Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mariko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2012, 3:38 pm

i have colour synaesthesia.i see all words,days,numbers,names,people etc. colour

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 4:48 pm

When I was little, a Sunset magazine, in the optometrist's office, said that people seeing images like these need to have eye surgery.

Decades earlier, relatives reporting these sensations were put in mental wards.

So, I hadn't mentioned it for twenty years.

Informally speaking, I believe it lies on the spectrum of dissociation, based on the complexity and details of the experience.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 5:01 pm

I also believe that synesthesia was integral to many holistic schools of thought, although I'm very pragmatic about the claims.

Juliana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2012, 5:14 pm

I don't think what I have technically counts as synesthesia, but I do overlap things. Concepts have specific locations for me and numbers have direct associations with certain letters (and NOT in a logical a=1, b=2, etc. kind of way). Numbers and letters also have genders.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 5:44 pm

I acknowledge that metaphysical topics are frequently frowned upon for their emotionality, oftentimes, rightly so, but I am also results-oriented when referring to that field of study.

In that gender, musical notes, etc, were all attributable to material substances, I respectfully maintain that similar overlaps were described by our forebears, becoming the basis of many arts, as well as sciences.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 10:28 pm

I have sound to color as well OP.
I also am a musician.
The difference is the intensity has increased with age. I know how to control it better as I aged, but that does not help with certain sounds. For example, being around children is now very difficult. Loud rooms with several people talking triggers migranes. Sensory overload is common for me.
I have a very understanding boyfriend, but I have very real limits.
Music is an escape.