Upcoming Game Has Autistic Protagonist

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MoonMetropolis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2011, 3:56 pm

I never thought it would happen, but a new survival horror game - Amy - has you guiding an 8-year-old girl with autism through a disease-ridden city filled with monsters and danger on every corner. Here's an article from back when the game was first announced for PSN only (it's now been slated for release on XBLA and PC as well):

http://www.fearnet.com/news/photos/b222 ... e_amy.html

IGN's description of the game sounded very different, however:

IGN wrote:
Guilt is a hard emotion to separate from violence. Video games typically avoid it as much as possible, conjuring damsel-in-distress scenarios when killing every last person in the room is the only possible solution. Amy is the opposite experience, an endurance test for the selfish and guilty mind.

You'll play as a scientist trying to cross a zombie-infested city with a mysterious eight-year-old girl called Amy. Throughout you'll be able to give Amy orders, sending her ahead to open a door, scout a dark area with her lamp, or crawl into small passages only she can squeeze into. While Amy will generally accept your orders, she's not quite a brave soldier. You'll see her becoming increasingly fearful when she senses zombies near, shaking and covering her face with her hands in fear. This thoughtful touch adds a sense of guilt to every decision to send Amy to do something on your behalf.

Indeed, there's something perverse and cowardly about an adult sending a child out on the first wave in a crisis situation, either for convenience or necessity. And yet the temptation to do so is insistent, each level filled with small icons pointing out all of the places you could send Amy in your stead. Like all great horror experiences, Amy is not about shock and surprise but creating an environment wherein the player will feel that they've done something terribly wrong. Worst of all, someone else will have to pay the price.

This is exactly the kind of game that a major studio wouldn't even dream of releasing. It's a major artistic risk that only an independent developer would touch. In fact, it may very well be the first game with a disabled protagonist. Have you all heard about this game? It's from Paul Cuisset, the creator of classic cinematic platformer Flashback.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/268572923155605/ <--- Join the Wrong Planet Facebook group... or else.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

Where exactly does it say that she is Autistic?

MoonMetropolis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2011, 4:14 pm

Click the link:

FEARnet wrote:
Players will take control of Lana, a woman trying to survive amidst a deadly viral outbreak that has turned most of the human population into something quite inhuman. She is tasked with protecting the titular Amy, an autistic girl who has "curious powers" that help stave off the viral infection that is affecting Lana.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/268572923155605/ <--- Join the Wrong Planet Facebook group... or else.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 5:16 pm

That's kind of interesting that they're making a game that specifically states that one of the protagonists is an autistic. I like to think of a lot of the protangonists in the Nintendo games as being autistic specifically Mario and Luigi because they hardly ever talk and are kind of quirky. Luigi's Mansion comes to mind because in the game Luigi never talks, he just listens to E. Gadd while he's talking and nods his head and he also acts quirky throughout the game. Paper Mario is basically the same way along with many other games. I'm not sure if this is intended, but I doubt that the characters were actually meant to be portrayed as being autistic. It'd be nice if there were more characters in video games and movies that are specifically said to be autistic that portray them in a positive way so that people would percieve us in the same way as the characters in the video games and movies.

MoonMetropolis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2011, 5:42 pm

The "silent protagonist" is a classic video game archetype; countless games have main characters that never utter a single word. It's doubtful that these characters were intended to be autistic, but many of them do indeed act like it. The creator of Pokemon had aspergers, so who knows? I do think it's very interesting that a game with an explicitly autistic protagonist is being made, though. I, too, would like to see more autistic characters, but not over-the-type caricatures like the one in Mary and Max.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm

According to Wikipedia Miyamoto was Tajiri's mentor back in the 1990s. It appears that Tajiri has great respect for Miyamoto. There are also references to both of them in the Pokemon anime series. It's possible that knowing Tajiri might have influenced Miyamoto when he was producing some of his games and caused him to incorperate more autistic traits into the characters. Miyamoto has a lot of influence at Nintendo and the way a lot of the characters are viewed has changed since the 1990s with the development of the Nintendo 64 and its successors.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 7:12 pm

This is me being cynical here, but nowhere in those articles does it say how exactly Amy having autism matters in the slightest, or why I should care that she does.

Until I seem some info on how her having autism affects gameplay or story I'll just throw this under blatant publicity grab.

MoonMetropolis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

Mike1 wrote:
According to Wikipedia Miyamoto was Tajiri's mentor back in the 1990s. It appears that Tajiri has great respect for Miyamoto. There are also references to both of them in the Pokemon anime series. It's possible that knowing Tajiri might have influenced Miyamoto when he was producing some of his games and caused him to incorperate more autistic traits into the characters. Miyamoto has a lot of influence at Nintendo and the way a lot of the characters are viewed has changed since the 1990s with the development of the Nintendo 64 and its successors.

Did you know that the character Ash Ketchum was inspired by Tajiri as a child, who enjoyed insect collecting as a hobby? His insect collecting was the basis for Pokemon, as well as his fascination with video games (he once took his Famicom apart to see how it worked). It is certainly possible that some other Nintendo characters were inspired by Tajiri and his quirky traits.

darkstone100 wrote:
This is me being cynical here, but nowhere in those articles does it say how exactly Amy having autism matters in the slightest, or why I should care that she does.

Until I seem some info on how her having autism affects gameplay or story I'll just throw this under blatant publicity grab.

How COULD it possibly affect gameplay? That's just ridiculous. A character's personality couldn't possibly affect the gameplay. In this game, it only serves to make Amy seem more strange and vulnerable.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 9:17 pm

MoonMetropolis wrote:
Mike1 wrote:

Did you know that the character Ash Ketchum was inspired by Tajiri as a child, who enjoyed insect collecting as a hobby? His insect collecting was the basis for Pokemon, as well as his fascination with video games (he once took his Famicom apart to see how it worked). It is certainly possible that some other Nintendo characters were inspired by Tajiri and his quirky traits.

darkstone100 wrote:

How COULD it possibly affect gameplay? That's just ridiculous. A character's personality couldn't possibly affect the gameplay. In this game, it only serves to make Amy seem more strange and vulnerable.

Her personality will influence how the player feels about sending her into dangerous situations. So it's pretty damn important...

Sounds like a pretty annoying game though. Stupid autistic girl is probably going to misinterpret orders or something, or be generally pathetic all around.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 9:19 pm

I'd give it a shot it sounds very ground breaking. We have so many games that glorify violence why not make a game that triggers opposite emotions. I don't get offended easily when it comes to violent games. I even like the rush of fear sometimes.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm

MoonMetropolis wrote:

darkstone100 wrote:

It had better affect gameplay, otherwise what other reason would there be to mention that this 8 year old child has autism. You can have a scary survival horror game where you control a 8 year old girl through certain sections of the game, where the child's innate vulnerability raises the tension for the player without giving any mention that she has autism at any level and the player will still find the encounters tense or scary.

But since it has been said that she does have autism, how does this affect the child's personality, her actions, her motivations for survival? Although from those two articles I'm getting the sense that the excuse for why an 8 year old child can figure out complex puzzles (solved by the player) is due to her autism.

If you're going to give your character a unique character trait, it had better factor in how they are controlled by the player somehow, otherwise why mention it at all beside to garner controversial buzz?

MoonMetropolis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2011, 11:42 pm

I was talking about control of the actual GAMEPLAY, not the story and the emotions it triggers in the player. Obviously, the character being autistic is going to add to the guilt that the player feels when sending her out into dangerous situations, and will also add a level of depth and mysteriousness not normally seen in video game characters. Strange characters trying to survive together is an age-old horror motif as well.

And yes, I agree that it's nice to finally see a game that does the exact opposite of glorifying violence.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 12:41 am

MoonMetropolis wrote:
I was talking about control of the actual GAMEPLAY, not the story and the emotions it triggers in the player. Obviously, the character being autistic is going to add to the guilt that the player feels when sending her out into dangerous situations, and will also add a level of depth and mysteriousness not normally seen in video game characters. Strange characters trying to survive together is an age-old horror motif as well.

And yes, I agree that it's nice to finally see a game that does the exact opposite of glorifying violence.
I was talking about gameplay, but this may just come down to a difference in opinion of what the definition of gameplay is, so I see no reason to further discuss that topic. And why exactly should a player feel more guilty sending an "autistic" child off to complete a dangerous task as apposed to a "normal" child, I certainly hope there's more to the character having autism than for us to pity them when we have to send them off to complete a necessary objective in the game.

But who really knows right? The game hasn't even been released yet, and I've only got these two short articles on the game to base my opinion off of. Maybe the dev. will be able to create a truly engaging story between these two characters in this game that makes the player care about them, I certainly hope so I love games with a deep plot that takes risks and doesn't rely on the safe bet to score easy cash.

But the only reason why my posts so far are on the cynical side is that there is a chance that the subject matter involved will not be handled with care, and will only be used as a gimmick.

But like I said who knows, only time and the final product will tell.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 5:35 am

Sounds cooolo. Just hope it isn't too scatty and seizure-inducing, as are most films / games involving little girls.

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Nov 2011, 7:04 am

I remember hearing about this game. I really don't get what the point of arguing is at this point, though. I mean, isn't it just a little silly to start forcing negative hype on a game with nothing to base hype on? I'll be waiting to hear more from this, but I'm going to let the game speak for itself. Oh, and the reviews, but whatever. :P

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 10:05 am

MoonMetropolis wrote:
In fact, it may very well be the first game with a disabled protagonist.

Unless you count Super Wheelchair Mario ;)