Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 7:41 pm

ICY wrote:
Tequila wrote:
The struggle for India's independence did not reflect well on the British, I agree with that. That said, India benefitted from the infrastructure that the British installed in their country. We're not Belgians, after all. ;)

Regarding your last line in the first post of yours I quote, I can see your British stiff upper lip is in full effect :lmao: .

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the "We're not Belgians, after all" is in reference to the notorious rape by Belgium of her African colonies.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/1999/sep19 ... -s06.shtml

Anyway, at least at present, European countries don't seem to be especially inclined to go to war with each other any more.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

British colonialism was not good for the world directly at all and only by having the Industrial Revolution, something China and other states would have certainly done at least as early without European, including British, colonialism, did it have any significant indirect positive effect on the world. Nor was any other colonial state anything less than horrible, overall, for the world.

No basic good thing that the Occident gave the world could not have developed elsewhere: The foundations of evolutionary biology and paleontology started with Shen Kuo in Song China; printing books began in T'ang China; the scientific method is from Islamic Persia; innoculation and germ theory come from the Pre-Islamic Desi Subcontinent; the stern-post rudder comes from Ancient Egypt; many important textile techniques, such as doubleweave and nålebinding, come from the Early Horizon Civilizations of the Andes. And all these inventions are came first from outside the Occident.

ICY
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

pandabear wrote:
ICY wrote:
Tequila wrote:
The struggle for India's independence did not reflect well on the British, I agree with that. That said, India benefitted from the infrastructure that the British installed in their country. We're not Belgians, after all. ;)

Regarding your last line in the first post of yours I quote, I can see your British stiff upper lip is in full effect :lmao: .

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the "We're not Belgians, after all" is in reference to the notorious rape by Belgium of her African colonies.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/1999/sep19 ... -s06.shtml

Anyway, at least at present, European countries don't seem to be especially inclined to go to war with each other any more.

My stiff upper lip remark wasn’t referring to his point about Belgians; it was referring to another post where Tequila gets rather annoyed with another forum member further up the post of mine you quote. Unfortunately I didn’t think to break up the posts I quoted from and put my replies between them; I just block replied and forgot about it.

I have to agree with you about European piece, even more so then think about the last century when war was on our door step. I hope European co-operation keeps the region at piece with itself so it can focus on economic development.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 4:09 pm

19th Century Europe - Imperialism and the scramble for Africa my favorite subjects to look up and learn about.
21st Century Europe - More globalized Europe without Imperialism other than Denmark controlling Greenland.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 4:13 pm

I find 21st century Europe eminently fascinating.