sexual abuse, Penn State, Catholic Church, same pattern

Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

jojobean wrote:
. . . sometimes police can be useless when it comes to sexual abuse/rape cases. My mom was raped multiple times, and the police just told her it was in her head. . .

I am sorry this happened to your mother. And I'm sorry the police were so lousy in response.

The police trying to avoid case load, any extra case load, is a big aspect. Plus, I think they very stupidly, very dismissively classify some cases as 'weak' cases. That is, they pre-judge how a jury might view it. Well, a jury might be a little quicker on the uptake than the officer gives them credit for. And the officer is very much afraid of being criticized by other officers, for really, a case that's different or a claimant who is different in any way.

When really, if we were a truly civilized society, the police would be in the business of protecting people who are different, as well as people in general, but especially people who are potentially vulnerable.

It's possible different men with a predatorial mindset targeted your mother because she was different and thus more vulnerable. It's equally likely, since I've read that 1 out of 7 women will be raped at some point in their life, then it follows 1 out of 49 women will be raped twice, 1 out of 343, raped three times, etc, just from plain bad luck, no further explanation necessary. This is terrible and obviously we as a society should do much, much better. If the figure is 1 of 10, then 1 out of 1,000 women will be raped three times, again just from plain old bad luck, no psychological explanation specific to the individual necessary, which I think we tend to overdo in any regard. We should do far better, probably starting with how we socialize boys in childhood and adolescence.

=====================

There is a way to "game" the police, although it should not be necessary, and that is to go in with an advocate.

If the person walks in with their minister, or their older sister, or a former boss, etc, . . . the officer talking the person into withdrawing the complaint, that's now off the table. The officer is likely to intake the complaint in a professional manner. Now, whether they'll follow up is another matter, but at least that first step is completed.

And again, obviously, should not be this way. Whether a person has an advocate with them or not, the police should treat them with respect.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 4:38 pm

jojobean wrote:
raisedbyignorance wrote:
Did you guys hear about the girl who tweeted about how she was sexually abused before killing herself? She also tweeted that she had gone to the police but they said there wasn't enough evidence to convict. Yeah, the incompetence to address sexual abuse and help the victims goes all the way to the top.

sometimes police can be useless when it comes to sexual abuse/rape cases. My mom was raped multiple times, and the police just told her it was in her head.
I like lena bobbit's solution in situations like that.

I hate it, the girl had to die a martyr to bring awareness to the issue.

Jojo

Things like the situations above should never happen! Sorry Jojo....you're mom went through something so horrible & life changing. The police are not always educated enough either. Anyone, especially those who take an oath to protect, to deny sexual abuse or rape, is just as sick as the perpetrator(s). Some are misogynists who hate women, some just don't know any better (poor excuse because there's many resources for education), some are just plain lazy & don't want to do the necesssary paperwork or follow-ups. They'll blame the economy though & say there's not enough money to persue an investigation.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
. . . I had to put an end to it at the age of 12 with no help from any living human being. . .
That is amazing and good for you! That shows a lot of heart and a lot of spirit on your part.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 4:51 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:
. . . I had to put an end to it at the age of 12 with no help from any living human being. . .
That is amazing and good for you! That shows a lot of heart and a lot of spirit on your part.

Thanks Aardvark. By the age of 12, I was just disgusted by his behavior. I never enjoyed his "affections," though if he were asked, I know he'd say otherwise. I craved acceptance & affection from someone/anyone, because I wasn't getting it from anyone. Molestation was not part of what I wanted. I also didn't want it from him...well into his 40s or maybe even older. It was gross! All I wanted was for someone to like me as a human being & treat me as such.

These kids that Sandusky is accused of sexual deviance were probably looking for someone to like them too. It's an all too common theme for child sexual predators.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 11:46 pm

jojobean wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Human beings need illusion, without it there is no safe place in the world or one's self. Anyone who thinks they are immune to illusion, at least if they are mentally healthy, is likely mistaken.

Human Beings are weighed down by illusion. If not by the individual making the illusion than society itself is negatively affected by lies that help people get rthrough the day. The blood and misery caused by the existence of illusions protected by zealots is uncountable. Nationalism, violent religion, eugenics, political ideologies. They have murdered billions. All illusions that people accept amount to the muffling of reason and the endangering of people.

It's the way the brain normally works. In the abscence of any cultural beliefs the mind creates illusion to predict and shape a reality based on past experience. If one is accustomed to seeing a bear in the woods, they are likely to see a black dog passing quickly through the woods as a bear instead of a dog. It's of evolutionary value, because in the real woods, discerning danger quickly is the difference between life and death.

Add in complex culture and one gets all kind of interesting result

The only way to ensure that humans would not murder billions because of the propensity of humans to predict and shape their reality as an illusion based on experience, would be to put them back in the woods, without technology, in small hunter and gatherer groups.

The pandora box of culture has been opened. That's not likely going to happen, barring some type of apocalyptic circumstance.

It has been shown from scientific research that a very small percentage of human beings with mental disorders, do not see illusion; some of these individuals have an extremely hard time finding order in the world.

Illusion has it's good points and bad points.

The Penn State incident is one of the more obvious bad points.

what mental disorder causes stark reality??

Inuyasha, I will look into your link,

Jojo

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/schizoillusion/

Quote:
Schizophrenia sufferers aren’t fooled by an optical illusion known as the “hollow mask” that the rest of us fall for because connections between the sensory and conceptual areas of their brains might be on the fritz.

In the hollow mask illusion, viewers perceive a concave face (like the back side of a hollow mask) as a normal convex face. The illusion exploits our brain’s strategy for making sense of the visual world: uniting what it actually sees — known as bottom-up processing — with what it expects to see based on prior experience — known as top-down processing.

"Our top-down processing holds memories, like stock models," explains Danai Dima of Hannover Medical University, in Germany, co-author of a study in NeuroImage. "All the models in our head have a face coming out, so whenever we see a face, of course if has to come out."

This powerful expectation overrides visual cues, like shadows and depth information, that indicate anything to the contrary.

But patients with schizophrenia are undeterred by implausibility: They see the hollow face for what it is. About seven out of 1000 Americans suffer from the disease, which is characterized by hallucinations, delusions, and poor planning. Some psychologists believe this dissociation from reality may result from an imbalance between bottom-up and top-down processing — a hypothesis ripe for testing using the hollow mask illusion

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 12:42 am

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Human beings need illusion, without it there is no safe place in the world or one's self. Anyone who thinks they are immune to illusion, at least if they are mentally healthy, is likely mistaken.

Human Beings are weighed down by illusion. If not by the individual making the illusion than society itself is negatively affected by lies that help people get rthrough the day. The blood and misery caused by the existence of illusions protected by zealots is uncountable. Nationalism, violent religion, eugenics, political ideologies. They have murdered billions. All illusions that people accept amount to the muffling of reason and the endangering of people.

It's the way the brain normally works. In the abscence of any cultural beliefs the mind creates illusion to predict and shape a reality based on past experience.
No, when somebody is confronted with a new phenomenon they attempt to interpret it. Whether they interpret correctly depends on how much thought they are willing to put in to things.

aghogday wrote:
If one is accustomed to seeing a bear in the woods, they are likely to see a black dog passing quickly through the woods as a bear instead of a dog. It's of evolutionary value, because in the real woods, discerning danger quickly is the difference between life and death.
Illusion and hallucination are not the same phenomenon. Furthermore illusion in belief and illusion in the senses are not the same either.

aghogday wrote:
Add in complex culture and one gets all kind of interesting results.
You're forgetting about confirmation bias, pride and a will to dominate or explain the world in a tawdry way to fill the gaps.

aghogday wrote:
The only way to ensure that humans would not murder billions because of the propensity of humans to predict and shape their reality as an illusion based on experience, would be to put them back in the woods, without technology, in small hunter and gatherer groups.
Not really. if anything at this current time in history the murder rate is much lower than in a hunter-gatherer society, a society that was known for bloody murder, cult violence and miniature genocides all the time.

aghogday wrote:
The pandora box of culture has been opened.
I am sorry but culture does not shape people to such a degree that they will always ever bloodily murder everyone for the rest of time because this particular god or that particular god said so, and the only person who would believe otherwise needs to read a history book and look up ancient religions.

aghogday wrote:
some of these individuals have an extremely hard time finding order in the world.
Really? I don't believe this but anyways: THe reason why people who make cultural illusions find order is because people who make illusions make up order, a delusional order not based on fact and thus they are in many ways dangerous, as any simple gander at politics and anthropology can prove.

aghogday wrote:
The Penn State incident is one of the more obvious bad points.
No, the penn state incident is an obvious and relatively mild cost of cultural illusion, a damning and fatal weakness of human kind.

For Humans, the present and future and the decisions they make are determined by their past experiences. Per scientific research, when an individual can no longer retain or retrieve memories, they no longer can make decisions. And, emotion is at the base of most human decisions; research shows that those with brain injuries that completely lose their ability to feel emotions, lose the ability to make any decisions, at all, as well.

Mistaking a bear for a large black dog running through the woods, based on what one expects to see from past experience, is a visual illusion not an hallucination, research I presented in the last post about the hollow mask illusion explains this in detail.

The only way billions of humans are going to be murdered by man would be nuclear annihilation; that would come as a result of modern culture. In 1350 there were about 370 million people in the entire world. In 1920 about 2 billion. This billions of human beings thing is a relatively new phenomenon, that started in the last couple of centuries.

That nuclear potential is part of the pandora box of modern culture. The only way to eliminate this potential would be to eliminate modern culture, putting humans back at their primitive state; that's not likely unless some type of apocalypse happens.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 6:00 am

aghogday wrote:

Jojo

Quote:
Schizophrenia sufferers aren’t fooled by an optical illusion known as the “hollow mask” that the rest of us fall for because connections between the sensory and conceptual areas of their brains might be on the fritz.

In the hollow mask illusion, viewers perceive a concave face (like the back side of a hollow mask) as a normal convex face. The illusion exploits our brain’s strategy for making sense of the visual world: uniting what it actually sees — known as bottom-up processing — with what it expects to see based on prior experience — known as top-down processing.

"Our top-down processing holds memories, like stock models," explains Danai Dima of Hannover Medical University, in Germany, co-author of a study in NeuroImage. "All the models in our head have a face coming out, so whenever we see a face, of course if has to come out."

This powerful expectation overrides visual cues, like shadows and depth information, that indicate anything to the contrary.

But patients with schizophrenia are undeterred by implausibility: They see the hollow face for what it is. About seven out of 1000 Americans suffer from the disease, [b]which is characterized by hallucinations, delusions, and poor planning. Some psychologists believe this dissociation from reality may result from an imbalance between bottom-up and top-down processing — a hypothesis ripe for testing using the hollow mask illusion[/b]

You are trying to equate illusions of the senses with cultural illusions again and it's failing. You cannot seem to understand the fact that cultural and social illusions are dangerous, but you instead attempt to keep trying to push in sensory illusions as equivalent. Even then it shows up as laughable because despite your talking of schizophrenics as if they have no illusions it shows up how many kinds of illusion they have.

Even more damning is the fact that you ignore this tidbit
Wired wrote:
Schizophrenics aren’t the only ones who see the concave face — people who are drunk or high can also ‘beat’ the illusion. A similar disconnect between what the brain sees and what it expects to see may be occurring during these drug-induced states.

So essentially it further distances the fact between illusions of thought and illusions of sense by showing that people who have illusions of thought about emotions and generally ideas may not have an illusion of sense.

All it proved is that during light conditions that seemed to imply a convex face schizophrenics saw a concave face. This has nothing to do with cultural illusion, and that becomes clear when they talk about delusions in schizophrenics and so forth.

Furthermore the lack of this load of crap having any scientific value can be showed by the comments below:

Sauroth wrote:
I am a schizo, I see it as convex. I seriously doubt this is an even slightly reliable test, then again maybe aliens really are reading my brain waves.

refreshbot wrote:
This information has absolutley no scientific value. It's just another example of Psychology masquerading as sceince in order to propogate the kind of dogma that causes people out there to feel like they need to pay an "expert" to help them deal with the fearful state of uncertainty that he/she has been gamed into accepting.

Brian_Burwell wrote:
So if you see the back of the mask, you are crazy? Interesting. I was able to force myself to see the "other" face; now I can see both. What does that make me?

And the fact is that after that the number of people who talk about whether they are schizo or not is 50/50, not 1-3%.

Last edited by Gedrene on 18 Nov 2011, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 6:10 am

aghogday wrote:
The only way billions of humans are going to be murdered by man would be nuclear annihilation; that would come as a result of modern culture. In 1350 there were about 370 million people in the entire world. In 1920 about 2 billion. This billions of human beings thing is a relatively new phenomenon, that started in the last couple of centuries.
Wrooong. You are again completely ignoring the danger of cultural and social illusions that I have brought uop cause untold pain and suffering. I also said millions. Stop trying to use base appeals to emotion by throwing in nukes. We have already seen the heartrending pain caused by delusions to one aspie on this thread, and may others we shall see besides. THere is no good about these kinds of illusions. Give up aghogday. You are defending an immoral position.

tomboy4good wrote:
I was a victim of illusion. My mother always said she was perfect in every way (her illusion). It went so far that she made sure to keep me quiet when she suspected I was being molested by a friend of my parents. Keeping quiet meant mom's illusion would stay intact. That her life wouldn't be shattered or dragged into a messy reality of court dates. It ensured that no one would know about the abuse at home or the molestation at their friends' house. There was no investigation, no court hearings or trials...I kept my silence, & the statute of limitations has long since expired. I did hear that there were rumors he had molested at least one other young girl. I was too fearful to tell the truth to anyone because I thought no one would believe me. Later, when I finally did have enough courage to tell her, she called me a liar. I was a liar until the day she died

Your defense aghogday was of an evil idea.

Last edited by Gedrene on 18 Nov 2011, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 10:53 am

Gedrene wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:
I was a victim of illusion. My mother always said she was perfect in every way (her illusion). It went so far that she made sure to keep me quiet when she suspected I was being molested by a friend of my parents. Keeping quiet meant mom's illusion would stay intact. That her life wouldn't be shattered or dragged into a messy reality of court dates. It ensured that no one would know about the abuse at home or the molestation at their friends' house. There was no investigation, no court hearings or trials...I kept my silence, & the statute of limitations has long since expired. I did hear that there were rumors he had molested at least one other young girl. I was too fearful to tell the truth to anyone because I thought no one would believe me. Later, when I finally did have enough courage to tell her, she called me a liar. I was a liar until the day she died

Your defense was of an evil idea.

Would you please elaborate on your comment, Gedrene? I'm not sure what you mean.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

tomboy4good wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:

Your defense was of an evil idea.

Would you please elaborate on your comment, Gedrene? I'm not sure what you mean.

No no! It was aimed at aghogday. I was saying that it was evil to defend social illusion and try and confuse it with sensory illusion because it caused such pain to you.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:26 am

Gedrene wrote:
No no! It was aimed at aghogday. I was saying that it was evil to defend social illusion and try and confuse it with sensory illusion because it caused such pain to you.

No harm done. I was only trying to figure out what your statement meant. Thank you for clarifying it.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Wrooong. You are again completely ignoring the danger of cultural and social illusions that I have brought uop cause untold pain and suffering. I also said millions. Stop trying to use base appeals to emotion by throwing in nukes. We have already seen the heartrending pain caused by delusions to one aspie on this thread, and may others we shall see besides. THere is no good about these kinds of illusions. Give up aghogday. You are defending an immoral position.

tomboy4good wrote:

Your defense aghogday was of an evil idea.

Gedrene Wrote:
Quote:
They have murdered billions. All illusions that people accept amount to the muffling of reason and the endangering of people.

Maybe you meant to say millions but you said billions.

Being able to discern danger in the woods through top down processing is an evolutionary advantage created by the ability of human beings to see what they expect to see quickly with not thought required. It's an illusion but one that has in part allowed human beings to survive through thousands of years.

There is no evidence of guarantees in life, but the illusion that there is order in life for positive outcomes, is a positive benefit of the human ability to see illusion in the place of stark chaotic reality. When illusion leads to someone being harmed that is never a good thing, and I have never defended that. As with most everything in life, there are pros and cons about human nature, some of which are good, and some of which lead to horrible things for people, that there is no defense for.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

aghogday wrote:
Being able to discern danger in the woods through top down processing is an evolutionary advantage created by the ability of human beings to see what they expect to see quickly with not thought required. It's an illusion but one that has in part allowed human beings to survive through thousands of years.
And now you're using argumentum ad infinitum again.
Gedrene wrote:
You are trying to equate illusions of the senses with cultural illusions again and it's failing. You cannot seem to understand the fact that cultural and social illusions are dangerous, but you instead attempt to keep trying to push in sensory illusions as equivalent.

aghogday wrote:
There is no evidence of guarantees in life, but the illusion that there is order in life for positive outcomes, is a positive benefit of the human ability to see illusion in the place of stark chaotic reality. When illusion leads to someone being harmed that is never a good thing, and I have never defended that.
No, you have tried to defend cultural illusion and you have tried to say that the only people who do not have illusions are schizophrenics, which sounds like an implicit attempt at denigration.

You have defended cultural illusion as a face of human reality not to be destroyed, and yet now you have retread to saying the affir was terrible and all this ONLY AFTER we hear two heartrending stories about the danger of cultural and social illusion, of illusion in general.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 4:59 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Jojo

Quote:

But patients with schizophrenia are undeterred by implausibility: They see the hollow face for what it is. About seven out of 1000 Americans suffer from the disease, [b]which is characterized by hallucinations, delusions, and poor planning. Some psychologists believe this dissociation from reality may result from an imbalance between bottom-up and top-down processing — a hypothesis ripe for testing using the hollow mask illusion[/b]

You are trying to equate illusions of the senses with cultural illusions again and it's failing. You cannot seem to understand the fact that cultural and social illusions are dangerous, but you instead attempt to keep trying to push in sensory illusions as equivalent. Even then it shows up as laughable because despite your talking of schizophrenics as if they have no illusions it shows up how many kinds of illusion they have.

Even more damning is the fact that you ignore this tidbit
Wired wrote:
Schizophrenics aren’t the only ones who see the concave face — people who are drunk or high can also ‘beat’ the illusion. A similar disconnect between what the brain sees and what it expects to see may be occurring during these drug-induced states.

So essentially it further distances the fact between illusions of thought and illusions of sense by showing that people who have illusions of thought about emotions and generally ideas may not have an illusion of sense.

All it proved is that during light conditions that seemed to imply a convex face schizophrenics saw a concave face. This has nothing to do with cultural illusion, and that becomes clear when they talk about delusions in schizophrenics and so forth.

Furthermore the lack of this load of crap having any scientific value can be showed by the comments below:

Sauroth wrote:
I am a schizo, I see it as convex. I seriously doubt this is an even slightly reliable test, then again maybe aliens really are reading my brain waves.

refreshbot wrote:
This information has absolutley no scientific value. It's just another example of Psychology masquerading as sceince in order to propogate the kind of dogma that causes people out there to feel like they need to pay an "expert" to help them deal with the fearful state of uncertainty that he/she has been gamed into accepting.

Brian_Burwell wrote:
So if you see the back of the mask, you are crazy? Interesting. I was able to force myself to see the "other" face; now I can see both. What does that make me?

And the fact is that after that the number of people who talk about whether they are schizo or not is 50/50, not 1-3%.

I never said this example was of not being able to process cultural illusion; there are obviously many types of illusions in life other than visual illusions. However the researchers do suggest that in schizophrenics this may be caused by a problem in top-down processing that creates cognitive problems as well for schizophrenics.

The comments are by a bunch of anonymous folks on the internet; they can respond any way they like, but their responses are not representative of the scientists doing the actual research.

There is also evidence that a certain percentage of autistic people cannot see the illusion as well in other research associated with autism.

Not seeing the illusion is not a test for schizophrenia, but it may be caused by differences in the structure of the brain related to schizophrenia, as well as the differences in the structure of the brain of some autistic people.

The test was presented here on this site, and a small percentage of autistic people could not see the illusion. It is suggested that it may be associated with faceblindness in autism and schizophrenia.

I have no idea where you get the idea that 50 percent of people talk about whether they are schizo or not; any research to back up that opinion? Close to 1 percent of the population is diagnosed with schizophrenia. I'm not sure where you are getting the 1 to 3 percent with schizophrenics, that percentage was quoted earlier for socio-paths not schizophrenics. This research states 7 out of 1000, which is close to 1 percent.

Taking drugs affects everything from motor control, senses, thoughts, inhibitions, emotions, logic etc. It's not surprising that the top down processing function of the brain would be interupted by alcohol or drugs and this would impact the ability to see visual illusion.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
And now you're using argumentum ad infinitum again.
Gedrene wrote:
You are trying to equate illusions of the senses with cultural illusions again and it's failing. You cannot seem to understand the fact that cultural and social illusions are dangerous, but you instead attempt to keep trying to push in sensory illusions as equivalent.

aghogday wrote:
There is no evidence of guarantees in life, but the illusion that there is order in life for positive outcomes, is a positive benefit of the human ability to see illusion in the place of stark chaotic reality. When illusion leads to someone being harmed that is never a good thing, and I have never defended that.
No, you have tried to defend cultural illusion and you have tried to say that the only people who do not have illusions are schizophrenics, which sounds like an implicit attempt at denigration.

You have defended cultural illusion as a face of human reality not to be destroyed, and yet now you have retread to saying the affir was terrible and all this ONLY AFTER we hear two heartrending stories about the danger of cultural and social illusion, of illusion in general.

I never said the only people who don't see visual illusions are schizophrenics, I presented an article that suggested that schizophrenics don't see a visual illusion in the way others do. The article clearly showed that drugs and alcohol can influence this, and there is other research that shows that some autistic people cannot see the illusion as well, which may be associated with faceblindness, seen in some autistic people.

I stated from the very beginning that the cultural illusion surrounding Penn State was obviously a bad point of human succeptibility to illusion, you suggested it was a mild one compared to other things. All human illusions are not bad, this is not a black and white issue.

Visual illusion and the ability to process the world in ways that meet our expectations are of evolutionary advantage for survival. Cultural illusions that provide survival value are good and cultural illusions that lead to harm are bad. I made that clear. I also made it clear that the cultural illusion associated with Penn State was bad and have never suggested that any bad thing that results from human illusions are a good thing.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 5:32 pm

aghogday wrote:
I never said this example was of not being able to process cultural illusion; there are obviously many types of illusions in life other than visual illusions. However the researchers do suggest that in schizophrenics this may be caused by a problem in top-down processing that creates cognitive problems as well for schizophrenics.
Then why did you talk about it when we were talking about cultural illusion? Seems you're backpedalling.

aghogday wrote:
The comments are by a bunch of anonymous folks on the internet; they can respond any way they like, but their responses are not representative of the scientists doing the actual research.
Their responses instantly bring the idea in to disrepute by their mixed responses and questions. It shows that the whole system is based on a flawed premise.

aghogday wrote:
I have no idea where you get the idea that 50 percent of people talk about whether they are schizo or not; any research to back up that opinion?

You aren't looking properly at what I said:
aghogday wrote:
According to the comments below about who sees concave and who sees convex it is about 50/50 in the comments below.

aghogday wrote:
Close to 1 percent of the population is diagnosed with schizophrenia. I'm not sure where you are getting the 1 to 3 percent with schizophrenics, that percentage was quoted earlier for socio-paths not schizophrenics. This research states 7 out of 1000, which is close to 1 percent.
Don't be pedantic. I still got 1% didn't I?

aghogday wrote:
There is also evidence that a certain percentage of autistic people cannot see the illusion as well in other research associated with autism.
Ah, here we go. Why is it you say they cannot see the illusion? That makes it sound like a bad thing.

Even more stupid is that the article says that schizophrenics don't see the illusion because they do not have increased brain activity. That is a hilariously flawed idea. It could also mean that they simply do not register a face, convex or concave. The fact that those who talk about seeing concave and convex, or seeing both, shows that the scientists have come to an illogical conclusion.