Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but people tell me I don't look like myself in photos. It goes as far as people not recognizing me from the pics (which is sometimes tricky when it comes to ID checks and stuff).

The thing is, I look much better in pics than in real life. When I say "better", I don't mean "more attractive" (though that's true, too), I mean I look more... I don't know, sane? Regular? My eyes are sharp and focused, because I don't have a problem to focus at the camera.

In real life, though, people say my eyes look unfocused. I do maintain eye contact but obviously I can't do it right so the whole impression of me is different. At least that's what I think it is; I don't know what else it could be.

(Not to mention it's frustrating when people say: "oooh, this is you? You look soooo good in this pic, I would NEVER recognize you!)

I know I'm photogenic and while I'm not asking to look great in real life, I wonder if there's something I can do about this.

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2011, 2:11 pm

And i look worse on pictures than in real-life. Unfotogenic.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

I look bad in both real life and pictures-ugh I am pathetic no wonder people turn away from me.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 3:08 pm

Another dichotomy is when people look differently in mirror and in picture. I think I look better in mirror. In real life, I just don't know. Perhaps calmness, reduced level of anxiety, better body posture, more attention on own facial expressions and body language, a better sense of yourself overall might help.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 3:28 pm

I always look goofy in photos. I don't know how to smile on command. I show teeth and squint My eyes. Not pretty.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

Everyone I've met in person looks worse in standard quality pictures. I definitely don't see in any photo what I view in the mirror either. They are very different. The only images I'm not embarassed to share are my glamour photoes. At least those look a little more accurate.

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 7:20 pm

Many people look horrible in pictures. I don't know why.

I have the opposite problem; I look good in pictures. So i guess it's something about my posture or mannerisms, or incorrect eye contact that make me look different/worse in real life.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2011, 7:25 pm

It seems to me a lot of people look better in pics....oh well

I always feel like I look different in every one of my pics, which is hard for me....its kind of weird and complicated

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2011, 7:36 pm

You're face is reversed in mirrors as opposed to Photos.. So you are likely to look different.

Samara1991
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

I cant stand looking at me in up to date pics but i love looking at pics from when I was about 13 and younger

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

I look insane in both photos and real life. I didn't know how to smile properly for many years!

Samara1991
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I look insane in both photos and real life. I didn't know how to smile properly for many years!

I also hate pictures where I'm smiling or looking into the camera. I don't know how to fake a smile so I always look either confused or just plain awkward. I think the whole looking into the camera has to do with viewing the photos and having to make eye contact with myself :?