The things you find out about your family ^_^

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

Via Facebook, I recently found a relative from my dad's side of the family who is both gay and an Episcopal priest, and he lives in Utah. I just had to get in contact with him, so I sent him a message. He confirmed that we were relatives (my grandparents were his aunt and uncle, which would make us cousins). I told him that I was gay and he said that he was very glad to hear from me. Now, we are continuing our conversation via e-mail.

I'm so excited to have found this out! I'd never even heard of him before, and the reason I found him on Facebook was because he was friends with people I already knew were relatives of mine, and since he has the same last name as I do, I induced that we must be related.

rexirodkc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Nov 2011, 10:12 pm

I envy you! No one in my family is gay (or at least has come out) so I feel very alone in that aspect. It would be nice to discuss non-hetero topics with blood relatives. I read various news articles online but never feel comfortable bringing anything up in conversations with my family.

thfy
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2011, 3:21 am

Neat! It's always cool to find relatives who aren't particularly mad. :D

All of the females in my entire family from my older sister on are at least bisexual (sister, sister, niece, I'm lesbian), but no one else is lesbian in my family... except my aunt Joanne, may she rest in peace. Who once rolled a car nine times and broke only her watch.

Considering the sudden explosion of queers the instant my dad created a liberal side of the family, there's probably a giant hoarde of closet cases among my relatives on the other side of the country. :roll: There is not a single liberal straight woman in my entire extended family, so, uh...

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 3:32 am

One of my cousins is openly gay, and my sister only recently admitted to me that she's "practically bi" and not inexperienced with the ladies. She was getting gay sex before I was. No fair.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2011, 10:08 pm

I'm 99.9% convinced that one of my great uncles is gay. He was a marine, then moved to Laguna Beach after getting out. When I was in kindergarten, he came to visit for a week with my aunt and his "roommate". Even when I was 5, I thought that was kind of weird. At some point in elementary school, I overheard my mom mentioning to someone that my aunt and uncle took separate vacations every year. Eventually, they got divorced, she moved to Palm Springs, and apparently they're still friends. He's been single for the past ~20 years. Yeah, overwhelming evidence splattered everywhere.

Unfortunately, he lives on the other side of the country, I haven't even seen him in 25 years, and I've never really been able to think of any non-weird way to get back in contact. And I'm too socially handicapped to ever pull off gracefully faking a business trip to LA and innocently suggesting that we meet up for dinner to catch up on family history...

mandypants
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Nov 2011, 7:51 am

Descartes wrote:
Via Facebook, I recently found a relative from my dad's side of the family who is both gay and an Episcopal priest, and he lives in Utah. I just had to get in contact with him, so I sent him a message. He confirmed that we were relatives (my grandparents were his aunt and uncle, which would make us cousins). I told him that I was gay and he said that he was very glad to hear from me. Now, we are continuing our conversation via e-mail.

I'm so excited to have found this out! I'd never even heard of him before, and the reason I found him on Facebook was because he was friends with people I already knew were relatives of mine, and since he has the same last name as I do, I induced that we must be related.

That must be so nice! My relatives are Polish (Poland didn't really have a sexual revolution...), conservative, and some are *very* Catholic, so the chance of somebody coming out is quite slim (I'm betting pretty heavily on my cousin, though). But meeting someone from my hometown (also quite Catholic and conservative) who was openly gay was a revelation. Even though his experience was very different from mine, the experience of feeling isolated in our communities really bonded us.

That said, I would like to meet other queer Poles and hear about their experiences (are any of you out there?).