Are kids in other countries smarter than American kids?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 8:44 pm

I don't think kids in Canada are any more or less smart or educated than American kids. I'm sure they still know more about the US than they do about their own country. :(

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 9:29 pm

It makes me feel bad that in anime americans are made out to be stupid. I'd say I'm plenty smart, so are these people talking about other kids? :?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 10:02 pm

Most of the things I know, I didn't learn at school. My mother gave me a love of books and knowledge, starting very early in my life. I was able to do well in school because I had a passion for reading and gathering knowledge.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 9:25 pm

When I first saw that show "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?", I was amazed by all the subjects and questions because up until then I thought kids in school were learning absolutely nothing, and it made me feel a little embarrassed because it was like I hadn't learned much at all when I was a kid, and I thought I had learned quite bit because I loved to read so much.

But maybe the show wasn't about how dumb adults are compared to the kids. Maybe it was really about how grade-schoolers will forget most of the nonsense they're being taught when they grow up because it was completely not worth knowing, anyway.

I've been watching a lot of those "Shower Thoughts" videos the past couple of days.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 4:50 pm

If I was the CEO of an American mega corporation, then yeah, I WANT American kids to be as dumb as bricks.

I WANT them to believe they should go out and buy $300 sneakers because $25 sneakers are garbage.

I WANT them to BUY music and movies instead of illegally downloading them and I'm grateful they're too stupid to know how to torrent.

I WANT stupid kids to buy my $600 smartphones then cross the street staring into them without paying attention to traffic. Maybe they'll get hit, the phone will fall and break, and they'll buy a new one as soon as they get out of the hospital (or maybe even while in the hospital).

I need stupid kids so I can keep on selling them the processed garbage in the supermarkets that passes for food, so my rich doctor friends on the golf course can get more customers for their diabetic and weight loss centers.

I need stupid kids to keep on upgrading their electronics every year and hope they're not smart enough to figure out how to mod their own devices.

I need stupid kids to watch my utterly mindless TV shows so I can rake in much moolah from the advertising companies.

I need stupid kids to grow up to be stupid adults so that, every Sunday, they can fill up the tithes baskets in my rich evangelists' friends mega-churches so we'll have something to talk about on the golf course at Mar-A-Largo.

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 5:12 pm

Really, I don't care about status symbols. Just as long as it's pink and cute, I'm good.

B-But that's illegal! You could get fined for that, or go to jail! 8O

I don't have a phone. And if I ever needed one, I think flip phones look cooler, so...

I'm not diabetic and I'm relitavely skinny, and I eat that stuff.

I'm here on a four year old iPad. My devices don't get upgraded every year, though I do like my video games. (Please don't murder me for saying that.)

And that is why I don't belive in god or church.

See? Not all American kids are dumb as a doorknob. :(

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 5:19 pm

You do want a few elite kids to run your companies, as even the smartest CEO can't do everything.

I think if you just look at the elite schools and compare them against the elite institutions in other countries we actually do pretty well.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 1:45 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
When I first saw that show "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?", I was amazed by all the subjects and questions because up until then I thought kids in school were learning absolutely nothing, and it made me feel a little embarrassed because it was like I hadn't learned much at all when I was a kid, and I thought I had learned quite bit because I loved to read so much.

But maybe the show wasn't about how dumb adults are compared to the kids. Maybe it was really about how grade-schoolers will forget most of the nonsense they're being taught when they grow up because it was completely not worth knowing, anyway.
That sounds about right. A lot of school stuff is just remembered until the test about it is over.
Of course kids are gonna do better in those shows, they have just been through the stuff, while it's years since the adults were taught the subject. People tend to remember what they need and what is on their mind, which should explain why school lessons will rank low. Or maybe that's just me! :lol:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 2:30 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I think more and more kids in America are giving up, despite the big economical advantage we have compared to the rest of the world. They're afraid of trying harder.

Hell, it easier for me to get a job when that happens.

I think it is a little more complicated than that.