Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 9:28 am

This thread may be random and pointless but its interesting how different Europe is in the 19th compared to 21st century.

In the 19th century, they were all powerful with colonies everywhere around the globe. Now in the 21st century, their economy is stuggling and some are questioning the cultural identity of Europe and whether the indigenous culture will be preserved or last even 100 more years.

Again, random thread, discuss anything you like...

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

????
i see no evidence of cultural decay, only cultural evolution.

true people realized that colonies probably wasnt the best practice but that should be seen as a positive.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

Oodain wrote:
????
i see no evidence of cultural decay, .

are you serious?

we are being ethnically cleansed out of our own countries by mass third world immigration.

open your eyes..

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 11:40 am

piroflip wrote:
Oodain wrote:
????
i see no evidence of cultural decay, .

are you serious?

we are being ethnically cleansed out of our own countries by mass third world immigration.

open your eyes..

you think that europeans are being ethnically cleansed by immigration?? i think it may be you who needs to open your eyes. oodian is right to a point. there are still massive amounts of wealth in europe. of course there is also massive poverty. this at the end of the day is where not much has changed since the 19th century. a major problem is that there is a section among the european poor who look to lame their misfortunes upon equally poor immigrants and asylum seekers, rather than laying the blame where it actually originates.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 11:51 am

Ethnic cleansing is too harsh of a word. Its not like they are experiencing the Holocaust.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 12:06 pm

The 19th century also had autodidactic intellectuals like Nathaniel Bowditch and Michael Faraday. The beautiful sailing ships of the Age of Sail were still traversing the seas. There were still frontiers on this planet to be pioneered. There was still academic freedom. Many of the inventions we still use now were developed then. For all the faults and failures of that century, there was still far more good being done.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:08 pm

jc6chan wrote:
This thread may be random and pointless but its interesting how different Europe is in the 19th compared to 21st century.

In the 19th century, they were all powerful with colonies everywhere around the globe. Now in the 21st century, their economy is stuggling and some are questioning the cultural identity of Europe and whether the indigenous culture will be preserved or last even 100 more years.

In Those Days the West was the West. Those were the days.

ruveyn

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:15 pm

jc6chan wrote:

Yes, because indigenous culture is such a relevant term in today's world. Don't go nuts.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

Gedrene wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

Yes, because indigenous culture is such a relevant term in today's world. Don't go nuts.

Well, some people still care about preserving culture while others love to embrace the mixing of cultures.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

Well, some people still care about preserving culture while others love to embrace the mixing of cultures.

all culture, especially uin the west is already a mix, you are simply too ignorant to know what came before.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:20 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

CUltures evolve. I am glad tha 19th century europe is behind us. It was a slaughterhouse. Maybe you should embrace european unity whilst developing a home culture, or otherwise you will be flooded by the outside.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

Oodain wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

all culture, especially uin the west is already a mix, you are simply too ignorant to know what came before.

I'm actually one of those people who don't care about culture. I'm just stating the facts about human nature and history.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 6:05 pm

jc6chan wrote:

So after a briefly dominating the planet things are returning to normal and Europe is gradually becoming just one more local region niether more nor less important than anyplace else.- exactly what you would expect to happen after a couple centuries.

The only possible remark on that development is that it is thoroughly unremarkable.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2011, 6:06 pm

Let us not forget all the horrors that Europeans in the Age of Imperialism did to people who were not Europeans. Because of what Europeans did duringthe scramble for Africa, the solidification of the British Raj, the Opium Wars and the Australian Frontier Wars, among many others similar atrocities, I have little sympathy for European countries' financial problems. After slaughtering [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransom_room]most of the people on 3 continents (even if most of the fighting in the Americas was done during the 16th and 17th centuries, it does not effect my point) and destroying almost the entire written history of the Maya and the Inka, to name but the civilizations with the most developed writing systems in the Americas, enslaving much of another and subjugating most of the rest of their own continent while universally dehumanizing seemingly everyone beyond the Occident by the dawn of the 1800s.

I do not think that Europeans gave us nothing: The Romans were more advanced in civil engineering than anything until the Inka started to rival them in road building and plumbing; the British gave us the Industrial Revolution; the French Revolution is one of the most wonderful achievements in human history in my mind.

But frankly, due to the reasons I have stated, I simply little sympathy for the current European powers when they get into trouble and I see no reason why I should change my views.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 6:16 pm

Abgal64 wrote:
Let us not forget all the horrors that Europeans in the Age of Imperialism did to people who were not Europeans.

Get stuffed. What happened 200 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with the Europeans alive today - hell, even most Germans alive today had absolutely no part in the Nazi years. And we'll not mention the fact that many Africans themselves were involved in the slave trade, shall we; or the fact that India and many other colonies massively benefitted from Britain's presence there? Some colonies weren't so lucky, though - especially ones run by the Belgians, say - but the world is in a massively better place because Britannia did rule those waves.

So take the chip off your shoulder and wise up.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 6:18 pm

Abgal64 wrote:
the French Revolution is one of the most wonderful achievements in human history in my mind.

The French Revolution produced 20,000 dead during the Terror and unleashed Napoleon on the world. Are you still happy with that Revolution?

Vivre La France!

ruveyn