Wanted: Someone to teach me about red eared sliders

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

Hi! I've decided, this'll be the best place to go. I'm looking for a nice person to teach me the ins and outs of turtle care. Said turtle is 6" across her shell, (female just sexed her this week!) and I've had her since she was quarter sized in december of 2006. I know aspie turtle lovers will be really upset when I mention the next part: I have her in a 10 gallon tank, no pebbles(are they needed?) other fish or anything, no working light, or filter. I hate that she's in this mess. She was given to me by a "friend" (see: no longer friend who took advantage of my naivety)who "rescued" her (see: went to china town, bought four, and gave me two).

The light finally kicked the bucket a couple of months ago. The lid is totally burnt and singed, and has holes. I think I'm feeding her enough. I feed her a good dose of pellets a day, sometimes with a mixture of mealworms, crickets, and shrimp.

I honestly can't afford a big tank, and I am not giving her to strangers. I'm looking in to getting a larger one for cheap or possibly free.

I really could use all help with the ins and outs of turtle care, and figuring out how to set up a tank (maybe with small turtle safe fish and plants?) and what to do when she matures (i'm reading things about nesting boxes for unfertilized eggs?!)

Help grreatly appreciated. I've looked online an I just keep getting overwhelmed!

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 12:53 am

I don't have any actual knowledge of turtles but found a website that is nothing but RES's orientated
VVV
http://www.redearslider.com/index_basic_info.html

from a quick read you tank is way too small and your going to have to get the light fixed.

also what is the water temp and do you have a filter

optimum water temp is 78* to 80*f

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 12:55 am

I wish that I could help you, but I don't know anything about them.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 1:50 am

gadge wrote:
I don't have any actual knowledge of turtles but found a website that is nothing but RES's orientated
VVV
http://www.redearslider.com/index_basic_info.html

from a quick read you tank is way too small and your going to have to get the light fixed.

also what is the water temp and do you have a filter

optimum water temp is 78* to 80*f

No filter. every time i've gotten one it breaks. I can't seem to get the water to heat up any either. It's usually room temp. do I need a special heater? I've gotten a line on a 45 gallon tank, maybe a different offer will come in tomorrow.

and Cockney: It's okay. You've helped me with other stuff in the past, ad besides, you're awesome no matter what! :D *hug*

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 10:56 pm

They can't live in Hexagon tanks, can they? That'd be pretty hard, right?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm

well, i've got a 29 gallon tank, a filter and lots of decor! i'm excited. any turtle loving help is appreciated!