Are any aspies here grammar nazis?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 5:29 am

sociable_hermit wrote:
sigholdaccountlost wrote:
I never got the hang of correct poessive apostrophe use where the word ends in 'S'. This is why whenever I roleplay, any character's names ending in 'S' get shortened so that they don't.

That's good. You have acknowledged a potential problem area and taken steps to avoid it. If only other people did the same!

Thanks. Altough it does seem to reek a bit of the easy way out.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 8:37 am

Some of the imported words that pluralize in different ways stump me sometimes.

antenna = antennae

dilemma = dilemmae ?

quantum = quanta

forum = fora ?

scrotum = scrota ?

cactus = cacti

locus = loci

hocus pocus = hocus poci ?

thistledown
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2006, 9:19 am

Litigious wrote:
Look at this: "tomten" are two different nouns in Swedish. One means "the estate" or "the ground", the other means "Santa Claus"! In the first case, it's pronounced tómten, in the other tómtèn. We have more words like that, for example "anden", which means either "the duck" or "the spirit". Most foreigners never learn the correct pronounciation. 8)

Yeah, bad grammar irks me. I do have particular pet peaves though, like "You did good." It's "well", not "good"; "good is an adjective and can only modify nouns and pronouns while "well" is an adverb and can modify verbs like "did."

Regarding the eccentricities of the Swedish language, I speak Danish and while "anden" is "the duck", when the word is used as "the spirit", the "a" has a little circle above it (which my keyboard doesn't have) in Danish. Lots of stuff like that in Danish too, though. Fro (with a line through the "o") means "seed" or "frog"; "gift" means "married" or "poison." Also, when I worked in a nursery outside of Copenhagen and started learning Danish, I was put off by the advertising slogan they attached to the chrysanthemums--"Blomster til enver lejlihed"--Flowers for every occasion. "Lejlihed" also means "apartment" and it was the only definition I knew, so I thought, "What about people in houses?"

Thistledown

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 12:50 pm

I have horrid grammar and spelling in my writing.(I am grateful for my spell check,as I can't SEE when the words are spelled incorrectly and often "dumb down" my vocabulary due to poor spelling)I am annoyed when I HEAR language being used poorly.It annoys my ears more then my eyes.
That may have something to do with my dyslexia....I am not really SEEING the whole word but reading it based on its shape and the context of the sentence(That may only make sense to other dyslexics?)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 2:20 pm

yup.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 11:07 pm

Okay, while we're on this topic, something that's been annoying the hell out of me lately is the various news services. CNN.com, ABCnews, CBD, even BBC (admittedly, it's rare with them) don't seem to be able to find their spellchecker with both hands, an engraved invitation and a GPS unit.
I was just skimming an article on some lame TV show called 'Ugly Betty' when my eyes noticed they'd managed to spell the name of the country of Colombia incorrectly. The fact of the matter is that there is no nation named Columbia. Period.
It's C-O-L-O-M-B-I-A.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. I tend to find spelling, grammar and punctuation errors in just about any online edition of just about any news service on a daily basis and it drives. me. in. sane.
Their seeming inability to check their spelling makes me wonder how assiduous they are in checking their facts, among other things.