could make me a lot of money if I could get enough people to believe me.

Demonizing people for having uncommon but Medically normal traits, like the Autistic, known for being rule following and law abiding good citizens, mostly, where there is no need, cause, cure or treatment in sight, is just selling an illusion that there is a correct human, and those who are flawed.

Psychology is a Religion, with just as much scientific backing as the others.

They are also people that when I fix their computer, I have to take it to the shop, and they have to pay when they come pick it up. If I just fixed it, they would try to get out of paying. Politicians, Lawyers, Psychologists, the computer goes to the shop.

Some people just want to see who they can get over on.

In the case of the Autistic, we were much better off when we were just odd, with a strange sense of humor.

People wanting to cure us had better submit some good research, and sell us on the idea. We would go for better social skills.

Those who call us an epidemic, want to eradicate us, do not know the meaning of words, what is scientifically possible, Genetic Cure?

The first rule, do no harm.

I favor medical Science, more Genetic Research, but not targeted at any particular group that has always been around, and has done some good things.

Curing the Left Handed would show a good faith effort, and ability.

It also would not be Legal, Ethical, or meet Medical Need.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 5:19 am

Inventor wrote:
It depends on the culture. At one point in time people burned people alive at the stake with epilepsy because they were considered possessed and evil. Completely acceptable at that point in time. There was a point in time people did think lefties and epileptics were sinister, but we've gotten over these misconceptions, as a result of science and culture.

He was talking about curing left-handed people seriously and I was trying to ask him whether it was an analogy. He was advocating killing off left-handed people. I didn't presume because I have seen more insane things on the internet before. If he really is advocating this then he's a butcher for spurious reasons.

Culture doesn't mean anything is more sane. It just means people are putting fingers in their ears and saying "PRECEDENT PRECEDENT PRECEDENT"