Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Az29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2011, 7:31 am

I hate being too hot or too cold, but particularly too hot. If I get too hot I start getting agitated and moody. Like yesterday we had the heating on to get some clothes dry on the radiator, I had to get dressed to take the dog out, I knew it would be cold out so I had to put a jumper and then a hoodie on. I was so hot and then I had to grab a few things like my keys and my phone and put the dogs lead on and by the time I got out I was so angry and was shouting and being snippy and I felt really itchy. I'm like that in hot weather too, if I get too hot outside I get angry and irritable and everything seems worst then it is (if you know what I mean) but I think most people get a little 'hot headed' in summertime.

I layer alot because then when I get too hot I can take a layer off to cool down, for example I felt cold a little while ago so I threw on my dressing gown (house coat whatever you want to call it). Then I got to the right temperature and was content, then I started getting a little too hot and I could feel the irritation rising so I took it off.

I sometimes can't concentrate if I'm too hot or too cold, I can't sleep if I'm too hot / too cold, sometimes I feel like I can't breathe properly if the air is too dry and I have to do weird stuff like wet my nostrils and lips / drink alot.

Something that works for me is if I get too hot I get something with a mint smell and slather myself in it (luckily I have a few perfumes with mint tones) and for some weird reason it works and I feel calmer / cooler.

CambridgeMAsspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2011, 9:09 am

Wow. Thanks everyone for all of your input. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

CambridgeMAsspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2011, 9:38 am

Aspie colony in Alaska? Who's with me? :)

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 11:59 am

I've jokingly referred to myself as an eskimo for quite some time now because I'm pretty much always the last person on earth to start wearing a jacket when it gets cold in the winter, and I've been known to wear shorts and a t-shirt to school when it's like 20 degrees(fahrenheit) out. I'm almost always too warm. In the summer, nobody has the a/c set high enough, and in the winter time, everyone has the heat way too damn high. I really hate humidity. I hate sweating. I hate feeling my entire body covered in sweat(unless maybe i had fun getting to that point... =P). Also, I'm pretty sure my body temperature is a degree or two lower than 98.6 because there have been times when I felt sick(I can tell when I have a fever generally, I feel unusually warm), but my temperature was at 98.6 or below. I never bothered to find out what it actually is though.

CambridgeMAsspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

DerStadtschutz wrote:
I've jokingly referred to myself as an eskimo for quite some time now because I'm pretty much always the last person on earth to start wearing a jacket when it gets cold in the winter, and I've been known to wear shorts and a t-shirt to school when it's like 20 degrees(fahrenheit) out. I'm almost always too warm. In the summer, nobody has the a/c set high enough, and in the winter time, everyone has the heat way too damn high. I really hate humidity. I hate sweating. I hate feeling my entire body covered in sweat(unless maybe i had fun getting to that point... =P). Also, I'm pretty sure my body temperature is a degree or two lower than 98.6 because there have been times when I felt sick(I can tell when I have a fever generally, I feel unusually warm), but my temperature was at 98.6 or below. I never bothered to find out what it actually is though.

Huh. My body temperature is also unusually low. :?

As a side note, I find it VERY helpful that we can hover over the emoticons to get a description of the emotion. I can't read emotion from emoticons anymore that I can from real faces.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

I don't really have a problem with hot or humid (or hot dry) weather, but I don't like super-cold weather. I can go outside with no shirt when it's snowing, for a few minutes and not feel any intolerable cold, and I can swing a 12-lb hammer in the sun when it's 115 and humid. What I CAN'T tolerate, is a hot bedroom. It needs to be <65F for me to sleep.

Charles

Ollytheaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

Doesn't so much make me uncomfortable being too hot but I do get tired and grubby after short periods in the heat.

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

Heat not so much, I actually enjoy hot weather as long as it's dry. Humidity, on the other hand, has a very negative effect on me, both physical and psychological at almost any temperature: it gets me down or makes me anxious and uneasy, unable to do much.

I am very sensitive to very cold weather though. Anything below 40 is unpleasant.

kx250rider wrote:
I don't really have a problem with hot or humid (or hot dry) weather, but I don't like super-cold weather. I can go outside with no shirt when it's snowing, for a few minutes and not feel any intolerable cold, and I can swing a 12-lb hammer in the sun when it's 115 and humid. What I CAN'T tolerate, is a hot bedroom. It needs to be <65F for me to sleep.

Charles

Oh, yeah kind of like that (except for the humidity): I can ride my bike all day in 90+ temperatures as long as it's dry, but I can't sleep if it's warm, or at least with plenty ventilation (like camping on a warm night is OK in an airy tent). Cold weather makes me dysfunctional, I have to bundle up in wool and high-tech jackets :) It looks like Arizona would be perfect for me: hot, dry days and cold nights.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

I've lived "way down yonder in the land of cotton" all my life, so it's all I've ever known for spring, summer, and fall. It's never really bothered me much until this year when I started having hot flashes because of my age and hormones.

Frances

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:01 pm

I can't stand heat. It's hard on me and it's torture. But odd thing is it didn't start to bother me until my body changed. Maybe it has to do with when my hormones changed so my sensitivity changed too. Maybe it started before that because I can remember being in 5th grade and I was hot so I had my clothes off while my family had blankets on.

I even have the heat down in my apartment and my son's room is way too hot for me and then I go out in the living room and it's nice and cool and it's cold for my husband but it's right for me. It feels warm out here for me too but it's just right. Sometimes my husband will put a blanket over me when he gets up because he finds the room cold and I am not covered up and I have no clothes on.

Fiebre
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2011, 6:18 pm

I'm exactly the opposite. I really love the heat and can't stand low temperatures. I've lived most of my life in a relatively cold place and every winter my mood was much lower than in summer, I called it my compulsory winter depression. Seriously, when I had to go out (I did it as little as I could) you could only see my eyes because of all the clothes I used to put on. And I was always on the verge of crying, it always hurt and was very irritating to be outdoors in winter.

Now that I live in a different climate, no one actually believes I can stand the heat that well and actually enjoy it, meanwhile when it's just a bit colder than usual I feel horrible.

ManicMinx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Nov 2011, 1:06 am

I despise summertime. My birthday is in the summer, and though I would love to celebrate it at the beach, the heat and humidity is enough to drive me insane. I told myself that when wintertime came around I would not complain about it being too cold, but sure enough, it was cold for a few days and it pissed me off.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 1:41 am

I already grew accustomed to heat, as 90 degrees Fahrenheit is the standard outdoor temperature here. I'd consider room temperature (21 degrees Celsius, 69.8 degrees Fahrenheit) as cool already.

invisiblespectrum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Nov 2011, 2:12 am

Yes... I hate heat and humidity! I have issues with bright light too so hot, humid, sunny summer days are my enemies. I am not very fond of air conditioning either; it is the lesser of two evils and I'm glad it exists but I am so much happier when it is cool enough that I don't need it.

On the other hand I deal quite well with cold... I mean, it is possible for me to get cold but I have a much higher tolerance for it than most people.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 8:01 am

I can most definitely deal with the cold weather here in Minnesota's winters a lot better than our hot, humid summers. I always figure if I get cold, I can always put more layers of clothing on... but when I'm too hot, I can only take off what I'm wearing, and still be too hot. The humidity doesn't help with my asthma, either - sometimes it gets hard to breathe.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 8:10 am

Nothing will toughen a person u like living in Minnesota (as I did for 15 years.) Except maybe being exiled to Siberia. Which, coincidentally is the only other place in the world that has such extremes of hot and cold as does Minnesota. Where does the US exile it's artists and radicals to? Oh, that's right...