I will never watch another Hollywood movie again

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 12:42 am

I have sworn off movies twice before. Once I was sick of ads before the feature, so I started arriving 15 mins after the advertised showtime to avoid them. Then I saw a horrible movie at an anolog theater. So I said from then on I'd only watch movies at digital theaters. Then I learned about Richard O'Dwyer. Mr. O'Dwyer is fighting extradition to the US because he created a website featuring links to potential pirate sites. It's not hard to make a link. Creating a hyperlink is a single HTML command. The bottom line is this: I refuse to patronize an industry that goes after a single website operator who is not based in their juris diction and who ran a site containing links only. I mean, shut him down? Ok. It's your copyright. But seek criminal charges? f**k you. My government is tottaly out of line on this one. I would like to apologize on behalf of the rest of America. We are not all that stupid. We're sorry.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

I'm starting to get bored with movies. The other night, I gave 3 movies on netflix a chance, but I couldn't get 15 minutes through them. I just feel like I've already seen all there is to see from movies. I haven't been excited for a new movie coming out in years. The may have been Transformers from 2006, I think? While I liked it for the nostalgia, I have no intention of watching any of the sequels, because I knew they would be trash.

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2011, 11:36 am

I was a movie junkie for years and now I avoid most new releases. There are too many remakes and most story lines have become dull and repetitive. Here's something I've also noticed - The first 15-20 minutes are gripping or show promise and then the storytellers drop the ball and the movie never recovers. Many roles are miscast. It's not just Hollywood.

Sometimes I wonder what happens to promising young actors who mature and then can't seem to find a decent role, ever again.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 10:36 pm

I just got back from the worst movie theater experience ever!

So I decided to try this Cinema Grill that's down the street from my house and went to a matinee showing of The Muppets. I figure that I enjoyed the Drafthouse Cinema Grill that I went to when I was vacationing in Texas so why not? I tell you why not? It's the curse of seeing a family movie during a weekend matinee!

Two tables a way from me there are a couple of families with small kids. One of the little kids spent most of the movie screaming. Some other kids were spending alot of time running around the aisles and table and climbing on top of chairs and stuff getting real close to me than I wanted. The moms were just laying back not caring for squat. I wanted to leave and move to the back of the theater but couldn't do so until my food bill was paid up and the lady took longer bringing back the bill than she did getting me my food. When I finally got my bill paid I moved to the back of the theater. If I ever do go back to that Cinema Grill (I doubt it) and if it's for a family flick, I will wait for everyone else to seat and then find the quietest unoccupied area to sit. I was the first one seated for this showing and I had no idea that would do worse for me.

Also, being an adult going to see family flicks on a weekend matinee is something I keep abusing myself with and I don't know why. From now on, it's late weekday night showings all the way!

But the experience was pretty bad (the movie wasn't all that great either), that I might lose all interest in going to the movies in theaters ever again unless I know it will be dead and kid free.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 4:35 am

Have you considered independent or foreign films?

And half the time, Hollywood is really Vancouver.

Az29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2011, 4:45 am

I'm sick of all the re-makes and of course the stealing classic foreign films and giving them an american make over (ring and grudge anyone?).

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 5:43 am

Az29 wrote:
I'm sick of all the re-makes and of course the stealing classic foreign films and giving them an american make over (ring and grudge anyone?).

Seconded, the likes of The Warriors, Akira, Robocop and even the Crow are getting the remake treatment, IT MAKES ME MAD!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

nikki191
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2011, 7:19 am

Az29 wrote:

I will never forgive Hollywood for taking the amazing norwegian film Ofelaš based on a 1000 year old lapp tale and turning in to that piece of crap action film Pathfinder..it has litterally nothing to do with the original

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2011, 6:36 am

Hollywood has run out of original ideas, a re-make isn't even a re-make anymore they have to put a marketing lingo twist on it like "re-boot" or "re-imagining"..... C'mon guys, it's a friggin re-make, you're just pissin all over somebody else's work and calling it your own.

Hollywood isn't about art or creativity, it's about selling a product, a cheap, watered down product.
I haven't walked into a theater in over 3 years. I just wait for something to come out on netflix, that's all those movies are worth. They are certainly not worth 10 or more dollars to see. Even on netflix, I find myself watching independent films or documentaries most of the time. I've lost interest in the big blockbusters.

Also, the legal escapades of the MPAA & RIAA don't help. I'm with the OP on this one any business that resorts to legal bullying to gain profits doesn't deserve my money. Anyway most of this schlock isn't even worth the trouble to download illegally.

Diagnosed in 2005