Dating sites. Are they worth it?

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 7:09 am

My personal experience has been s**t. Which kinda matches my dating/hooking up experiences irl. So maybe im the problem and not the website.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 8:46 am

I know someone who met his wife on a dating site. It's all about luck with these things though.

LexF
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2011, 9:43 am

I'm on a site where there have been a number of people who got together; there have been engagements, marriages, long-term relationships, etc.

But it's rare. I don't have any real numbers here, but after 5 years on the site, I'd guess that the success rate is well below 5%.

And it seems the more mainstream you are, the better chance you've got. The success stories are inevitably about a single/divorced parent finding another single/divorced parent. So they are all older people, and already ingrained with the marriage/kids/family mindset.

For those of us who want something else, dating sites (in my experience, anyway) are a waste of time.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
MacDragard wrote:
hundreds of emails per day

lolwut

i assumed it to be true, and that i just wasn't pretty enough or thin enough or young enough to get that kind of attention. is that claim greatly exaggerated?

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 11:14 am

hyperlexian wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
MacDragard wrote:

lolwut

i assumed it to be true, and that i just wasn't pretty enough or thin enough or young enough to get that kind of attention. is that claim greatly exaggerated?

im sure theres a select few that get maybe a dozen a day, but its quite the exaggerated thought of hundreds a day. Though i ca vouch for the never recieved a message side

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

MXH wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
MacDragard wrote:

lolwut

im sure theres a select few that get maybe a dozen a day, but its quite the exaggerated thought of hundreds a day. Though i ca vouch for the never recieved a message side

ohhhh ok. i think someone on WP said she got hundreds the first day she opened her account, but i don't remember who. we mortals don't have that kind of attention!! !!

EDIT: embarrassing grammatical error.

Last edited by hyperlexian on 11 Nov 2011, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 11:33 am

Has anyone tried the aspie affection website that is advertised on every page of wrong planet?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 11:35 am

DC wrote:
Has anyone tried the aspie affection website that is advertised on every page of wrong planet?

i have heard it is quite broken. people can't log in, the site crashes, etc.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

hyperlexian wrote:
DC wrote:

Why doesn't it get fixed?

Seems to be quite a market for lonely aspies looking for love.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 11:41 am

DC wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
DC wrote:

Why doesn't it get fixed?

Seems to be quite a market for lonely aspies looking for love.

i don't knowwwwwwww. and yes that would be good. it was mostly boys on there though.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

A major hazard of online dating site is the fact that many people post old pictures. Like some from 20 years ago even!

SoftlyStepping
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2011, 6:56 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Hundreds on a weekend.

shrox wrote:
A major hazard of online dating site is the fact that many people post old pictures. Like some from 20 years ago even!

I'm doing the math. 20+20=40... So you're looking for a middle aged woman, methinks. A lot of them actually don't post pictures at all. In any case, the only concern I might have is race and morbid obesity.

Looks are overrated.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 7:08 pm

My fake_profile_for_fun (model body, high income) gets a lot of messages.

Mostly from Filipinos.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 7:16 pm

I don't quite understand AS/ASD folks like of dating sites...

...sure it's hard to meet people to 'date' but dating sites are hellish, people send you a message to say hi but it's so unnatural, there's no flow that you'd get from meeting a person in real life...let alone the connection you'd need to 'date' a person. I don't get how AS/ASD manage these sites without wanting to run and hide every time they login.

I've only ever tried dating sites once, mini mental break-down type situation after a bad break-up drove me to it, I gave up after a few days.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

SoftlyStepping
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2011, 7:18 pm

My stalkers are usually Egyptian. I have no idea why.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
I don't quite understand AS/ASD folks like of dating sites...

...sure it's hard to meet people to 'date' but dating sites are hellish, people send you a message to say hi but it's so unnatural, there's no flow that you'd get from meeting a person in real life...let alone the connection you'd need to 'date' a person. I don't get how AS/ASD manage these sites without wanting to run and hide every time they login.
I've only ever tried dating sites once, mini mental break-down type situation after a bad break-up drove me to it, I gave up after a few days.

Bloodheart, this is totally how I feel and why I think online dating did not work for me. There was a *lot* of stupid, superficial interest, but it was disheartening that no one took it at all seriously the way I did. I get it: I'm the one with the problem, but it's hard for me. I take everything seriously, it's how I'm wired. I can distance myself from it, but why bother? If you're not going to put your best foot forward, *you are wasting my time*.