Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2011, 8:12 pm

Does using the microwave count?

Seriously, I do cook a little.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 8:33 pm

I cook. It's pretty necessary unless you want to spend too much money and consume too many calories on restaurant food (or live with someone else who cooks).

Hanyo, you can make fine fried eggs with runny yolks without turning them over. It's called "sunny-side-up". You break an egg gently into a small bowl like a cereal bowl, not directly into the fat, and pour it in slowly. Then repeat for another egg. The white will get firm and the yolk will stay runny. Then slide your spatula under the whole egg, especially under the yolk, and lift out carefully, letting it drip grease back into the pan.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Nov 2011, 9:36 pm

Sibyl wrote:
I cook. It's pretty necessary unless you want to spend too much money and consume too many calories on restaurant food (or live with someone else who cooks).

I've been the primary cook for one household, one of many in a second household, and cooked for myself in a third, and it didn't make me any more capable of cooking things, just meant I got to rely on my limited repertoire and fail badly at anything complex.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2011, 10:08 pm

Outer_Darkness wrote:
Does using the microwave count?

Seriously, I do cook a little.

I would think the microwave cooking definitely counts. I can remember when my grandmother gave my mother a microwave oven for Christmas when I was in school. This was back when microwaves were huge. And there was a cookbook with it. There was a recipe for Texas Chili that I tried on my own. It turned out really well in that Kenmore microwave oven.