I worry my 18 month old has aspergers

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

My brother, father and I all have aspergers I am a ninteen year old woman and my son doesn't like to be touched or cuddled He is pretty difficult for his age, when meeting other children he seems slightly different, I don't know what it is, he rarely makes eye contact and likes doing things like taking things(saucepans) out of the cupboard one by one putting them on the doormat and then when he has done that he takes them all off the doormat and puts them back again.
he also has NO attention span!
He is my angel and perfect in my eyes but he is still quite a difficult child for his age!
any advise?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 4:12 pm

Congratulations on having a child who puts things back in the cupboard when he's finished with them! :D

Seriously, it's way too soon to tell anything and all young children are strange in different ways. Love him, enjoy him!

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

18 months is not too soon to suspect ASD. Just be on the lookout, if in addition to the little things you've noticed if he loses acquired language or starts missing milestones - those are big red flags for autism and PDD-NOS. If you notice those things you should notify the pediatrician and get the ball rolling if you think he'd benefit from early intervention. I could tell my son was autistic at 18 months and he was diagnosed at 2 years, he could have been diagnosed sooner if those around me had taken my concerns seriously.

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2011, 6:31 pm

If he does, tell him "welcome to our world."

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 6:51 pm

What country are you in? Can you call EI/get an eval?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 7:17 pm

He could be. IDK what age kids are typically dx'd where you live but I was dx'd at 18 months myself in the early 90's.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 7:34 pm

Sometimes it can be diagnosed very young, sometimes it can't (with my son it could not have been). But I firmly believe that what a child needs most, either way (NT or AS or severe) is a parent who doesn't give up on him, tunes into his needs, and does her best to meet them. Engage with your child, learn his quirks, don't force overload on him, and enjoy him.

If you are seeing issues that seem appropriate for early intervention (I read none in your post), then bring it up with your pediatrician.

JMHO, of course.

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2011, 7:15 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Sometimes it can be diagnosed very young, sometimes it can't (with my son it could not have been). But I firmly believe that what a child needs most, either way (NT or AS or severe) is a parent who doesn't give up on him, tunes into his needs, and does her best to meet them. Engage with your child, learn his quirks, don't force overload on him, and enjoy him.

If you are seeing issues that seem appropriate for early intervention (I read none in your post), then bring it up with your pediatrician.

JMHO, of course.

He seems quite happy anyway and that's all that matters, I have voiced my concerns to my health visitor and she said It's just something to keep an eye on.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 9:34 am

I would disagree with your visitor. Early intevention is essential with autism, at least so say the studies.

Is your son speaking yet?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 12:31 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
I would disagree with your visitor. Early intevention is essential with autism, at least so say the studies.

But I think the age to start varies, and how much difference it makes varies, by exactly what is going on. Which I guess we really don't know.

I've noticed how literally panicked some young parents are about this issue, and that panic can have negative effects of its own. The biggest thing a toddler needs is a parent truly there for him, as v one obsessed wth what might be wrong.

If a parent is out and about, introducing their toddler to the world while keeping eyes and ears open, they'll get enough clues to be able to take the right path. It's an imperfect guide, I know that, but I think it's better than running up wasteful bills on hard to make assessments. You can't fear, and you can't brush off. I think a parent well informed and tuned into their instincts, instead of the noise of the world, is the best chance for a child. JHMO.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 3:35 pm

These days, parents seem to overreact about minor things their kids do. Like if their baby doesn't want to be held, it must be autism. If their baby won't eat what they are giving them, it must be autism. If their baby isn't playing with their toys the right way yet, it must be autism. If their baby isn't playing with other babies yet, it must be autism and so on. I just think these are all minor and it's too soon to worry and the best thing they can do is keep en eye out for more symptoms. Even articles on development keep saying every child is different so parents won't worry if the page doesn't fit their child to a T. That is good it says that so people will know it's not black and white and not panic when their child doesn't reach those mildstones like the articles say they would at that age.

Me, I am not worried about my son and my husband agrees he is normal so far. I was told kids don't start pretend play until they get to nine months and my son hasn't done that yet and he still pushes his toys on wheels around the room and feels things and put stuff in his mouth and doesn't really play with the toys yet so I am not worried and all babies develop at their own pace. Perhaps nine months is just a guideline. Some start doing it sooner and some do it later. Plus he doesn't always want to be held because he wriggles and squirms and then I put him down and bam he is crying so what does he want? I just ignore it and put him to bed thinking he must be tired because he is cranky. If he has been fed already he must be tired. But everything else about him is normal. I would rather wait until my child is months behind in his milestones before I start to worry but minor things I won't worry about. BTW my baby didn't eat everything and hardly ate when I started him on solids so I didn't force it on him and just fed him breast milk often than solids. I just figured he wasn't ready for solids even though they say to start your baby on solids at six months so I did and I was told by WIC to feed him three times a day but he hardly would take it. Now he will eat it because he is older. I could have panicked thinking he was having food issues so it must be autism since it's so common in them but every baby is different so he probably wasn't ready so he had very little.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

Here is a list of warning signs for autism that you need to start to look at around 12 months of age but most do not get a diagnosis until after age 2 for classic autism and typically not until between 5 and 7 for Aspergers...but there are kids who are getting diagnosed earlier depending on where you live.

Does not babble or coo by 12 months of age
Does not gesture (point, wave, grasp, etc.) by 12 months of age
Does not say single words by 16 months of age
Does not say two-word phrases on his or her own (rather than just repeating what someone says to him or her) by 24 months of age
Has any loss of any language or social skill at any age.
The child does not respond to his/her name.
The child cannot explain what he/she wants.

Language skills or speech are delayed.
The child doesn't follow directions.
At times, the child seems to be deaf.
The child seems to hear sometimes, but not others.
The child doesn't point or wave bye-bye.
The child used to say a few words or babble, but now he/she doesn't.
The child throws intense or violent tantrums.
The child has odd movement patterns.
The child is hyperactive, uncooperative, or oppositional.
The child doesn't know how to play with toys.
The child doesn't smile when smiled at.
The child has poor eye contact.
The child gets "stuck" on things over and over and can't move on to other things.
The child seems to prefer to play alone.
The child gets things for him/herself only.
The child is very independent for his/her age.
The child does things "early" compared to other children.
The child seems to be in his/her "own world."
The child seems to tune people out.
The child is not interested in other children.
The child walks on his/her toes.
The child shows unusual attachments to toys, objects, or schedules (i.e., always holding a string or having to put socks on before pants.)
Child spends a lot of time lining things up or putting things in a certain order.

League_Girl if you son is under 9 months you are right there is nothing really to look for but subtle signs that could be nothing. Start watching around age 1 to 3 years. Also my classic autistic daughter (now age 6) babbled but it was different than other babies, I noticed that as she was my 5th baby, and she was still doing it at age 3 (she started speaking between 3 and 4 years old)....she also made animal sounds before she spoke actual words. We had one word at around 18 months "Ice" but she would go for a month or two and then say it again. She never pointed or waved but would take you by the wrist and put your hand on what she wanted. She did not respond to her name and spent hours lining up plastic animals.

When she was a baby she did not mind being held. I was into "baby wearing" I carried her in a sling a lot of the time but as she got older she got more tactile sensitive we and her OT worked with her, she is better but is not into being cuddled unless it is her idea, she is ill, or it is me, she is very attached to me. She will hold hands with the kids at school (shes not thrilled about the boys but will do it if her aide asks her, shes had the same aide for two years) but she does not like to have her face touched, this freaks her out. Of course we (me, my husband and my son and older daughters) can touch her and hug her far more than other people can, as I said, she feels more comfortable with us. On the other hand my Son, who is now 9 and was diagnosed with Aspergers at age 6 is like a velcro child, we are still working on teaching him that other boys his age dont really like to be hugged.

Just wanted to add that its funny how many things you remember you child did do before he or she was diagnosed that you didnt really think was a sign but you now know. Like my daughter when she was around 12 months she would hold a tiny piece of fuzz or thread or something she had found between her first finger and thumb for hours. At the time we just thought it was cute and she seemed so interested and intent on holding this thing. Sometimes she would go to bed with it and then finally drop it and forget about it until she found something else.

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

liloleme wrote:
Here is a list of warning signs for autism that you need to start to look at around 12 months of age but most do not get a diagnosis until after age 2 for classic autism and typically not until between 5 and 7 for Aspergers...but there are kids who are getting diagnosed earlier depending on where you live.

Does not say two-word phrases on his or her own (rather than just repeating what someone says to him or her) by 24 months of age

The child gets "stuck" on things over and over and can't move on to other things.
The child shows unusual attachments to toys, objects, or schedules (i.e., always holding a string or having to put socks on before pants.)
Child spends a lot of time lining things up or putting things in a certain order.

League_Girl if you son is under 9 months you are right there is nothing really to look for but subtle signs that could be nothing. Start watching around age 1 to 3 years. Also my classic autistic daughter (now age 6) babbled but it was different than other babies, I noticed that as she was my 5th baby, and she was still doing it at age 3 (she started speaking between 3 and 4 years old)....she also made animal sounds before she spoke actual words. We had one word at around 18 months "Ice" but she would go for a month or two and then say it again. She never pointed or waved but would take you by the wrist and put your hand on what she wanted. She did not respond to her name and spent hours lining up plastic animals.

When she was a baby she did not mind being held. I was into "baby wearing" I carried her in a sling a lot of the time but as she got older she got more tactile sensitive we and her OT worked with her, she is better but is not into being cuddled unless it is her idea, she is ill, or it is me, she is very attached to me. She will hold hands with the kids at school (shes not thrilled about the boys but will do it if her aide asks her, shes had the same aide for two years) but she does not like to have her face touched, this freaks her out. Of course we (me, my husband and my son and older daughters) can touch her and hug her far more than other people can, as I said, she feels more comfortable with us. On the other hand my Son, who is now 9 and was diagnosed with Aspergers at age 6 is like a velcro child, we are still working on teaching him that other boys his age dont really like to be hugged.

Just wanted to add that its funny how many things you remember you child did do before he or she was diagnosed that you didnt really think was a sign but you now know. Like my daughter when she was around 12 months she would hold a tiny piece of fuzz or thread or something she had found between her first finger and thumb for hours. At the time we just thought it was cute and she seemed so interested and intent on holding this thing. Sometimes she would go to bed with it and then finally drop it and forget about it until she found something else.

Some good signs to look for. Also check out the information provided by the Center for Disease Control on child development:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/childdevelopment/index.html

You also might want to check out the Early Start Denver Model, which is a play-based intervention program for toddlers. (See article below.)

http://www.autismspeaks.org/about-us/pr ... tudy-finds

For speech and social DVDs for this age, I recommend checking out the following:

http://www.special-kids.com/
http://www.babybumblebee.com/
http://www.teach2talk.com/

Which DVDs work will depend on the child. Used copies of DVDs and videos from the above sites are available at Amazon.com

You can check out the "autism links" page on my free website, www.freevideosforautistickids.com , for more links. You can check out my free YouTube Channels, too. (See the bottom of this page).

In my opinion, early intervention is a must for the following reasons:
1) Research strongly supports it.
2) A baby's brain develops quickly and can often learn more information than an "old" brain.
3) Older children tend to be less cooperative.
4) Children often take a lot longer to learn than predicted.
5) Some children with mild impairments may be able to be fully ready to go to school without accomodations with sufficient early intervention.
6) Trying to squeeze in therapy appointments after school around homework is difficult for everyone.
7) When the child starts school, he or she may experience academic difficulties or new behavior problems that will need to be addressed.
8) Speech and behavioral issues can affect the child's academic progress and performance; anything that can be addressed before the child starts school will be very helpful.
9) The child may be less likely to be bullied or face discrimination if he or she has developed some social skills before starting school.

Some kids do turn around without intervention. I think that this happens more often with a very bright child without severe issues. However, you cannot predict if your child will be one of the lucky ones.

Good luck!

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 7:42 pm

MCHAT test will give you a good idea.
http://www.firstsigns.org/downloads/m-chat.PDF

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 7:44 pm

liloleme wrote:

My son has reached some mildstones early such as crawling, sitting, standing on his feet using furniture, cruising and now he can walk around the room by himself without falling down. He will be 11 months in a few days. He started crawling a few days before he turned six months and then he was all of a sudden pulling himself up to his knees and then to his feet all at six months. Then at nine months, he took his first steps without holding onto anything and everyone was calling that walking. Now he is very close to real walking. He still has to use furniture to get on his feet and he still falls down when he walks. He is crawling less and less. I am not worried about it. Plenty of children do things early and turn out not autistic. I bet there are parents out there who will worry because of horror stories out there about how autistic children were early developers and then things went wrong when they reached a certain age so they think oh no their kid could be autistic in the future because he walked early or crawled early. That's how silly people get. I would rather sit back and play it by ear and wait and see and not worry about it until it gets serious. What if the child didn't develop autism? Then the parents had wasted their time of energy worrying about something that never was going to happen. Some NT kids do show autistic signs and then outgrow them. Joe90 has mentioned that several times about her brother who is NT so that shows its too soon to worry.

Some things listed I don't see as a big deal. Doing things early for one, lining things up, walking on toes (unless you want to worry about the kid getting teased about it when they go to school so you try and do something about that now), not playing with toys right, being independent for their age, unusual attachments, not interested in other kids (unless the parents are worried about their kid not developing social skills because he or she isn't around other kids to learn them but that only works with NT kids). There are things I don't get that are a big deal so they are seen as a red flag when to me it's nothing because it's not a big deal unless you get sick of your child taking everything off of shelves and lining them up and not ever putting them back and he or she makes huge messes because of it.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 8:30 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
SuperTrouper wrote:

But I think the age to start varies, and how much difference it makes varies, by exactly what is going on. Which I guess we really don't know.

I've noticed how literally panicked some young parents are about this issue, and that panic can have negative effects of its own. The biggest thing a toddler needs is a parent truly there for him, as v one obsessed wth what might be wrong.

If a parent is out and about, introducing their toddler to the world while keeping eyes and ears open, they'll get enough clues to be able to take the right path. It's an imperfect guide, I know that, but I think it's better than running up wasteful bills on hard to make assessments. You can't fear, and you can't brush off. I think a parent well informed and tuned into their instincts, instead of the noise of the world, is the best chance for a child. JHMO.

DW, agree with you. To be clear, panic is NEVER in order with ASD. It's just not helpful. But my concern would be that the signs exhibited by a child with AS at 18 months aren't entirely different from those exhibited by a child with severe autism. If you watch some videos of me at 2, you'd think "uh oh," and others you think "cute and quirky" and nothing more. And so, that is why I recommend an eval with EI. If it's nothing, EI will tell you it's nothing. If it's something, they'll tell you that. But no, no panicking. Just calm, good parenting, and maybe a phone call.