Is it easy for professional to doagnose right..

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

themonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2006, 5:08 am

between adhd and aspergers?

Im not sure what I have but Im damn scared if I get wrong dignosis :?

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 6:59 am

Two thoughts...

Is a diagnosis for ever? If it isn't, then it's not a disaster to consider it as operating "for now" as a basis for consideration, treatment and action.
Later events might show it to be less than perfectly accurate ("Wrong" might reflect binary thinking, or be fair comment!) and a better diagnosis might occur.

(I wasn't diagnosed with AS until I was 48, but the psychological and medical treatment I had for depression prior to that wasn't useless, just somewhat mis-directed and not as effective as it could have been)

Would one of the markers of difference between ADHD and AS be behaviour outside of class?
I'm not an expert, but while an AS person might be likely to spend long periods involved with a special interest or single activity (to the point of obsessive repetition in some cases), would an ADHD individual be seen to have more trouble maintaining interest in any one thing, even of their own choosing?

(there's also the experimental route. While there are generally recognised medications that help with ADHD, AS *itself*is not widely regarded as needing or benefitting from medication.
If it's an unsure diagnosis, an observed and assessed course of ADHD medication might confirm a dignosis or throw it into doubt, with no great harm done, and possible benefit)

I would welcome these opinions being supported or challenged by others with more knowledge in this field.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 12:05 pm

This is one of the things that has invaded my thought processes, too. We need to look at each person as individuals whom require different treatment priorities. Everyone is different in their thinking and processing, so therefore a standardized treatment regimen would likely encourage a kind of stepford incident. Not everyone features with the same symptoms, therefore any such treatment regimen would have to reflect this.

The problems arising from diagnostic criteria is that they suppose that those fitting everyone whom fits the description will benefit from the same treatment regimen. This, of course, excludes things like sensory conditions, relationship conditions etc... Sure, most with aspergers tend to have social difficulties, but not everyone presents with the same social difficulties. Treatment regimens tend to focus on aspects of social difficulties based on psychological research, which could cause problems if the individual being treated presents with different underlying social problems. It is similar with ADHD, which presents itself differently with each child.

There are a lot of overlapping of symptoms between both disorders. I was originally diagnosed with severe ADHD, but many of the therapists had no idea that I engaged in solitary and very personal interests. My parents did, given that as I expressed it to them, but they didn't see it as a true problem. I think schools focus more on behavioral problems and less on underlying causes, pushing treatment regimens towards disciplinary actions. I was sort of shocked at a lot of the things that my parents knew about that never found their way into older treatment records after I researched. I also have hormonal imbalances, I think. I know my parents once mentioned to a psychiatrist at a treatment center about what could be called "solitary sexual dissocation," after they became quite concerned after I blurted it out. It's nothing serious, but I show no interest for sexual intercourse towards humans. Not any of this has ever been mentioned in any of the reports, and I recall one time where the clinician didn't want to touch the subject. Instead, they focus more on the behavioral aspects of things. Maybe a plethora of ABA-applied professionals dominates the field?

- Ray M -

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 2:47 pm

Consider the possibility that it might be both. Some people say this is impossible because AS "includes" ADHD; but I disagree-- not all Aspies have concentration problems.

I'm starting to suspect I might have this combination myself. AS+ADHD(inattentive) seems like it would result in a person who hyperfocuses on special interests, but has a hard time focusing on anything else, and also has a hard time with personal organization (bill-paying, homework, schedules, tardiness, etc.). That description fits me; I'm already diagnosed Aspie; but I haven't talked to anyone about the possibilty of ADHD yet. I used to think that it didn't matter whether or not I had ADHD, because I could simply read books on ADHD and figure out how to solve my bad concentration and disorganization; but now I'm starting to think I may actually need medication... much as I hate the thought of another pill (I'm already on Lexapro).

The similarity between the two is a tendency to be socially inept, and executive dysfunction (i.e., difficulty getting organized). But Aspies are often very organized; and ADHD often doesn't hinder socialization.

Both types tend to fidget a lot, but for different reasons. Aspies are trying to calm themselves or have constant input from their bodies, so as to know exactly where they are in space. ADHD, hyperactive type, results in excess energy that is spent moving around.

Aspies corner the market on special interests--those aren't even mentioned for ADHD.

Both AS and ADHD often come along with high intelligence... but only AS specifies that IQ must be normal or higher. So if you have ADHD and a borderline-to-low IQ you'd be diagnosed autistic instead.

Okay, so:
Asperger Syndrome:
--Difficulty socializing
--Sterotypies and/or special interests
--No language delay and normal or higher IQ (differentiates from HFA and LFA, respectively)

ADHD:
--Hyperactivity (sometimes not present, as in inattentive-type ADHD)
--Poor attention span
--Difficulty getting organized

ADHD can have features of AS; AS can have features of ADHD. But all in all, it's which symptoms are more pronounced that will give you your diagnosis (or, if they're all there, you'll get a diagnosis of both).

Whether your psychiatrist can properly diagnose this really depends on how good s/he is.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 01 Oct 2006, 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 2:54 pm

Callista wrote:
Consider the possibility that it might be both. Some people say this is impossible because AS "includes" ADHD; but I disagree-- not all Aspies have concentration problems.

I'm starting to suspect I might have this combination myself. AS+ADHD(inattentive) seems like it would result in a person who hyperfocuses on special interests, but has a hard time focusing on anything else, and also has a hard time with personal organization (bill-paying, homework, schedules, tardiness, etc.). That description fits me; I'm already diagnosed Aspie; but I haven't talked to anyone about the possibilty of ADHD yet.

I don't have trouble concentrating on things that I am interested in or excited about. I do have trouble sustaining concentration in terms of learning new concepts, and I tend to get disgusted if I have to study for something. I want to learn it at once, or rather not learn it at all. Strangely, the art of computers came quite easily to me, given I had a desire to engross myself in it. I learned most of what I know on my own, so when I had it in college, things were a bit easier.

Is this ADHD? I can't say for sure. I heard that ADHD manifests itself in a strong central desire for self-gratification. If that's true, then I suspect that aspergers and ADHD do have a lot in common.

- Ray M -

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 3:05 pm

ADHD often gives the person the ability to hyperfocus on things that are intensely interesting and stimulating. You often see kids with ADHD become very, very good at video games; because those are fast-paced enough, and have instantaneous rewards, for the kid to be able to concentrate easily.

ADHD tends towards special interests that are very rewarding, stimulating, and probably fast-paced.
AS tends towards special interests that satisfy a need for information, categorization, collection, and puzzle-solving.

Naturally there are special interests that fall into both categories...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com