Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm

My poor son was assessed by the local Autism Service today I was lucky to get this appointment as the waiting list is long. To be honest I bombarded them and it worked :lol:

My son already has a private dx AS, but here in Ireland to get services in the school you need the local services.

There findings were childhood autism /High functioning Autism for my son I can't confuse him any more with different labels we will stick with AS.

Just wondering about childhood autism and what is the difference between this and AS. HFA from what I know is the same or pretty much.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 2:57 pm

If you do a search you will find many threads on AS vs HFA. It is also addressed in Tracker's book. Most people on here will state there is very little difference and with the new DSM there will be no diagnostic difference at all. Basically, AS is dx'd if there are no language delays. Some believe there are more fundamental differences, such as HFA having more difficulty with language lifelong, such as seen in Mixed Expressive-Receptive Language Disorder and Expressive Language Disorder. That's all I know from what I've read.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:01 pm

As I understand it High Functioning Autism is an umbrella term that includes Asperger's syndrome. It can also refer to people who've been diagnosed as having high functioning PDD-NOS and classic autism ... maybe they're trying to phase out the Asperger label by calling it childhood autism.