Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 5:03 am

Scottish Government launches Autism Strategy

New support for Scotland's 50,000 people with autism and their families was announced by the Scottish Government last week. £13.4 million is to be invested in the new strategy for autism over the next four years to implement improvements to autism services and access to these services. The funding package will be used to: fund the recruitment of local autism co-ordinators to provide information, advice and support; support the Scottish Autism Services Network, which builds competence in the workforce to assist post diagnostic support; help people access social care services; create a development fund of £1 million per annum, for which both local and national organisations can apply; and develop new one stop shop drop-in services for people with autism around Scotland.

Commenting, Dr Robert Moffat, National Director of The National Autistic Society (NAS) Scotland said: “NAS welcomes news that the Government is addressing the enormous challenges currently faced by the 1 in 100 Scots who have autism by launching its Scottish strategy for autism. “We particularly welcome the Government’s commitment to work with local authorities to address the ‘postcode lottery’ nature of support services which is the experience of many people with autism and their families. Of the 50,000 Scottish people with autism, only 7,500 are known to local authorities. Although there are some good examples of support in Scotland, this is by no means the case everywhere. Currently those expected to help people with autism, such as local authorities, health, employment and education services often fail to do so, because they don’t recognise autism, or understand its impact."

NAS Scotland has been a key driver in helping bring the strategy into being. We are thanking our supporters for all their help and support as the Autism (Scotland) Bill has progressed through Parliament and developed into the Autism Strategy for Scotland. With your support, NAS Scotland will continue to work and campaign so that all people with autism in Scotland can access the help and support they need to fulfil their potential.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 5:31 am

Congratulations, guys. Little by little we'll move the walls back.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

16 Nov 2011, 11:15 am

I live just ouside Dunfermline in Scotland. I'm part way through the assessment process for Asperger syndrome, at the end of which I suspect my Autism status on my profile will go from "don't know" to "diagnosed".

What's not clear from this or its English equivalent is if it's just about lower-functioning fautism, or if it's supposed to cover AS, PDD-NOS and HFA.

Does anybody know?