Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Ecam
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2011, 2:01 am

Not surviving as in to imply a terribly high occupational mortality rate, but I hope that was understood. I don't want a marine to come in and lecture me or something.
I never new about aspergers until recently, and I was pretty quick to dismiss it. But of course I had to go back and read everything about it. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.... Hold on, I meant I more or less wanted to dismiss it... but read it anyway? I don't know. Anyway, I would be lying if I said I never noticed, or that nobody else did. But I was written off as a ADD(Not adhd) case at a young age and the treatment never developed past Adderal for 21 years. But I don't know. It never seemed right. I had a couple friends but there was definitely a trend. They were all smoking marijuana by 16, and although I feel confident enough to call them close friends, I never seemed interested enough to join them. As a kid, my favorite games where legos and inventing useless things or games. I would invent role playing games based off my favorite RPGs like final fantasy and play it out with my 1 or two close friends. It never lasted though, I would always over complicate the rules or they would get bored. I was dressed by my mom up until high school. I think she knew I would just wear the same outfit if she didn't. I didn't see what the big deal was until one day one of the girls in class asked if my mom picked out my clothes. I blatantly said yes, not thinking it was a big deal and was ridiculed for it. I noticed there was people though who DID wear the same things everyday and didn't get made fun of. People usually called them stoners and hoodies were their weapon of choice. So I copied them and things went back to normal. Well, as normal as it can get. There's more but I might have rambled so I'm not going to say more unless you want to hear it. Sorry if I rambled.

LeninzTomb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Nov 2011, 2:09 am

Feel free to write as much as you wish.

I was actually the same way. It is only in the last 4 years or so that I am wearing clothes that I picked for myself, too (I'm 23). I dress differently now to shield myself (hood up to avoid small talk). Also, I still have never gotten high either. Just about all of my friends smoked weed, but I never wanted to try.

Anyway, welcome to Wrong Planet! Hopefully you can find some community here.

Isaaccte
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2011, 2:42 am

I'm pretty new here myself, but welcome to WrongPlanet just the same.

I've only known about myself for about a month now, but I have known, and everyone around me could tell, that I was different. I must be very lucky because all the people in my life find my differences cute and endearing. I don't understand why, but I accept it.

Anyway, I was dressing myself by the time I was ten, mostly because my parents were too busy to care about me most of the time, and I usually wore the same thing as long as I could before someone noticed and commented. I, too, found fun in making up new games to play, though I usually played them by myself because I didn't start making friends until sixth grade.

I hope me sharing some of my past helps you feel more comfortable about sharing more of yours. Say as much as you feel comfortable.

Ecam
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2011, 2:50 am

It's... weird finding people like yourself. Not like the conventional sense. That would be like the many times I've said"Oh, you like (whatever too, AND whatever as well) we should hang out. I would say I'm high functioning. Aside from biting my nails or pacing furiously when I talk on the phone I wouldn't say I have any... What are they called? It's like habitual actions or something. anyway. I managed to fake... everything. It's a double edged sword trying to fake sympathy, or play out emotion so as to try to fit in. I would suggest it over being mute, but I understand some cases are more serious than others. My stand by method is to look around and see what everyone was doing and just mimic their reaction, at least until I hear more. But more or less this way has the same result as not saying anything, More often than not I guess, but there's where I usually get in trouble. I'm not a bad person. I really don't want people to think it. When I write apology letters for the things I said, they accuse me of being sarcastic. I tell them why would I do that. I tell them we've been friends for years, and I have nothing to gain from being cruel to you. The end result is that we are both confused and don't know how to proceed. I just... I just really need someone to tell me I'm not crazy. I just want to fit in... At least a little.

Isaaccte
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2011, 2:58 am

Ecam wrote:
I just... I just really need someone to tell me I'm not crazy.

I'll tell you the same thing my husband says when I ask him the same thing.

I can say you're not crazy, but that doesn't guarantee you'll believe it. You need to tell yourself that.

But, don't worry, you aren't crazy. *grin* No more than the rest of us I'd wager.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 5:30 am

Welcome.

SoundOfRain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2011, 7:21 am

welcome, you'll find understanding and education here. soundofrain

richie
Supporting Member