Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2011, 11:38 am

Anyone else here work Pizza delivery? It's a great job for higher functioning people with AS. I can live off of it thanks to the tips. The mangers are understanding of how I'm not the fastest at food prep. I only interact briefly with customers. I'm often alone in my car.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 12:07 pm

I did pizza delivery this Summer, am slowing down on it now.

I had trouble reading street addresses (or the absence thereof!) at night. My AT&T reception on iphones, well, google maps were great when I had reception, but when it spotty, a major frustration.

The IRS gives 55 cents a mile for tax deduction and there not doing you any favor. For wear and tear on the vehicle, future maintenance, loss of resell value, that pretty much is the actual cost of mileage.

I go fast, still safe on the main roads. A steady eddie in the neighborhoods.

It seemed like the secret was double and triples (that is, runs with multiple orders)

Look, a number of nights I made 45, 50 dollars, no more. Subtracting out vehicle usage, I figure I netted about $25 (yes, twenty five dollars net for the night). If your experience was more positive, more power to you.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm

My fiance delivered pizza on and off for many years. He made surprisingly good money. I would suck at it, because I get lost very easily and my night vision is completely shot as well.

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2011, 6:24 pm

Delivering at night is terrible. Every job has its downsides.

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2011, 3:13 pm

By the way, I live in a town with a college of 44,000 students, so my deliveries are super close. I get $1.00 compensation per delivery, which is enough. Living in a college town actual helps to make money delivering pizzas.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 8:55 pm

My dad delivered pizzas for Dominos back in the late 80s as a second job to help pay off some bills. He says it's a very fast-paced job.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:36 pm

I used to deliver pizza, it pretty fun, and everyone is happy to see you.

Sometimes girls in lingerie answer the door. But they just want free pizza...

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2011, 10:57 pm

shrox wrote:

If that happened, I would pass out from shock.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 11:21 pm

I'm currently doing very long driving work delivering stuff like car parts. I mean way up and down New England or Canada. I think about going back to school and something like Pizza Delivery might be a good job that is more local. I've also kind of looked at driving Taxi.

One thing I hear though is that supposedly, maybe in rougher towns, Taxi Drivers or Pizza Guys might get robbed. I'm just wondering if you guys ever felt there was a safety concern like that? Or most likely being in the right place delivering to hungry college kids is more safe as well as a way to keep more steady orders. Maybe the pizza guy getting mugged is just an over blown story I shouldn't worry about so much?

I'm kind of intrigued to hear you can do well if you're in the right location to. I'm looking hard at a trade school program next year and I will really consider this while going to school.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 1:31 am

It's terrible if you got NVLD. I navigate worse than James May, so I got lost like crazy, was late, etc. Also, my restaurant was entirely dysfunctional, and I had to wash dishes, interact with customers, go on errand runs, wash tables, do everything, and deliver food too. For $6 an hour plus tips. Didn't last long. With a GPS, it was manageable, but without, couldn't do it.

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Nov 2011, 2:21 am

kingtut3 wrote:
shrox wrote:

Sounds like the plot of an adult film.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Nov 2011, 12:16 pm

alex wrote:
kingtut3 wrote:
shrox wrote:

:lol:

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

alex wrote:
kingtut3 wrote:
shrox wrote:

It's a story of disappointment actually.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 2:31 pm

At my job in Houston, Texas, I get $2 an hour plus tips.

The business charges on the receipt $1.75 for each delivery of which I get $1.25. That combined with the average tip, I make about $4.50 per delivery.

On a night where I have 9 deliveries (and some nights are less) I receive $40 cash. But keeping track of vehicle miles, I figure about twenty goes to vehicle expenses.

And so, to some extent I am making money. And to some extent I am pulling money out of my car.

This 20 dollars estimated net is for about three and a half to four hours of work (and the generous two dollars an hour of course).

(The most I made on a single night was eighty dollars of which thirty I estimated went to vehicle expenses. That is, $50 net is my best single night. So it's not a gold mine. Doubles and triples seem to be the key. Our owner may have overhired plus he doesn't have that much confidence in me because I got lost a couple of times at the beginning.)

But, I'm done much better at this job than I did at another pizza delivery job way back when I was in college. I'll accept that as a victory.

As far as safety, about a month into the job, I decided I just was not going to go to any more apartment complexes. The owner accepted this. I had felt scared and vulnerable on several occasions and I was going to trust my gut feelings. Recently, a fellow employee told me it was unfair to the other employees, and to some extent, to a considerable extent, he's right. So, I'm on my way out.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 3:13 pm

Pfft, safety smafety. If you like safety so much, why don't you marry it? OK, I'll stop the Cave Johnson thing... Anyway...

For safety, I was in Hartford CT, very high crime, doing deliveries in super rough neighborhoods. I just sorta prayed and hoped it turned out good. I never had issues in my couple weeks doing it. The most unsafe thing I ever had to do, my boss only gave me $8 petty cash, and this guy paid for his $20 or $30 meal with a 50, so I was f****d. I had to actually get this random guy, drive him in my car to the convenience store, and have him make change for a 50 and he bought some lotto tickets, too. I mean, he was an older guy, probably about 50, but it still was...yeah. My friend at the same job almost got stabbed doing a delivery. Yay... If I had to redo it over again, I'd probably carry a rather nice knife within easy reach, or at the very least pepper spray. Hartford's dangerous. But, hindsight is 20/20, and I didn't get hurt so whatever.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2011, 5:00 pm

When I want pizza I make my own, and I certainly turn my nose up at the overpriced, unhealthy muck purveyed by the local fast food joints. If I was to take a driving job, it'd be longer distances and fewer drunk people.

Pizza delivery seems a popular employment choice for kids with 50cc mopeds and L (learner) plates. None of whom know how to ride, but will happily harass my car if it's in their way. Don't do that. (a) I have getting on for a million miles experience and know more about driving than you and am observing the speed limit for a reason, (b) my vehicle weighs over a tonne, you weigh nothing so we know who's coming off worse if we meet, (c) if you come along side making obscene gestures because I'm in your way, I can wipe you out with barely a touch. Maybe some pizzas are worth dying for, their deliverers certainly ride like that.

I'm not going to ask if their mopeds are insured for business use...