Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 9:17 am

do u agree that a lot of people who were nice as children grow up too be really nasty adults?

i have seen it happen so many times for it not too be true... its like over the years there happy smiling faces turn too frowns and as they hit there teenage years there personality really changes.

in school as a teenager i knew douchbags and bullies who grew up too be great people.. some of my friends at school who were really cool and fun too be around as they got too there late teens turned out too be unpleasent, misrable and boring.

do you see the pattern here?

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2011, 9:22 am

Reminded me about the introduction to a book I once read. Not scientifically proven, but I believe is still relevant to some degree.

The Art of Roughhousing----by Anthony-T-DeBenedet

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Roughhousing- ... 1594744874

Mentions how roughhouse playing back in growing up(including school), leads to a more mature and developed adult mindset.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 9:30 am

its not rocket science too see that a happy smiling child when they hit there teenager years will grow up too be a villian :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

Jamesy wrote:
its not rocket science too see that a happy smiling child when they hit there teenager years will grow up too be a villian :)

Why?

Why would they?
And why is it obvious?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 10:13 am

okay maybe a villlian is a bit over the top and in fact what i should have said was 'snotty' not a villian lol.

my theory is that a child who is smiles and is very sweet will just grow too be the complete opposite of that. its a gradual process and i have seen it happen with my brother and loads of other kids i knew at school. it could be down too them or it could there parents that influence them too change for the worst or the better?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

Jamesy wrote:
okay maybe a villlian is a bit over the top and in fact what i should have said was 'snotty' not a villian lol.

my theory is that a child who is smiles and is very sweet will just grow too be the complete opposite of that. its a gradual process and i have seen it happen with my brother and loads of other kids i knew at school. it could be down too them or it could there parents that influence them too change for the worst or the better?

I don't buy that theory. Nice kids grow up into nice adults probably at the same rate as anyone. And hardly anyone is particularly pleasant as a teen. Just ... all people are constantly evolving and predicting how someone will be as an adult by their behavior as a child is a poor guess.

That said, I have observed as a parent that one does have to be careful not to assume your nice little child is always going to be nice. My daughter did learn to play her sweet demeanor to her own advantage quickly, and if allowed will take advantage of "appearing" nice. Answer is, we don't let her. We call her on it, and remind her that if she isn't actually consistently nice, people WILL figure it out, and WILL turn away from her because of it. There may be times that a parent allows the rose colored glasses on their faces to linger too long, and fails to teach that lesson ... but talking to other moms I'd say most of us know EXACTLY when our kids go too far.