Is Google search dead now without enabling scripts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

On searches today Google no longer works. It just gives an empty screen and no search results. I'm using Firefox with NoScript and AdBlocker Plus. Anyone else having the same problem?

I'm having to use Bing... which seems to have improved enormously since I last tried it a long time ago.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 2:22 pm

TallyMan wrote:
On searches today Google no longer works. It just gives an empty screen and no search results. I'm using Firefox with NoScript and AdBlocker Plus. Anyone else having the same problem?

I'm having to use Bing... which seems to have improved enormously since I last tried it a long time ago.

Google is working fine for me

ruveyn

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 5:26 pm

I just tried again with a fresh IP session and closed and re-opened Firefox. Google search is still unusable without telling NoScript to allow Google.co.uk (the default domain I use for Google search). Then it slows down and wants to do all that predictive typing crap (which is too slow and irritating to use on dial-up internet).

Interestingly Google is too clever by half because if I try to open www.google.com it changes the url to www.google.fr which I don't want. If I change it back to .com it changes it back again to .fr completely ignoring my choice - Google knows better - because I'm in France I must use their French version in the French language not the generic American version. Bloody Google! Bing is looking more an more appealing. At least I don't have to grant it any script privileges.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 7:01 pm

TallyMan wrote:
...! Bing is looking more an more appealing. At least I don't have to grant it any script privileges.

All Bing requires s a sample of your blood, so they can clone you, when they want to.

(I'm happy to give script privileges to sites I trust. I'd never give such privileges to a Microsoft site.)

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 7:45 pm

It's been working fine for me, although the Linux distro I use defaults me to a slightly different Google search page (one with their advertising) and that might have something to do with it.

And yes, Google like you to use the sight for your own country. I'm guessing it's so that it will follow any laws specific too that country (for example, some countries make it illegal for Google to auto-suggest websites offering illegal downloads).

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 4:13 am

lau wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
...! Bing is looking more an more appealing. At least I don't have to grant it any script privileges.

All Bing requires s a sample of your blood, so they can clone you, when they want to.

(I'm happy to give script privileges to sites I trust. I'd never give such privileges to a Microsoft site.)

Can't say that I trust Microsoft or Google! Whoever doesn't need scripts gets my vote, so that looks like Bing from now on. I rarely grant script privileges to any site and I've never been hit with any driveby malware, which seems to be an increasingly frequent complaint from internet users.