Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

pirate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Nov 2011, 9:13 am

I've wanted to work at a liquor store for a long time and it finally happened. After a year of handing in resumes all over the joint and struggling to get a reply, I simply gave this place a phone call and found my way through the door. 5 days later I was working my first shift. For the record, I'm a 21 year old male aspie who also has adhd. I've been suffering depression on and off for for about 3 years, and I recently went through a really bad spell after a relationship broke up. Its only been in the last couple weeks that I've found any normality return to my life, and to find myself through the door so easily in a new and decent job (compared to the house cleaning business I've been working for) is kind of surreal. Now as was the case when I first started working my other job, I've got a fairly decent amount of underlying insecurity about how far I'll be able to go with this job, how competent I'll be, whether my wierd aspergers traits will f**k it up, etc etc.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prolong this job? I haven't had much work experience and haven't worked in a long time (except until recently, I got my other job about 3 months ago). I've worked 4 shifts now and most went ok but I made a lot of mistakes on my second shift as it was a really busy night (its very busy this time of year, our little beach side town gets lots of tourists and that's on top of all the alcohol that our residents drink).

I don;t really know what I'm asking, its late and I'm tired. Any thoughts would be appreciated it.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 9:31 am

Study up on the inventory, abide by all rules and regulations, and just be friendly. I ran the liquor store a few times when I worked at Neighborhood Market. I'm pretty sure people are going to have questions like "Do you carry this?", and sometimes it can be some rare exotic product. Watch out for the drunks and hobos.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 1:51 pm

1) Card em, card em, CARD EM! Too many clerks have lost their jobs for selling someone underage alcohol. If anyone complains, just say it's policy to card everyone, with no apologies.

2) Slow down. Mistakes are easiest to make when you're rushing to finish something, especially when someones waiting for you and there's a long line. But if you need to be sure you're doing it right, they can wait.

3) Learn your products. You don't have to be a drinker to know drinks. And when you can give good advice about wines or chat about mixed drinks with college girls, the job becomes a bit more fun.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 3:08 pm

Don't sample the goods.

SoftlyStepping
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2011, 7:01 pm

Don't stress about it. You'll do fine.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 9:21 pm

shouldn't he wear a bullet proof vest and hide a shotgun under the counter too? (i'm being kinda but not really silly with this one.)

pirate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Nov 2011, 11:09 pm

thanks for the feedback.

To the last guy, if only I had a shotgun and bulletproof vest!

there's some internet based tests we have to go through which teaches us some stuff about the stock there, but I'm thinking of trying out some of the wines some time and doing some more research on the side, just to be somewhat cluey about what I'm doing.