Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 7:58 pm

Hello everyone!
I just found this forum.
I'm a 41 year old male. I was diagnosed with aspergers around 5 years ago, but I was never sure what to do with the diagnosis. Yes, it explained a lot to me, but I'm not big on psychotherapy or medications. And at the time I was a practicing alcoholic/pot addict.

I have since gotten clean & sober and I am now discovering how some of my 'aspie' qualities present a challenge to the process of recovery. Particularly the social aspects of attending 12 step meetings. It has been my feelings of social awkwardness that has driven me away from AA and ultimately led to many relapses over the past 23 years.

I'll share more later, I just wanted to say hi.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 8:34 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

hiwayman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2011, 8:46 pm

I identify a lot with your post. I haven't been personally diagnosed, but my son has. Well, he is JUST like me.
For better or worse, I am self-diagnosed. An online test support my diagnosis of HFA.

I am 39. I spent all of my 20's in a 12 step setting. I would specifically choose less populated settings so that I wouldn't get lost and feel so isolated. I tried, as much as possible, to find things to keep me busy just to justify sticking around longer. I felt comfortable in a setting where I could openly just share what was on my mind without a whole lot of chit chat. I wonder if this is also shared by other aspies?? I identified with the obsessive traits as well. After some time, I would ask "What do you say after you say 'Hello'"? The answer still eludes me...with the exception of "Can I help out in any way?"
I used my marriage as an excuse to shy away from meetings in my 30's. I am now trying to re-connect in a new area and I am struggling just to make myself wander around for 10 minutes. Approaching people inn those circumstances is incredibly difficult.

Thad

Autonomy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Nov 2011, 12:17 am

Hi Pete! It's always encouraging to hear real stories from people who have recovered, welcome here and anything you need just ask :)

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 12:28 am

"What do you say after you say 'Hello'"?...

I have been asking myself that question since I was a kid.
Still haven't found an answer.

I do find the social environment around 12 step meetings a lot easier to deal with than social groups of so called "normal" people. They are a lot more accepting of socially awkward people. I also suspect there are number of other aspies around AA meetings. But another trouble I have had with the 12 steps is the spiritual aspect. I just plain do not believe in any deity, and if I am too vocal about my atheism, people will attempt to convert me to this "god" character they believe in. Then I get frustrated and just stop going. But I think my problem is with their "higher power", not mine. I just need to be more accepting of others beliefs.

For me alcohol has been a means of coping with my social anxieties. I recently read a book called "Asperger syndrome and Alcohol" which talks about a high rate of alcoholism amongst folks with AS.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 5:35 am

Welcome.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Nov 2011, 8:23 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran