ASPERGERS IS a PROBLEM in this NT WORLD

Page 1 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Panic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Nov 2011, 1:50 am

Why doesn't anyone seem to acknowledge this? Not aspies and not even NTs? There is barley any understanding and treatment of Autism other then forcing the a child to keep on doing things NT kids do, there is no adult medicine or treatment!

This is a nightmare!

Then im going to hear the whole aspie shenanagin responses

"its good to be different"

"aspies are smart too!"

and other useless cliches

To have a life you have to have a JOB that PAYS THE BILLS this = REALITY

Most NTs do this at a young age socialize get connections networks and GET JOBS and MONEY and can socialize and communicate with their fellow co-workers, as an aspie working in a :idea: NT workplace it can be VERY CONFUSING...VERY CONFUSING

Ive worked in Hotels, fast food and a few other jobs, if you dont fit in your INSTANTLY OUTCASTED,

EVOLUTION= REALITY

EVOLUTION= Socializing homo -sapiens

In the wild, if you are outcasted you have a much bigger chance of dieing, being eaten or killed.

Now its time to hear the opposing side of " im doing fine an I have AS, sure i dont have a job or stable relationships, but Im fine being consumed in my special interest"

I want there to be some sort of help for aspie people, not support groups, but actual treatment, that makes a real change, because it seems so far the only way to treat AS is to eliminate the gene, and There are many aspie people out there who only care about themselves and their desire to have a child, where this child is born into the world with AS and they have to now go through intolerable symptoms because their parents felt like reproducing.

and no God did not make you born with AS "for a reason." people are born with genetic defects,, no divine reason intended, just faulty genetics.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 1:54 am

Nah. You got it backwards.

NT is a problem in my Aspie world! :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Panic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Nov 2011, 1:56 am

MrXxx wrote:

:x

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 2:07 am

Me, I'm hoping to just get into the lucky 1% of Aspie success stories like Nikola Tesla or something like that. Shoot for the moon and hope you land among the stars? Eh? Maybe the strategy of consuming with special interests there?

Last edited by 1000Knives on 07 Nov 2011, 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 2:09 am

I must be cr*p, and when I was your age I didn't have a job or girlfriend and lived at home with my Mum and I'm NT.
BTW those jobs you talk about are ones that have a reasonably high level of interpersonal skill. I think theres definately job types better suited to Aspies, e.g. I work in IT and there's a fair few I've met and worked with.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

07 Nov 2011, 2:13 am

Hmmmm.... You know, I don't think people on Wrong Planet have been saying Aspergers is a cake walk or anything. :roll:

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2011, 2:29 am

Panic wrote:
Why doesn't anyone seem to acknowledge this? Not aspies and not even NTs? There is barley any understanding and treatment of Autism other then forcing the a child to keep on doing things NT kids do, there is no adult medicine or treatment!

This is a nightmare!

Then im going to hear the whole aspie shenanagin responses

"its good to be different"

"aspies are smart too!"

and other useless cliches

So, what are we supposed to do, hide in the corner or just lay down and die? Yeah, Autism is something with no cure, but we still have lives to live. Besides, a lot of NTs have problems like drug abuse, alcoholism, cancer, depression, etc., their lives aren't perfect either. I'm just doing the best I can with what I've got…

BTW, I'm sorry, but I fail to have empathy with you… :wink:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 2:32 am

Panic wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

:x

Oh, lighten up!

First you complain that I'm being all negative (which I wasn't), and now yer all pee'd off cause I made a joke (which wasn't really a joke, it's really how I feel).

So you don't want to be happy. It doesn't mean the rest of us all have to join the pity party.

Moving on now...

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Tsela
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2011, 2:34 am

I'm an Aspie (now officially diagnosed). I've had no support at all so far (yet, I'm starting in two weeks). That didn't prevent me from getting a stable relationship (I've been married for nearly 5 years, we've been more than 12 years together, and he's NT) or a stable job (I've had one for nearly 6 years now).

Sure, it's hard. Until this job I had not been able to keep a job for more than 2 years (and I now recognise my autism was the main cause of the problem). And we've had our ups and downs in my relationship (but then, which relationship doesn't have those?). There are many things I can't cope with, and it's definitely put some limits on what I can do with my career (which is fine, since I'm not planning on becoming the director of this company!). That's why I've pushed to get an official diagnosis (my company recognises Autism as a disability and provides support for those who need it) and I want to get help now, so as to ease up things as much as it can be done.

So Autism is not an unassailable barrier that makes any normal life impossible! Rather than focussing on your limitations, you should rather focus on what you can do well, and run with that! As you said, there is no treatment right now, so no point in moaning about that fact, as it won't change a thing. Do what you can with what you have. And if you stopped looking only at the things you cannot do, you'd quickly see that you have a lot already.

It will be hard. Sometimes it'll feel intolerable. Still, that's how things are. Unless you have the knowledge and ability to change it (develop a "cure", if you really believe such a thing is even possible), you'll have to make the best out of the situation. There are plenty of areas where Autism won't prevent you from getting a job or keeping it.

Oh, and feeling sorry for yourself won't help a bit. I should know, I tried it too.

http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/
http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 4:40 am

If I remember correctly, if put in the right enviroment aspies can thrive. The trouble is trying to find this enviroment. Some people know what they what to be right from when they are born, some only find what they truly love when they are 40. If your skill earns you money, you have the bonus of doing something you love and earning money at the same time. I agree with Tsela, look at what you are good at and go with it!

sMeow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2011, 4:56 am

So all Aspies want to work in a restaurant or something with high-relationship ? Nah, sorry. A lot of Aspies are interested in programmation, science, things like that... it's not so hard to find a job with low-relationship, but obviously, if you want to work in a restaurant...

Being an Aspie is a problem for you. For others, it can be an advantage or at least don't really annoy them, this is reality.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Nov 2011, 5:02 am

Life is not a walk in the park for me because of any of my disabilities - which includes being on the autistic spectrum.

You sound like you're hurting a lot and need help. You sound like your depression and anger are still a huge part of your difficulties.

I don't see how this has anything to do with anyone else who doesn't feel the same about their autism as you feel about yours.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 5:25 am

Panic wrote:
I want there to be some sort of help for aspie people, not support groups, but actual treatment, that makes a real change, because it seems so far the only way to treat AS is to eliminate the gene, and There are many aspie people out there who only care about themselves and their desire to have a child, where this child is born into the world with AS and they have to now go through intolerable symptoms because their parents felt like reproducing.

and no God did not make you born with AS "for a reason." people are born with genetic defects,, no divine reason intended, just faulty genetics.

So AS is a problem for you. But I think it's important to understand that they key phrase is for you

If you wish to make some real changes in your life concerning that which pertains to AS, perhaps I can help you. What is it about you specifically that you want to change? What things would you like to be easy to you that you feel having AS makes difficult?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 6:43 am

AS is a challenge, not a problem.
also, the problem is not that we are AS, it's that the NT world is generally intolerant of our differences.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 6:50 am

Obviously functioning levels contribute to successful integration in an Nt world

Actually, many HFA succeed better than NT if family support is good

Hybrids have more arrows in their quiver. Many sports stars(esp star quarter backs) are HFA

Sitting around making chit chat, and picking up bedmates in bars is no measure of success

Last edited by Surfman on 07 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 7:17 am

That's where you and I are different. We have different opinions about this matter. I hope that there's never a cure for ASDs. It's the NTs in my world who have the problem, not me. I think that you need to get help for your depression. Autism Speaks does not speak for me, and for those of you who attack me in this thread, you will never break my spirit. :)