Do people refuse to introduce you to others?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 8:16 am

Do people refuse to introduce you to others when, for example, it's a new person in a workplace or some other type of social group you're close to? Does it happen especially if it's a member of the opposite sex?

I can see how introducing people to others, rather than refusing to do so, would help because it would demystify the other person if you know what I mean. If people refuse a lot, I can imagine it would be a sort of damning indictment for a person.

monkees4va
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2011, 5:19 pm

I wouldn't say so personally. A few people are reluctant for me to meet anyone, but they are control freaks who I'm still trying to shake off. I'm looking forward to going to study in Edinburgh soon as I will get away from the majority and hopefully meet new people. Feeling lonely at the moment as my best friend has started ignoring me completely for this other girl who's just using her. I guess that means she isn't my best friend anymore.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 65 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 1:37 pm

I hate not being introduced to someone, when the person I'm with knows I've never met them before. I walked out of a wedding reception because of this. My husband knew most of the people at our table. I was feeling uncomfortable enough as it was. If he had at least told someone my name and who I was, maybe a conversation would have started. But, I remember being stared at and no-one spoke to me. Eventually I left and demanded to be taken home. He didn't realise that this was upsetting for me, but he knows now.

And before we were married, we were at a Christmas party with his colleagues. The company had lots of little offices all over the UK and few people had met those from other offices. One of the English guys was hitting on me, as he didn't realise the man I was with was my fiance, he thought I just worked with him. If only he'd introduced me as his finacee.

He's socially inept too (I would say moreso than me).