Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

truth15ful
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 7:05 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm writing a term paper for my english class about how people can use computers to become smarter (and by extension not to become dumber, as some people do) but I need to have citations and notecards for everything I write.I've written most of the paper, but I'm running out of information. The last part of my paper is how computers can help different areas of thinking, and therefore different people, more than others. My theory is that AS people need to be careful to set aside time where they can focus on a few things for a long time (exercising detail-oriented thinking and single-mindedness) and ADD people should practice multitasking and shifting focus regularly (non-detasil-oriented thinking and multimindedness).
Any thoughts or sources?
Thanks.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 7:08 pm

truth15ful wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm writing a term paper for my english class about how people can use computers to become smarter (and by extension not to become dumber, as some people do) but I need to have citations and notecards for everything I write.I've written most of the paper, but I'm running out of information. The last part of my paper is how computers can help different areas of thinking, and therefore different people, more than others. My theory is that AS people need to be careful to set aside time where they can focus on a few things for a long time (exercising detail-oriented thinking and single-mindedness) and ADD people should practice multitasking and shifting focus regularly (non-detasil-oriented thinking and multimindedness).
Any thoughts or sources?
Thanks.

I got a computer to help me Write. It worked.

truth15ful
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 8:37 pm

bcousins wrote:
truth15ful wrote:
Hi everyone,
Any thoughts or sources?
Thanks.

I got a computer to help me Write. It worked.

Well yes, but I meant any ideas on how some computers benefit certain people more than others.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 9:31 pm

People like me, who suffer from Googleitus, have grown to appreciate nearly infinite knowledge with only a few keystrokes.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 6:07 am

i can recommend you to do make a distinction between 'smarter' and 'more knowledgable', as they are seperate.
knowledgable is the amount of knowledge and information you have available, which is easy to increase with the use of google, whereas smarter implies an increased ability to actually *use* that information, something that gets easier with computers, but you wont really learn instant new skills