Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2011, 7:37 pm

Do some people have unusal interests they know that an NT would never even think about?
My unusal interest is the HFS+ filesystem. I like to understand how it works say how the catalog file and attrbiutes file work together etc, How free space is tracked through the bitmap.

Ive even written a little program to count how many lifetime writes my HFS+ partition has done and it is over 170 Million.

LunaUlysses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2011, 7:42 pm

Hmm, does taking lore/history/science mentioned in game, and then deeply researching them and into their backgrounds work? There's a JRPG series called Ar Tonelico that I started researching into some of their actual video game lore, and then into what they've taken from the real world from their ideas and went all the way down to the whole string-theory/wave-theory. I spent HOURS reading up on it, just being fascinated.
I also roleplay on the internet, and I'll take a general idea for a character, and then spend hours researching into a specific area so I can make the character fit, and add my own twists/ideas to it. Such as the archangel Raziel. I spent hours reading up on angelogy and what not just to learn as much as I could. Also for my Djinn/Genie/spirit character. I poured over the internet finding as much as I could, and when I couldn't find anything new, and it was all repeating of what I"d already read...only then did I stop and actually decide on how to do things and build the character.

Spacewarp
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2011, 8:33 pm

Not sure if it counts but I nearly always have a couple of personal projects that appear to be very esoteric (even when I feel that they're obvious it can be nearly impossible to find existing material on the subject). These tend to shift very rapidly tough. At the moment I'm (among other things) working on a good algorithm to illustrate and render arbitrary (non-trivial) spacetime topologies for the purpose of putting it in an RPG (in short: a mix of applied computer science, strange mathematics and game design).

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

My most unusual special interest is probably bosses in video games, but as for the one that no NT would even think about it would one of my mathematics related ones, maybe iteration.

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2011, 9:06 am

Does satanism count as an unusual interest?

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Nov 2011, 11:40 am

I think that having an interest (or an obsession) with a bizarre hobby or passtime, is an autism classic symptom. In my case, I have been obsessed with air raid (tornado) sirens since I was a toddler. Don't ask me why, because I have no clue. I just am that way. As an adult, I collect and restore vintage civil defense sirens (the big 1000-lb kind that you see on utility poles; not the little ones on fire trucks and police cars). I also am fascinated with vintage electronics, and I have several hundred early model TV sets.

Charles