14 Year old Special Needs Student Bullied by her teachers

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:56 am

RandomNickname wrote:
Are you claiming to have never bullied anyone in any way? I call bs . It's in everyone of us, it's one of those animalistic traits we all have.

It's also not always intentional. People delude themselves by creating reasons as to why it's okay.

I am saying that I have been mostly bullied. Sadly, I too bullied another child in one instant....herd behavior, felt pressured to participate. I later regretted it, felt guilty, & didn't get involved after that. Led to me being bullied even more, but I'd rather be bullied than be a bully. It's just not right. I have no delusions of what I did...I recognized it was wrong. Plain & simple....if I am on the spectrum & can see that, I feel NTs can certainly do the same thing. Don't make excuses for bad behavior. I feel as human beings, most of us have the ability to take the high road.

Goes for anyone who has any power. Using it to abuse someone "weaker" is a terrible thing to do. Earlier this year, cops beat a homeless man with schizophrenia to a pulp just for fun. He lingered in a hospital for days before he succumbed to his injuries. Sickening. Cops should also know better.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 12:00 pm

Janissy wrote:
Those animalistic traits need to be held in check, repressed. When tomboy4good says, "As human beings we should all strive to treat people better" that doesn't contradict that it is in every one of us. But some things that are in every one of us need to either find a healthy way to get out or stay inside us. Yes, I am in favor of self-repression of certain animalistic traits. A good teacher doesn't even have those thoughts about a special needs kid in the first place. But a middling teacher, if those thoughts pop up, will push them aside and focus on her job, rather than hurtfully letting them out. A bad teacher just lets them out, as these two did.

I would love it if all teachers thought well of their students and believed that their students were trying. Hopefully most- or at least many- do. But inevitably there will be teachers who have these thoughts. What makes a teacher worth firing is if they let these thoughts interfere with their teaching- as these two horrifically did. This doesn't mean no other teacher has ever had these thoughts. But teachers have to focus on their mission as teachers and ignore or re-direct the thoughts, never act on them. And that's more what tomboy4good was saying. That is the striving to treat people better. That doesn't mean a bad, animalistic thought never crosses your mind. It means you push it away and don't act on it.

Thank you, Janissy. Couldn't have made it more clear myself. What makes us different than animals is that most human beings know right from wrong. We don't have to give into animalistic behavior.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 5:54 pm

I'm sure they don't feel as guilty as they should, but I hope they feel extremely embarrassed. Those adults bullied a kid with special needs :x

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 8:43 pm

Dr. Drew is doing an interview with the daughter and father tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern time on HLN you got 18 minutes to tune in. 8)

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

18 Nov 2011, 9:04 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Here's another instance:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/250740/ ... -needs.htm

Teacher abused student, student recorded it. It sounds really vicious, too. That teacher practically screamed at Julio.
I heard about that specific story on one of the Seattle-area radio shows yesterday. The hosts were furious about how Julio was treated.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Nov 2011, 9:06 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Here's another instance:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/250740/ ... -needs.htm

Teacher abused student, student recorded it. It sounds really vicious, too. That teacher practically screamed at Julio.
I heard about that specific story on one of the Seattle-area radio shows yesterday. The hosts were furious about how Julio was treated.

I heard the very same show, I think. That's where I learned about Julio, at least. And the hosts were quite furious.

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2011, 10:14 pm

I don't even need to look at it...I know you failed!?!? What a B****! With a capital B.

-Skeksis-
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

This is disgusting behavior. Those teachers should be sacked and forever barred from being in contact with any vulnerable population.

There were some bad teachers when I was in school. I was bullied by them, and I witnessed bullying and neglectful and even racist behavior of these same teachers toward my classmates and friends. This wasn't subtle either. It was quite overt, but everyone just assumed "that's the way it is." It wasn't a special education environment either, but mainstream--and I can only imagine how awful it is being vulnerable in an isolated classroom environment.

I experienced and witnessed students being sworn at, a student being made fun of for his race, a friend of mine being called a liar and punished for a bullying situation involving another student, students being reduced to tears while teachers berated them. My friend was even struck by a teacher in kindergarten for having untied shoes. Looking back, it was unbelievable that anyone learned anything.