Page 1 of 14 [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Nov 2011, 1:23 am

I really don't understand this. The only thing I actually know about the group is that commercial about the guy that had a son with autism, and that their symbol is a multicolored puzzle piece.

And For No Apparent Reason... I thought I'd link you to this website (it honestly disgusted me):
http://www.godhatesgoths.com/godhatesretards.html

Kail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2011, 1:47 am

I like that website....*because*

it's a very CLEAR reminder that the devil does exist on earth... and he is called lucifer.

or in better terms - Moral integrity isn't being resolved anytime soon.

We should spam evolution articles to that guy's lucifarian* website!

I was wondering if this could be interpreted as a joke - "what don't we like about autism talks... the talking?"

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 1:49 am

that was sick

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2011, 1:49 am

I don't know what the general community's problem with Autism Speaks is, but my problem with it is that the organization appears to exist for the purpose of supporting the friends and family of autists rather than the autists themselves. Many of their advertising campaigns that I have seen emphasize the difficulty autism causes for the otherwise "normal" families who have to take care of those poor souls afflicted with autism. They want to find a cure for autism more than they are interested in facilitating dialogue between autists and neurotypicals, and they claim that autism is a growing epidemic, as if it is a disease. And while I hope I didn't misinterpret anything, even if I did, most of the people to whom I've spoken who don't (consciously) personally know anyone with autism seem to have interpreted their marketing the same way. So even if that's not the message they meant to spread, that's the message that's getting out.

I think God Hates Goths is supposed to be a parody of the Westboro Baptist Church. It's not a very funny one, but...

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Nov 2011, 3:17 am

SilverShoelaces wrote:
I don't know what the general community's problem with Autism Speaks is, but my problem with it is that the organization appears to exist for the purpose of supporting the friends and family of autists rather than the autists themselves. Many of their advertising campaigns that I have seen emphasize the difficulty autism causes for the otherwise "normal" families who have to take care of those poor souls afflicted with autism. They want to find a cure for autism more than they are interested in facilitating dialogue between autists and neurotypicals, and they claim that autism is a growing epidemic, as if it is a disease. And while I hope I didn't misinterpret anything, even if I did, most of the people to whom I've spoken who don't (consciously) personally know anyone with autism seem to have interpreted their marketing the same way. So even if that's not the message they meant to spread, that's the message that's getting out.

I think God Hates Goths is supposed to be a parody of the Westboro Baptist Church. It's not a very funny one, but...

Autism Speaks: So... People are upset because the 'group' supports the families instead of the people?

God Hates Goths: If God Hates Goths is supposed to be a parody, then what I want to know is why is he just calling out the Goths and the ret*ds as he put it? I mean he called out the women, but that was just wrong what he wrote (http://godhatesgoths.com/godhateswomen.html). Plus, how are his 'followers' (or, y'know, lemmings) buying into this? 'Cause, IMHO, any person that thinks that people that are different from him definitely needs to be stoned halfway to death (that's Ancient Israelite punishment, for ya), hung, and have his naked body dragged through the streets.

Never mind. It apparently is satire (http://godhatesgoths.com/disclaimer.html), but still though...

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 3:32 am

DarthMaul wrote:
Autism Speaks: So... People are upset because the 'group' supports the families instead of the people?

No, iot supports the concerns of parents to the exclusion of the people affected. They treat all of us as untouchables whenever we try to actually speak as part of the debate about who we are and why or say how they are wrong. The very notion of us being independent is alien to them because for them we are ret*ds, and that's all.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 9:21 am

The reason that I dislike Autism Speaks, is because of that Autism Everyday video. I especially don't care for that one mother who is changing her son's diaper with her voice in the background talking as though being in diapers is the worst thing in the world. I also don't like the mother who said that she was thinking about driving herself and her daughter off the bridge, but she has thank got another daughter at home who is NT, so she stopped herself from doing it. I also think it's wrong how those other parents kept on forcing their son to go to the park, so he would play like the typical children. Autism Speaks is also using their money for prenatal testing that will lead to abortion. I'm Pro-Life and I believe that all children are a gift from God and that everybody who's conceived should be given a chance at life from conception until natural death. This is all I have to add to this thread. I will not be going back to read it. Here's the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDMMwG7RrFQ

Until they show that they're serious about changing their ways by making a public apology for us on the spectrum for showing that video, I will not support them. I hope that woman remembers what she said about her son who was 5 in that video when she's in a nursing home at an old age and a nurse is changing her Depends.

Yes, I have that same type of incontinence and that's why that video strikes a nerve with me. I've answered the question before I was asked and I'm living an independent life and looking for a part time job that has more hours. If a certain role model of mine was able to tour the world wearing diapers, I sure as heck can work for 4 hours a day with the same condition.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

In my opinion, I find Autism Speaks to be like the God Hates Fags group, PeTA, KKK, and Opus Dei. I find them bigoted, hypocritical, and delusional, taking advantage of families of autistics to gain money, at the autistics' expense. Never before have I seen a group that claims to speak for autistics when I see no autistic member among their ranks.

Plus, their tagline "It's time to listen" is so annoying. Listen to what? To them? To their bigotry? I don't think so. They don't speak for us, that's what.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 11:15 am

DarthMaul wrote:
Never mind. It apparently is satire (http://godhatesgoths.com/disclaimer.html), but still though...

NT satire and it isn't actually hiding disgust for all we know. So yeah...

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

20 Nov 2011, 1:37 pm

That link was a satire? Of what?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

Well they seem to have the misconception that if they make us all behave normally, it will make our lives better.......regardless of the fact that being constantly trained to act in ways that don't make a whole lot of sense can actually probably do more harm then good. Sometimes it's society that needs to adjust itself to fit the needs of the community, not the other way around.

Also I don't like all their corporate funding......sorry but f*ck the machine!

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU2paLv1MGE[/youtube]

Video courtesy of misterzonkerharris and YouTube; all rights reserved.

This video says it all about what Autism Speaks thinks of persons with an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 10:00 pm

they tried to make a pre natal test to abort autistic babies.
they have censored parodies and criticism put up by autistic people.
they claim to represent us but they refuse to include us in anything they do.
they are biased towards conspiracy theories and sometimes deadly treatments of autism, see their forums.

Kail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2011, 11:07 pm

rjgwood
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Nov 2011, 11:58 pm

Autism Speaks really put me in a dark place after finding out about my daughter's diagnosis and viewing their video in which a board member, with her non-verbal daughter standing beside her, says she would put her daughter with autism in the car and drive off a bridge if it wasn't for the sake of her non-autistic child. That really sent me into despair, the entire tone of the video was just terrible and tragic, telling me that my daughter was being robbed from me...etc.

It was not until I met adult autistics online who basically told me to snap out of it and appreciate the uniqueness of my daughter that I was able to come to terms with the diagnosis. That is my problem with the organization.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

rjgwood wrote:
Autism Speaks really put me in a dark place after finding out about my daughter's diagnosis and viewing their video in which a board member, with her non-verbal daughter standing beside her, says she would put her daughter with autism in the car and drive off a bridge if it wasn't for the sake of her non-autistic child. That really sent me into despair, the entire tone of the video was just terrible and tragic, telling me that my daughter was being robbed from me...etc.

It was not until I met adult autistics online who basically told me to snap out of it and appreciate the uniqueness of my daughter that I was able to come to terms with the diagnosis. That is my problem with the organization.

I think we should frame this post and put it on a billboard.

Seriously, THIS is the problem with the PR approach they took, and if they don't understand it, they need to.

The post is also a testament to why the voices of those with the condition are so important for parents et al to hear.

Thank you so much for sharing, rigwood.