Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:38 pm

Do you cook? If so, do you like to cook? If not, why not?

If you do cook, what are some of the things you like to cook best?

Frances

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2011, 6:41 pm

I love to cook. I prefer cooking Italian, Chinese, or Mexican food. I don't eat pork or red meat, so it's easy to cook with lots of veggies in those styles. I also eat salad a lot, which while not exactly "cooking," can be creative and fun.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:52 pm

I like to cook too. Then again, being the Mom of a big family, I sort of have to cook. I love pork. In fact, tonight I made pork roast with potatoes and onions in the pan. It's almost ready. Last night I made a quick hamburger, cheese, tomato and sour cream casserolle.

I also bake bread. I've always baked special breads to go with meals, but I found the best sandwich bread recipe I've ever tried! It's very easy, it makes two loaves, it tastes great and slices great. We haven't bought bread from the store in ages. I only have to do it every other day, because we eat one loaf a day usually. If you'd like the recipe, I'll gladly give it to you.

Today was bread day. On bread day I always roast two bulbs of garlic while its baking and then squeeze them out into softened butter for a spread. It's so good!

My daughter is making dessert tonight, so I don't have to. White chocolate chip cookies.

Someone gave us 14 lbs of ground venison a few weeks ago. It's in the freezer in 2lb packages. I have no clue what to do with it! Anyone ever cooked venison?

Frances

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 7:02 pm

I cook. I mainly just cook simple things like quesdillas and grill cheese and the like, ands its really only when I can't convince anyone else to cook something for me as I'm lazy. I also help my mom prepare and cook dinner when it's my week for it ( we have a very structurered rotation for chores in my household with six children, I'm the second. )

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 7:17 pm

Yes I cook, I was a professional cook for 4yrs.

I do breakfast items the best, anything and everything !

I'm also pretty good at traditional dinners. pork, chicken, pasta,.......etc.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

Love to when I have the time. Damned good at it to if I do say so. But I don't have to. Everyone else does.

I prefer everything raw and natural. No predone crap. I use the predone stuff, I just don't like to. And I never use recipes, except for ideas. I love just seeing what I can do with whatever's already in the house. That for me is the challenge. To make something good out of whatever's around, just by experimenting.

I've had a few disasters, but almost all have come out very good.

I use one simple principle I didn't learn anywhere. If "A" tastes good with "B," and "B" tastes good with "C," try A and C. They'll probably work together. Extrapolate from there, and you can come up with some wild sounding concoctions you might think would be horrible, but are actually pretty darned good. You will also create a few toxins, but what the hey? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

DC
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 8:06 pm

I enjoy cooking.

My diet consists of

fresh & home grown veg with chicken & rice/pasta/noodle spicy stir fries
marinaded slow roast lamb or beef & roast veggies
roast pork & crackling with roast veggies
spicy bolognese

my favourite dishes at the moment:
baked salmon fillets wrapped in bacon with lemon & pepper served with rice&sweetcorn and flash fried green beans & asparagus & garlic
spicy chicken/mushroom/spinach/pasta bake with a breadcrumb&cheese topping

I don't eat puddings but I do a mean microwave chocolate cake for my girlfriend occasionally.

For any other people cooking on that are on the spectrum, do you always weigh everything to the exact gram and time everything to the second or is that just me? :oops:

Last edited by DC on 14 Nov 2011, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 9:05 pm

I rarely use measurements unless I'm using a recipe and then it's pretty much just approximate

Frances

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 9:19 pm

I'm a pro, 20 years and counting. Currently pro/am I suppose because I am jobless at the moment.

Mostly fine dining, local natural foods and the like.

I like to cook the way your grandma's grandma did. Before they had them newfangled refrigerator contraptions. Salt cured everything.

I like to make sauerkraut, kimchee, kombucha, tempeh, charcuterie, ketjap, mead, cider, biscuits, creme fraiche, sourdough pancakes, all kinds of breads, scones, english muffins, and so on and on. Every day you will find broth cooking on the stove in my kitchen, and usually some beans slow cooking on there too.

But really, I haven't met a dish I couldn't cook. Not yet, anyway. I'm sure it's out there, just waiting to stymie me and teach me some humility.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Nov 2011, 9:21 pm

I don't mind cooking. Some of the things I like to make are spaghetti, Creole shrimp gumbo, tuna noodle casserole, steaks on the grill, pancakes, etc.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 9:33 pm

I like to cook lately I've been doing things in the slow cooker at least once a week, other things I like to cook are Stuffed peppers, hearty meatball spaghetti, lots of chicken dishes I did a Tarragen chicken the other day.
I started to cook when I was still at home I did it one night a week so that my Mum could have a night off and it helped me learn to try different things.

davidalan11235813
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

Sometimes. I'm not great at it, but I can.

OliveOilMom wrote:
I rarely use measurements unless I'm using a recipe and then it's pretty much just approximate

Frances

I'm the complete opposite. I have to have the exact measurements the recipe calls for.

impulse94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2011, 9:51 pm

It really bugs me when someone says "I can't cook." One of the most basic functions of life is to be able to feed yourself. I can't fathom taking pride in being either too ignorant or too lazy to make even a few simple dishes.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm

I do like to cook.

I do not think I have something I like to cook best, but what I really enjoy is trying new things. I am constantly looking for new recipes, and enjoy watching my family enjoying new dishes.

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2011, 12:32 am

I get really overwhelmed by having to do the clean-up afterwards, so I often avoid cooking, but I enjoy the cooking itself. My specialty is tofu stir fry.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 12:46 am

I find cooking overwhelming. I keep wanting to learn but every time we go to try to teach me I get so hanged up that we don't make it very far.

I am able to follow a recipe, but I get completely overwhelmed if I have to deviate from a recipe. I need to be told specific amounts of things to be put in, specific order to do so, and specific cooking time. I'm able to eventually remember the basic amounts and not need to be given precise amounts, but that's only through large amounts of repetition.

Basically, give me instructions and I can follow them. Expect me to be able to figure out how to deal if I'm missing an instruction, am given an instruction in reference to how to make something else, or don't have what's needed for an instruction and I have no idea what to do.

Basically this means that all I make is pasta with a few sauces that I've been taught how to make, though I'm trying to learn how to make falafel as well.

My boyfriend cooks for me usually.