How to tell the difference between a geek and Aspie ?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FuzzyChickens
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2005, 2:45 am

Can slang word even have definitions when they're not synonymns for preexisting words?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2005, 4:11 pm

Here's my thought on that:

A geek is Bill Gates, an aspie is more like Steve Jobbs.

I think more of us are much less conventional in how we display our being "geeks", usually don't dress the part, don't vibe the part, but are often times a). fundamentally very different from other people in ways that are much more straight from the center of who we are and b). our trajectory relly annoys people for reasons that are usually commended in NT's. In a sense it's the difference between being a bookworm and being the person that's too driven or who people just can't relate to. Not to say that one's mutually exclusive of the other, I just get the sense that they're more independent than most people would think.

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 13 Feb 2005, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2005, 4:13 pm

Epimonandas wrote:
Cool, then I can slice through walls with my admantium claws, or pick stuff up with my mind.

Lol, when I'm all by myself, no one is looking at me, and I have my eyes closed I'm invisible - I can just feel it :mrgreen:

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2005, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Can slang word even have definitions when they're not synonymns for preexisting words?

Oh, come on, FuzzyChickens! It's just for fun!

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2005, 4:22 pm

Bec wrote:

Oh, come on, FuzzyChickens! It's just for fun!

Fun??? You mean people actually have fun????

:lol:

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2005, 5:32 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Roumor has it, Bill Gates is an aspie.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2005, 7:45 pm

I was very geeky/nerdy in high school and hung out with all the other nerds in the multimedia classroom during lunch to work on our pet projects.

I was also a bit eccentric too since when ever I went to video tape something, I would always use the same pieces of video equipment, either the hitachi VK-C800 Saticon camera from January 1982 which was mated to a Panasonic VHS portable recorder from November 1984, or the Panasonic AG-450 S-VHS camera number #2 From April 1992. Sure there was the panasonic AG-450 #1, also from april 1992, and a panasonic AG-455U from December 1993. But if I couldn't grab the hitachi or panasonic #2, I'd be in a sulky mood for the rest of the day

I also had a large collection of dead circuit boards from various electronic devices I had collected over the years dating back to 1992. They occupied almost four large rubermaid containers. The south wall of our garage contained for sometime the rusted out transports from three VHS machines I ripped apart.

Sadly, my dad made me get rid of all that stuff. It filled up the better part of a trailer we rented to take stuff out to the landfill.

FuzzyChickens
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2005, 7:47 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Lol, when I'm all by myself, no one is looking at me, and I have my eyes closed I'm invisible - I can just feel it :mrgreen:

Haha. I would respond with an appropriate line from that movie if I could remember any of them verbatim. Ooh, here's one:

"All the alcohol in the world wouldn't be enough."

Janeane Garofalo is awesome :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2005, 11:00 pm

FuzzyChickens wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Haha. I would respond with an appropriate line from that movie if I could remember any of them verbatim. Ooh, here's one:

"All the alcohol in the world wouldn't be enough."

Janeane Garofalo is awesome :)

I don't think all the alcohol in the world could make me agree with her politics :? :roll:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2005, 11:37 pm

Tim_p wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Roumor has it, Bill Gates is an aspie.

Yeah, I have heard that rumor too. My problem is, while he's a nerd, I don't think I've ever seen signs that he was specifically aspie though. On the other hand, Steve Jobbs seems to have...well... a certain brash eccentricity that seems more indicative of AS.

Also that guy who runs Oracle (forgot his name), he seemed to show a lot of aspiish if not very OCDish traits in the interview I watched in my systems class.

FuzzyChickens
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2005, 12:13 am

You know who must have been an aspie? Nikola Tesla. That guy was the nuttiest fruitcake I've ever read about - and also possibly the smartest human who ever lived. He made Einstein look like a kindergardtener with Down's Syndrome.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2005, 5:27 am

FuzzyChickens wrote:
You know who must have been an aspie? Nikola Tesla. That guy was the nuttiest fruitcake I've ever read about - and also possibly the smartest human who ever lived. He made Einstein look like a kindergardtener with Down's Syndrome.

I'd rather be a nutty fruitcake and a plain one. Get what you pay for. :twisted:

And that's not a very nice way to talk about people. If Einstein is that, what are you?

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2005, 10:03 am

Not all geeks have AS.

If the person has a special interest, an obsession, a passion, I'd tend to think he or she has it.

If that person is really talented in that interest - a savant - I'd be almost sure of it.

I've been told of people who are 'situationally ret*d': they grew up with very stupid people and perhaps were abused by them as well so they adapt to get along by dumbing down. Get them out of that environment and they become normal.

I think there are people who are situationally geeky having grown up with antisocial parents, etc. They don't have AS.

(The kind some of us saw on TV or in the movies, getting our hopes up - the guy or girl who changes his or her looks with a good hairstyle, new clothes and by trading Clark Kent glasses for contacts and all that person's social problems go away!)

And that I grew up both having AS and having it made worse by the situational thing.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2005, 10:18 am

By Bec's definition of geek and nerd, I'm about 50-50 split on it. My obsessions and phases can change the percentage though sometimes.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2005, 11:53 am

Quote:
I think more of us are much less conventional in how we display our being "geeks", usually don't dress the part, don't vibe the part, but are often times a). fundamentally very different from other people in ways that are much more straight from the center of who we are and b). our trajectory relly annoys people for reasons that are usually commended in NT's....

That's it! Great post.

LunarMoon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Feb 2005, 7:03 pm

Yeah, I have heard that rumor too. My problem is, while he's a nerd, I don't think I've ever seen signs that he was specifically aspie though. On the other hand, Steve Jobbs seems to have...well... a certain brash eccentricity that seems more indicative of AS.
Bill Gates lives in a relatively technologically advanced home built under the ground.