What percentage of WP posters are NT?

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 382
Location: Central Europe

21 Nov 2011, 6:26 pm

Apologies for the trivial, apparently discriminatory nature of this thread but I'm a bit drunk and I'm genuinely curious to know the answer. I just read on another thread that a surprisingly large number of WP posters are NT and I imagine that it's in fact true. So, what would your estimate be of the percentage? (And does it matter?)



bumble
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073

21 Nov 2011, 6:44 pm

I am not officially diagnosed as having an ASD so I guess I have to class myself as a very weird NT



sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Age: 121
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,985

21 Nov 2011, 6:51 pm

I don't think there's any possible way to answer this question. :P

As long as the vast majority of posters on here are benevolent, and nobody's purposely spreading misleading/wrong information, it doesn't really matter.


_________________
Into the dark...


Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,148

21 Nov 2011, 6:55 pm

I don't have a diagnosis either, although my son is diagnosed with Asperger's. I have wondered about myself and did ask my GP to refer me for an assessment, twice, which he failed to do. I've now come to the conclusion that I'm not on the Spectrum, but I do share my son's perspectives on many things.

I don't think it's a problem if people are honest and straightforward about themselves, their diagnostic status (for want of a better expression) and understand that this place is primarily an autistic community with values and aims which spring from that.



sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Age: 121
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,985

21 Nov 2011, 6:59 pm

Marcia wrote:
I don't have a diagnosis either, although my son is diagnosed with Asperger's. I have wondered about myself and did ask my GP to refer me for an assessment, twice, which he failed to do. I've now come to the conclusion that I'm not on the Spectrum, but I do share my son's perspectives on many things.

I don't think it's a problem if people are honest and straightforward about themselves, their diagnostic status (for want of a better expression) and understand that this place is primarily an autistic community with values and aims which spring from that.


Yes, I agree. Honest about themselves to the best of their abilities - I think many people come to this site because they are uncertain whether they have it or not. I think there's very few deliberate pretenders on here.


_________________
Into the dark...


Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 485
Location: Melbourne, Australia

21 Nov 2011, 7:20 pm

I am probably your 'run of the mill' NT and my son was diagnosed with AS around a month & a half ago - I use this site to try and get some perspective and insight into what the world is like for him and to get some advise from those who know best.


_________________
Mum to 7 year old DS (AS) and 3 year old DD (NT)


DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,492
Location: The Poconos, Pennsylvania

21 Nov 2011, 7:39 pm

I am unusual even for someone officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, especially considering I have Manic Depression (most likely Bipolar that is much more on the agressive side), possible borderline personality disorder, and social anxiety disorder on top of it.


_________________
Myers Brigg - ISTP
Socionics - ISTx
Enneagram - 6w5

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/


Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 382
Location: Central Europe

21 Nov 2011, 8:32 pm

sunshower wrote:
Marcia wrote:
I don't have a diagnosis either, although my son is diagnosed with Asperger's. I have wondered about myself and did ask my GP to refer me for an assessment, twice, which he failed to do. I've now come to the conclusion that I'm not on the Spectrum, but I do share my son's perspectives on many things.

I don't think it's a problem if people are honest and straightforward about themselves, their diagnostic status (for want of a better expression) and understand that this place is primarily an autistic community with values and aims which spring from that.


Yes, I agree. Honest about themselves to the best of their abilities - I think many people come to this site because they are uncertain whether they have it or not. I think there's very few deliberate pretenders on here.


That was my reason for coming to the site, too, so I can empathise with that :) . I'm pretty sure when I think about it that just about everybody who is interested in the site has a good reason for being here. I forgot about the parents of ASD people, too.



swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 8:50 pm

I heard it was 80% the last time I checked. Many NTs, true to their colors, will pretend to be something they're not in order to "fit in" and so that's why you see so much NT behavior on the forums despite that many are claiming to have aspergers in their profile. (Most NTs lie all the time to fit in, so it happens.)



Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,420
Location: in my brain

21 Nov 2011, 8:58 pm

I recall a couple of polls from the past, where the officially-diagnosed to not-officially-diagnosed ratio was 2:1. Assuming that all non-officially diagnosed people are NT (not an assumption I agree with, but for the sake of argument), then about 33% should be NT (not including parents, and others with ASD family members).

Of course, this is not scientific and could have many flaws, but I suspect most other estimates of NT's here are also flawed.



SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,118
Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

21 Nov 2011, 9:08 pm

Good question. There's no way to truly tell what percentage of WP posters are Autistic or NT. I hope that everyone who joins WP honestly checks the box under "Diagnosis", but I'd be kidding myself if I didn't think that some members are lying.



MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2011
Age: 67
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,030
Location: New England

21 Nov 2011, 9:18 pm

Here's a poll in the Stats category:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt117172.html



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,615
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

21 Nov 2011, 9:19 pm

Well even if I don't have AS(cant say for sure since its never been made official.) I am certainly not neurotypical.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


bumble
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073

21 Nov 2011, 9:31 pm

What exactly do people categories as NT or NT behaviour?



swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Nov 2011, 9:36 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well even if I don't have AS(cant say for sure since its never been made official.) I am certainly not neurotypical.


What the "neurotypical" stereotype is and what "neurotypical" REALLY means are two very different things. Not every NT is a socially successful party animal as one would be lead to believe around here. NTs have their fair share of depressed, introverted losers and weirdos.



SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 372

21 Nov 2011, 9:40 pm

swbluto wrote:
I heard it was 80% the last time I checked. Many NTs, true to their colors, will pretend to be something they're not in order to "fit in" and so that's why you see so much NT behavior on the forums despite that many are claiming to have aspergers in their profile. (Most NTs lie all the time to fit in, so it happens.)


I'm an NT and confused about why NTs would pretend to be autistic here? Does that actually happen?

Also, I'm getting the feeling you aren't too warm and fuzzy about NTs....