Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 6:51 pm

My dad always loved trains! When I was growing up, he built a three level table for his collection. He had to sell it years later, but I used to buy him calendars with train pictures for a while. Then I stopped after I learned he'd sold them, not wanting to remind him of something painful. Besides, the table had been in pieces for years anyway, after he took it apart to move it from the apartment we lived in to the new house, and he never reassembled it, even when my parents split up and he got an apartment. But my memory of his love for trains lives on, and this was a cool reminder for me. I love my dad. :)

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2011, 8:56 am

I love trains, especially the comforting rocking motion and the constant clickety-click sound. It is like stimming, although I don't have to feel the anxiety that comes along with thinking people are watching you. :D Wheeeee!

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

That song is awesome... I agree that its very aspie. :)

I love trains, part of what makes living in NYC so awesome.

To Quote a locally famous aspie.... "I love NYC... so many trains.... so many buses...."

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 7:49 am

No song is complete without a dubstep remix, so...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uemIOtSvJDo[/youtube]

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 7:23 am

I like trains as well. Who doesn't?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 3:24 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I like trains as well. Who doesn't?

Me. They are obsolete, overweight, and quite unhandy. All the tracks in my area, which was opened up by the railways, have now been scrapped. I would like to see light rail integrated with self-driving cars, as the express lanes.
I did have model trains as a boy. Then I switched to slot cars and custom models as a young teen. That honed the skills for my professional life. I built a velomobile from scratch.
I have enjoyed riding on trains, though. I always travel coach and pack my food. On my last ride, from Chicago to Seattle, I was reading about rural life, and watching a mouse steal my crumbs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 4:42 am

Choo Choo!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 7:44 am

This is my latest waggon. It was built up to test a theory, that I could make one without spending much money. The wheels were given to me in the past as they are plastic and people tent to pay out foe metal wheels as replacements. The axles are metal. The paint was rescued as it was the consistency of shoe dubbing. It was like a wet paste! The structure was made out of lollypop sticks and tea sturers. I have yet to add the couplings (Integrated buffer couplings built to my own design so cost very little. In all I guess the build has cost me less then 25 pence, but if I had to pay out for wheels it would be the cost of wheels and about 10 to 25 pence? It is hard to price them.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 11:51 pm

Can anyone tell me why I don't get notifications of replies any longer?

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 2:22 am

My grandson is 2 1/2 and loves trains. His eyes light up and he plays for hours and threatens to bite me (he hasn't yet) if I make him stop. So much concentration for such a young guy. He likes transporting things to line them up somewhere else. And stacking things to see if they'll fall over. Watching the train cars go down the ramps from the bridge. I've seen him take "tools" and try to "fix" them.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 6:24 am

Dear_one wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I don't get notifications of replies any longer?

No idea as I have never had them.

I can't remember what I put in the settings though.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 7:05 am

I love belko61 wrote:
My grandson is 2 1/2 and loves trains. His eyes light up and he plays for hours and threatens to bite me (he hasn't yet) if I make him stop. So much concentration for such a young guy. He likes transporting things to line them up somewhere else. And stacking things to see if they'll fall over. Watching the train cars go down the ramps from the bridge. I've seen him take "tools" and try to "fix" them.

Aww. I don't know about American sites, but I am on three British model railway sites so there are a lot he could look at even if in picture form.

AlexW89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2020, 3:47 pm

Yup! I've traveled around the country going on trains, and I model in HO as well.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 3:51 pm

Nice. I have lots of 00 in 2 and 3 rail forms (3 rail Hornby Dublo), but I am selling those slowly and concentrating on 0-16.5 7mm narrow gauge.

AlexW89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2020, 4:27 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Nice. I have lots of 00 in 2 and 3 rail forms (3 rail Hornby Dublo), but I am selling those slowly and concentrating on 0-16.5 7mm narrow gauge.

Nice! I have a general idea of what you're referring to, it's interesting how different the American and European modeling worlds are. Of course American trains are totally different too. I've noticed that a lot of Europeans like American trains, but few Americans like European trains.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 5:19 pm

AlexW89 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Nice! I have a general idea of what you're referring to, it's interesting how different the American and European modeling worlds are. Of course American trains are totally different too. I've noticed that a lot of Europeans like American trains, but few Americans like European trains.

7mm narrow gauge is known as 0-16.5 in the UK, 0e in the EU and 0n30 in the USA.
All runs on the same track width as 00 and H0.
There are other gauge widths in the 7mm scale narrow gauge realm like 0-14 (14mm gauge width... 0-16.5 is 16.5mm gauge width using 0 scale, so 0-14 uses 14mm guge width in 0 scale. 7mm narrow gauge is the same scale as 0 gauge, which is 7mm to the foot scale... 1:43).
The good thing about using 16.5mm guge width is there are so many mechanisms and wheels etc from 00 and H0 sources that it makes things a lot easier.

I hope this makes sense.

H0 is 3.5mm to the foot scale.
00 is 4mm to the foot scale. 00 width should be 18.83mm but it is a bit of an oddity. A bit of modelling history. In the USA there was 00 gauge using 19mm gauge width (Close to 18.83 and easier to work with then going for 18.83). I believe Lionel made them. The problem was that 4mm scale was a little too large for USA prototypes so they adopted 3.5mm scale on 16.5mm track instead.
Uk also wanted to use 3.5mm scale to share the same 16.5mm gauge width but the UK prototypes are smaller so back in those days, they made the bodies in 4mm scale, but had them run on the same 16.5mm track width as H0, so manufcturers like Hornby could sell UK models in the USA. Also, the larger prototypes of the USA and within the EU tended to scale down to look a similar size as the smaller UK prototypes... So it was found to be a suitable compromize.
Purists in the UK decided to re-gauge to 18mm which became known as EM gauge (4mm scale) as back in those days there needed a little tollerence for the mechanisms to work, but later finescale modellers did work to the correct 18.83mm gauge width for 4mm scale which became known as P4 (Prototype 4... (4 standing for 4mm scale)).
Now the problem was that most 4mm scale modellers ran their trains to the incorrect 16.5mm gauge track which is convenient to also run H0. As a solution, when Lima (An Italian firm now bought out by Hornby) first entered the UK market, they (Along with a few others like Fleishmann) tested the market to try to sell 3.5mm H0 scale to correct the gauge and scale issues, but when one has the exact same model in 3.5mm scale next to a 4mm scale version, it does look noticeably smaller.
Then Trix decided to compromize by making 3.8mm scale models on 16.5mm gauge track which tended to be inbetween the two so it was considered to be less noticeable to run with 00 nd H0... (Liliput took over production of Trix's 3.8mm scale models for several years around the early to mid 1970's).
The problem here in the UK is that UK modellers are stubborn and love their incorect 00 scale on 16.5mm track. So Lima gave up the British H0, and changed to 00, and Liliput eventually gave up lacking in sales, and 00 sales continue to this day.

It is a bit of a complex history.

USA 19mm gauge 00 dissapeared around the time of WW2. A friend of mine has some and they are massive compared to UK models and the die cast bodies make the locos quite heavy. I think it was a Baldwin 4-8-4. Very impressive, but I can see why they decided to use H0 instead!