Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

impulse94 wrote:
Whatever you do, if you have been taking any for a while, do not stop taking them cold turkey (i.e. suddenly). You should be weaned off or switch to a similar type. It takes a while for the effect to build up in your system, and after that you achieve a certain level of stability. Quitting suddenly can have severe effects.

Even if you ease yourself off them slowly as advised by the doctor then the withdrawal can still be painful. Citalopram withdrawal for me caused:

Scary maniacal laughter episodes
Uncontrollable sobbing and the most desperate lows
Aggressive mood swings
Dizziness
"Brain jolts" (or zaps or whatever you want to call them)

And nearly nine months down the line continuing sexual dysfunction, which I've read may continue indefinitely :cry:

I do not like anti-depressants.

melanieeee
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

Thanks guys for your input. I'm taking the generic brand of lexapro and was already told by my doctor and pharmacologist that I would feel dizzy and nauseous which I kind of have been feeling.

MerciXFaveur
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

In the past I have taken SSRIs like Fluoxetine, Paroxetine and Citalopram. I then moved onto a Tetracyclic called Mirtazapine and have most recently been on a SNRI called Venlafaxine (which I believe is branded Effexor in most places)

As for effects, well, my prescribed dosage of Venlafaxine makes me physically sick so I am currently avoiding taking it in favour of pretending to have taken it at the moment.

There's a frighteningly suspicious amount of antidepressants out there, I'm beginning to think I should have a go at making do without them . . .

invisiblespectrum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

I have mixed feelings about anti-depressants.

I don't think anyone's first reaction to a person being mildly or moderately depressed ought to be medication. In many cases studies have shown that other treatments are just as effective for mild to moderate depression, and they don't have the potential side effects or dependency of medication, so they ought to be tried first. If those treatments don't work, then medication should be a next step.

I also don't think medication should ever be the only treatment anyone gets. People who are on anti-depressants also should be given counseling. Anti-depressants are kind of like air bags: air bags are very useful and can greatly reduce the chances of injury in some accidents, but it is still essential to always wear a seat belt. Similarly, anti-depressants are very useful and can greatly reduce depression, but they are part of a potential treatment plan for depression, just like air bags are only part of a car's passive safety systems.

But they absolutely are useful and needed in some cases.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

I've tried several types in the past but responded badly to them all. I don't trust them. I even was tried with Anti-pshycotics and they were scary so didn't touch them again.

MerciXFaveur
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Robdemanc Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:28 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried several types in the past but responded badly to them all. I don't trust them. I even was tried with Anti-pshycotics and they were scary so didn't touch them again.

Yeah. I was given Quetiapine not long ago. Won't be taking that again!

melanieeee
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2011, 3:25 pm

Lol more specifically what do anti-psychotics do?

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 4:16 am

melanieeee wrote:
Lol more specifically what do anti-psychotics do?

They just sedate people, but not in a nice floaty valium way. They do it in a "I've just been smacked over the head with a hammer" sort of way.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 9:23 am

I have taken anti-depressants a couple of times. They do smooth my emotions out a little. However, to me the side effects are worse than being depressed, so I don't usually stay on them that long.

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2011, 9:55 am

Re: antidepressants. They're not the same as anti psychotic drugs, which are basically tranquilizers. I've tried close to 10 different antidepressants over the years, mainly SSRIs. Some just make me dizzy and don't help otherwise, even after several months there is no improvement. But most give me exaggerated side effect that I can't handle for more than a week or two.

From what I gathered there are lots of people with AS who don't react or overreact to antidepressants.

The connection between Serotonin deficiency and anxiety and depressions is not a scientifically proven fact. There are NO scientific research papers (academic, peer-reviewed) out there that prove this except for some pseudo-science propaganda funded by big pharma. There is just drug statistics that shows that about 25% of patients benefit from antidepressants which is about the same as number of patients who took placebo during tests. Antidepressants are just as good as placebo. It's the pharmaceutical industry that turned this into "a fact" through campaigns and advertising and manipulation or outright bribery to push their drugs, to the point that many doctors present this to you as a fact, which is not true.

According to NIH about the same number of patients improve spontaneously or through therapy, assuming they don't have any other underlying issues that cause depression and anxiety. Also, serotonin levels vary between areas of the brain. Antidepressants increase serotonin levels globally or even randomly which may cause various reaction among different people depending on their pre-existing Serotonin levels.

Even assuming that there is a connection, a person with Aspergers may have normal serotonin levels and that's what makes them super-sensitive to drugs that increase Serotonin levels; a speculation too. Because increasing the levels of Serotonin will make you feel sick too: hyperactive, edgy, headaches, confusion, insomnia, hypersensitivity to stimuli and pain it might lead to burnout, exhaustion, fast heartbean and... anxiety or even death, it might even lead to Serotonin Irritation Syndrome (SIS). Then you need to have your Serotonin levels lowered quickly. In a person with AS who has normal Serotonin levels, increasing Serotonin levels may make them feel even worse by increasing the symptoms they already have because of their AS.

If your side effects don't go away after two weeks, or even get worse, you should tell you doctor and gradually lower the dose and get off of the medication.

A few NIH links:

Overview of mental health medications:
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publicat ... ndex.shtml

Serotonin Syndrome:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 007272.htm

Serotonin and depression:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277931/

Excerpt:

"Contemporary neuroscience research has failed to confirm any serotonergic lesion in any mental disorder, and has in fact provided significant counterevidence to the explanation of a simple neurotransmitter deficiency. "

Ethical issues in psychopharmacology:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2564489/

Excerpts:

"A behemoth pharmaceutical industry has created corporate psychiatry along with industry sponsored clinical research, direct to consumer marketing of antidepressants, ghost writing for medical journals and a major war for the market share. All the trappings are in place for marketing the disease rather than the cure."

"[...]the pharmaceutical industry has an enormous financial interest in protecting the hypothesis, the problems with the theory are seldom discussed and less likely to reach publication"

"Although the serotonin theory might offer a compelling view within our physiochemical model of the brain, its main problem is over simplicity in the overall neurochemical scenario. Even more to the point, however, it is probably false. The fact of the matter is that there never was a consistent body of evidence to support the theory."

"There are few neuroscientists today who would embrace the serotonin hypothesis."

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 11:45 am

One of the things I think is very curiuos about modern anti-depressants is that they have been developed since the 1950's by pharmaceutical firms, and at the same time the drug M.DM.A was synthesized in America by a research chemist. They both work in similar ways, although anti-depressants do only a fraction of what M.D.M.A does to a person. While one is illegal, the others are being pushed on the public who can get them by just going to the doctor and complaining of having anything from insomnia to stress or anxiety. They are not just prescribed to depressed patients.

I think it would be much better to prescribe M.D.M.A in low doses during a counselling session as this drug can uncover hidden traumas etc.

I suspect all modern anti-depressents (tryciclics, SRIs, SSRIs, SNRIs etc) came about because of the research done with M.D.M.A which only became illegal in the 1980's.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 11:48 am

leejosepho wrote:
impulse94 wrote:
If it's the right one for you, it will work. Those who say they are placebos are wrong.

The article I had linked does not say they are placebos, but that their effect is typically the same ...

Quote:
Several studies have concluded that antidepressants are only marginally effective over placebo. And when you factor in UNPBULISHED trials, they become LESS effective than placebo.

For example, a 2002 meta-analysis of published clinical trials indicated that 75 percent of the response to antidepressants could be duplicated by placebo. Similarly, in 2008, a meta-analysis published in PLoS Medicine concluded that the difference between antidepressants and placebo pills is very small—and that both are ineffective for most depressed patients. Only the most severely depressed showed any response to antidepressants at all, and that response was quite minimal.

This makes sense when you consider that these drugs don't address the cause, which likely has its beginnings in nutritional deficiencies, and in "emotional short-circuiting."

But rather than accepting the fact that antidepressants are missing their mark, add-on drugs like Abilify are marketed as the "solution." It's a perfect example of the old adage that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results." Rather than solving a problem, the polypharmacy strategy compounds it.

The word 'polypharmacy' means "many drugs," and essentially refers to instances where an individual is taking too many drugs--either because more drugs are prescribed than clinically indicated, or when the sheer number of pills simply becomes a burden for the patient. Polypharmacy is a significant problem, as the more drugs you mix together, the greater the chances of serious side effects, and people taking psychiatric drugs appear to be particularly prone to polypharmacy.

I've had over sixty years of experience with my own biochemistry and psyche, and Clinical Depression, which I now believe to have arisen from the Asperger's. I'm quite certain that my roots aren't in nutritional deficiencies, because for many years I was a Health Food and Supplement nut, and I've persistently tried many vitamins, including in megadoses ( of the ones that are generally harmless in overdose), and sometimes they've helped the depression a little, but not much. Likewise, though mine cycles with SAD when unmedicated, light boxes in winter never did much, except maybe a feeling that I was actually doing something, as in Placebo.

A combination of Zoloft and Pamelor do work for me, unlike some of the other antidepressants, and _they_ don't do anything for stress and panic attacks. For those, I use Xanax.

But I never do take many drugs at one time: I'm all too aware of the unpredictable effects of combining things: a person I knew died in her sleep one night because she had taken an OTC cold pill for her sniffles, on top of her daily dose of anti-seizure medication. When I first try things, it's in the summer when my system is clear of antidepressants, and even if they do what I want, like a cold med, I still don't take them in combination with the antidepressants.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 11:55 am

I was prescribed them when work became too much for me. But the problem was work, not depression The further I am from that place the happier I am.

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm

I am on wellbutrin and the only side effects I have had are 'auras' and 'agitated' emotions. It completely obliterated my severe, suicidal, depression...

Since I started smoking cigarettes tho, I know this is bad but I am cutting back on it because so far the cigarettes are more beneficial to my *mental** health at this point than the wb which is causing me to be agitated and give me the feeling I'm going to have a seizure..

No other AD has helped with depression as much as this med however wb does give me worsened anxiety.

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2011, 12:44 pm

I've been on Sertraline (generic Zoloft) for the last 4 and a half years, though I'm currently on 1/4th of the dose I started on. There are side effects I don't like (mostly relevant when I was on the higher dose - it decreased sex drive, and I'd have to eat a HUGE meal to be able to take the pill without getting nauseous, among other things), but it certainly helps with depression/anxiety/OCD.

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2011, 12:59 pm

I'm glad they work for some of you. Wellbutrin had no effect on me, seriously. I took it for few weeks and felt nothing. Zoloft gave me complete insomnia. I had to stop it after not sleeping for a week. The only medication that seemed to work was Prozac, but it lost effectiveness after just over a year and at 60mg, and I could not go any higher due to bad side effects.

I've started something called Gabapentin. It's not an antidepressant. It's used to treat epilepsy and pain but one of its side effects is lowering anxiety. So psychiatrists use it off-label to treat anxiety. I've been on it only for 2 days so I can't tell anything yet.