Catholic church seeking to advise Penn State

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

16 Nov 2011, 1:06 am

This is priceless. The catholic church wants to advise penn state on how to handle the controversy and what can be learned from it.
I mean really, the catholic church has been a safe haven for pedophiles for centuries, now they wanna use these penn state victims as a catylist to join the catholic church and the educational system. I cant believe they would use their common bond of harboring pedophiles as an entrance point into state educational systems. I mean really they have some nerve.

Jojo

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/1 ... ?hpt=hp_t2

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:04 pm

Dear Penn State,

If there is anybody who knows about how to handle a paedophilia controversy, it's us.

If I were seeing evidence of a good faith effort on the part of the Catholic establishment (as opposed to individual Catholics) to reconcile itself with the wrongdoing of individuals and the collective abdication of responsibility that followed, I would be more likely to believe that they have something of value to share.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Dear Penn State,

If there is anybody who knows about how to handle a paedophilia controversy, it's us.

If I were seeing evidence of a good faith effort on the part of the Catholic establishment (as opposed to individual Catholics) to reconcile itself with the wrongdoing of individuals and the collective abdication of responsibility that followed, I would be more likely to believe that they have something of value to share.

When catholic piests are ordained, the fact that they don't become eunuchs pretty much shouts on the top of a cathedral spire that soon child abuse will result.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

If the Catholic institution oh sorry church wants to help to smooth things over for Penn state, it could bite both in the butt! Now that would be sweet revenge!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

17 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

I wonder what an institution with centuries of experience in "handling" sexual preditors would have to say to the institution with only a decade of experience??

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

jojobean wrote:
I wonder what an institution with centuries of experience in "handling" sexual preditors would have to say to the institution with only a decade of experience??

The answer is in the catholic secret library in the vatican: So you are a dirty rapist scoundrel?

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

It makes me wonder just how long the Catholic church has known about & covered up sexual abuse in its diocese. I'm sure this has been a fact for centuries. If they are willing to give counsel to Penn State, that disturbs me greatly. Just how far & wide was the abuse in the church? My guess is that it goes all the way up to the Pope.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 9:57 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
It makes me wonder just how long the Catholic church has known about & covered up sexual abuse in its diocese. I'm sure this has been a fact for centuries. If they are willing to give counsel to Penn State, that disturbs me greatly. Just how far & wide was the abuse in the church? My guess is that it goes all the way up to the Pope.

I am not sure about centuries, but things started going downhill when Pope Pius IX strongarmed his way to infallibility, leading to Lord Acton uttering the phrase which was changed a little to what we know today as "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely." Since then the Church has done whatever it takes to keep power, including ferry around pedophiles and keep things secret. The original Cardinal which started it all, Cardinal Law in Boston, got whisked away suddenly to a post in the Vatican after the news broke. Nothing has really changed in the issue that I know of since Supreme Inquisitor Ratzinger got pontificated. I'm not kidding, the original name for the part of the Church he led was originally called The Inquisition. It still exists but under a different name. He was John Paul II's right hand man, and I did not expect things to change much. Even though to be fair (tangentially) he did come out and promote evolution like JPII and Pius XII instead of creationism, and I never learned about creationism as viable when I went to a Jesuit school.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to clarify something. By "Catholic Church," I mean the higher-ups. I felt since some things happened at Vatican II I should try to clarify as much as possible the hierarchy from the laity. I do not know a single Catholic (including my family) who has a negative feeling for homosexuals. I never learned about that in school, and if you were to tell me I was supposed to think of them as sinful or damned I would not believe you. There is a difference, sometimes starkedly, between the common people and the higher-ups. It is OK sometimes to not listen to them, I believe, especially on the view of contraception.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 10:49 am

HerrGrimm wrote:
I am not sure about centuries, but things started going downhill when Pope Pius IX strongarmed his way to infallibility, leading to Lord Acton uttering the phrase which was changed a little to what we know today as "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely." Since then the Church has done whatever it takes to keep power, including ferry around pedophiles and keep things secret. The original Cardinal which started it all, Cardinal Law in Boston, got whisked away suddenly to a post in the Vatican after the news broke. Nothing has really changed in the issue that I know of since Supreme Inquisitor Ratzinger got pontificated. I'm not kidding, the original name for the part of the Church he led was originally called The Inquisition. It still exists but under a different name. He was John Paul II's right hand man, and I did not expect things to change much. Even though to be fair (tangentially) he did come out and promote evolution like JPII and Pius XII instead of creationism, and I never learned about creationism as viable when I went to a Jesuit school.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to clarify something. By "Catholic Church," I mean the higher-ups. I felt since some things happened at Vatican II I should try to clarify as much as possible the hierarchy from the laity. I do not know a single Catholic (including my family) who has a negative feeling for homosexuals. I never learned about that in school, and if you were to tell me I was supposed to think of them as sinful or damned I would not believe you. There is a difference, sometimes starkedly, between the common people and the higher-ups. It is OK sometimes to not listen to them, I believe, especially on the view of contraception.

HerrGrimm, you're so right! Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!

My biggest problem with the Catholic Church is the way they teach. The Pope is called the "Holy Father." I feel that's an insult to the true Holy Father, God. The Pope is just a man, & as such, he's just as liable to be a sinner as the rest of us. I did not grow up in the Catholic Church. I did grow up with & still practice Christianity. But any religion that practices deceit & has corruption issues, needs to clean up its act. I could never be a Catholic due the the widespread practice of covering up criminal acts. I was molested myself, & frown on anyone who could take advantage of a child. I don't have a problem with practicing Catholics....they're just parrishioners. They aren't members of the clergy. It's the clergy in all its layers that the problems lie. Parrishioners need to pressure the clergy to clean house. Jesus chastised the Jewish religious leaders for being too steeped in rituals. Too bad Jesus isn't here to tell the Catholic clergy the same thing.

Tomboy

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 5:59 pm

The Church's behavior concerning the child rape scandal are nothing short of disgusting. But I do not feel the Penn State scandal is anything like the Church's since Sandusky was not ferried around to cover his tracks and he can be extradited if he leaves the country. I might get heat for this, but I have a hard time believing there is an increased proportion of priest child rapists compared to rabbis or other similar religious figures. The real problem is the massive cover-up and STILL being stubborn when they get caught. Other than advising Penn State on statute of limitation laws, I am not sure how they can actually "advise" on this matter.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 2:30 pm

From Article wrote:
Dolan, sometimes referred to as "America's pope," said that the church has launched a nationwide program to train children, parents and teachers to look for signs of abuse and how to respond if they witness it.

I think this quote speaks volumes. Instead of actively finding pedophiles on their own and removing them, the Church keeps the pedophiles in the church and tells everyone to actively look for signs because the pedophiles are there to stay.

The Catholic Church has a terrible record of removing pedophiles from their ranks. If they simply cleaned up house, it would do them a lot good and possible earn them a sliver of respect.